Close

Default Mercury Capri buck tag

Ok, after spending the better part of the morning, I was able to extract my buck tag. It reads as follows
    9R14F616673 11C T
    F5 9 H K QT
    stamped through letters B F (both backwards)
    BP D C
    RS 61
    Thanks guys
    Last edited by riffenfool; 02-17-2008 at 08:33 PM.
    I am very interested in Capris, Mustangs, Shelbys, and Saleens. Basically, if you cut me, I bleed Ford blue.

Going to need a lot of information about the vehicle before I can even begin to decode that.

All I can tell you right now is that it's from a '79 RS w/ a 5.0L engine, that was built at the San Jose (Milpitas), CA assembly plant.

Whatever you think you're going to need FC, the car's outside in my garage, just let me know. There is a copy of my Marti report here, maybe that will help you in what you need, here's the link.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=50274
    I am very interested in Capris, Mustangs, Shelbys, and Saleens. Basically, if you cut me, I bleed Ford blue.

Early ('79-'81) Body/Buck Tags are done differently than later ('82-'86) Tags. San Jose also did their tags different than Dearborn did. I can only guess on some of it (the parts with a '?'), and other parts I have no idea.

9R14F616673 = VIN
    (1)1C = Black exterior paint color
    T
    F5 = 5.0L V8 w/ four-speed manual overdrive transmission
    H
    K
    QT
    BP
    D
    C = console (?)
    RS = RS model/trim level
    61 = Capri model line (?)

We're going to need a lot more early tags and tags from San Jose-built cars, and complete information about the vehicles they came from.

Any help that you have given is greatly appreciated FC. The only way that all of these codes will ever get figured out is for everyone to submit their tags year by year, and plant by plant, and basically compare cars. Dearborn and SJ cars are going to have to be seperated into two categories. We are going to need everyone's help on this.
    Last edited by riffenfool; 02-18-2008 at 01:25 AM.