Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have found a part number for what the dodge parts person described as a 17''x7.5'' steel wheel from a 2006 Magnum/300 .......it is #4782466AB......I don't know if this helps anyone or if it even the same wheel. He said it listed for $107 canadian, and said if I were to buy four wheels, it would be about $75 apiece. I ahve contacted Stockton wheel about 17'' steelies and they said, that they can make thheir series 32 wheel in widths up to 9'' and backspaced up to 6.5''.........but they ain't cheap people. They ring in at a ghastly $200 US per wheel..........just thought people may need this info.

Nice and evil look.
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

I may have to sell my steelies soon
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Why?

On an unrelated note: I'm trying to figure out how to attach studs to the rims so as to use the old dog dish hub caps...

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

I meant to post last night... put coilovers and new rear springs on. The rear sits too low and rubs a lot, but it looks cool. Will probably have to go with the 05 Stang wheels again.

screw that, get stiffer springs and set the coilover ride hight at max, throw stealies back on. problem solved!
    1984 LTD Wagon - S3AHAUS
    1988 Mustang LX 5.0 Hatchback - NOBIMMR
    1997 BMW 318ti - TinyBimmer
    2001 BMW 325i Wagon - ANTICW

I'd like to put a set of steelies on the SVO, but I think that they would stick out too far.
    83 GT Turbo

Hey Scott: I have fallen for the dodge steelie look, other than being the wrong offset for your particular combination of suspension parts, have you noticed any runout, Or vibration out of the ordinary after having the wheel and tire combination properly balanced?.. what about wheel lug nut backing off after a period of time after proper torque has been applied?.........

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Wiese View Post
    Hey Scott: I have fallen for the dodge steelie look, other than being the wrong offset for your particular combination of suspension parts, have you noticed any runout, Or vibration out of the ordinary after having the wheel and tire combination properly balanced?.. what about wheel lug nut backing off after a period of time after proper torque has been applied?.........
    I haven't had any problems at all with vibrations, etc, but I don't drive this car a lot (maybe once or twice a week, and less now since it needs a new starter and I'm not chomping at the bit to fix it) and I just did a bunch of suspension work which required me to pull off the wheels, so I didn't check wheel torque.

The wheel hub bore seems to be exactly the same as the hubs on the car, or at least super close, so that would help a lot as far as not having vibrations, etc.

I was doing some research on the Crown Vic cop car 17" steelies on CrownVic.net and it seems that several of them have been running the Mopar wheels too.

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

There was a set of Crown vic squad car wheels on craigslist here awhile ago. Did those clear the Mach 1 disks OK?
    I've got a set of the old style squad car wheels for my LTD but if these woud clear fine I might consider them.
    You said it rubbed on the inside rear, I have stock fox length axles 5 lug axles, what was it you have on yours?
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Lincoln MK VIIs if IRC. Stock width should help.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    Lincoln MK VIIs if IRC. Stock width should help.

Dean T
    Correct. I still have the steelies, but they're just sitting unused. I should try to sell em.

Quote Originally Posted by LTDScott View Post
    I meant to post last night... put coilovers and new rear springs on. The rear sits too low and rubs a lot, but it looks cool. Will probably have to go with the 05 Stang wheels again.
    What kind of springs do you have? I'm in the midst oof putting H+R race springs on mine. I contacted an H+R rep about how I didn't like the way the super sports made my LX sit low in the rear and they sent me some rear springs that were a little taller then standard.
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Quote Originally Posted by David Claflin View Post
    What kind of springs do you have? I'm in the midst oof putting H+R race springs on mine. I contacted an H+R rep about how I didn't like the way the super sports made my LX sit low in the rear and they sent me some rear springs that were a little taller then standard.
    How much did taller springs cost?
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

Quote Originally Posted by David Claflin View Post
    I bought the H&R Super Sport rear springs from Maximum Motorsports. Didn't like how low the car sat so I returned them and am now running the stock springs (lowered the car a little using the adjustable lower control arms). I'd be very interested in some taller springs. How do you like yours?

They're great, I get a lot of compliments on how it has a nice rake to it.

Hmm, not sure that'd be tall enough.

I put the H+R race in my LTD, they are taller then the super sports. I don't have the fronts in yet, hopefully can make that happen this week. Also, I rolled the fender and the 17x9 bullit with a 285/40-17 tire from the pic above fit in the wheelwell. I'd have to roll the fender lip a touch more to make sure there was no rubbing with a full load of fuel and passengers in the car.

Are you sure it wouldn't rub inside the inner fender? I'm having that problem with my car.

I'll have the wheels off the LX sometime around the 7th of December when I go to the track again, I'll throw them on there and get some pics.

I like 'em! Do you have any skinny trim rings to go with some small center caps?

BLUEMERC
    Learnin' to Love that BLUE OVAL!
    85 Marquis 310cid/450cfm Holley/Factory intake/HO Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner/ Factory Tube exhaust Manifolds/AOD/3.27 TractionLoc/16" wheels/HD suspension

FEP Senior Member quarterstang86's Avatar

I know this is putting an old thread back up to the top. But, I've been on the kick of trying to locate these steel wheels again. By all my reading it seems the Crown Vic wheels don't fit as well as the Dodge Magnums.

Do you still have these wheels?

I found the link below, which appears to be a credible place to buy online.

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/w_selec..._MAKE=&_MODEL=
    - Richard

Holy old thread, Batman. Nope, sold them a while back.

Which Crown Vic steelies are you looking at? '03+ Vic wheels have a much more positive offset which would work much better for me, but it depends on what suspension you have.

New User

Shop around on fleabay. I found the 17 X 7 Charger steelies for $35 ea, new take offs. Also found a pair of 18 X 7.5 Charger PI steel wheels for 70 ea. Had to pay 100 ea for the other pair. Shop around and be patient and you can find a really good deal. 17's go on the '81 Fairmont wagon and the 18's on the '70 1/2 Falcon wagon. Got aluminum 16's on the HHR wagon.

Darrell

FEP Senior Member quarterstang86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LTDScott View Post
    Holy old thread, Batman. Nope, sold them a while back.

Which Crown Vic steelies are you looking at? '03+ Vic wheels have a much more positive offset which would work much better for me, but it depends on what suspension you have.

Hey, I used the search function to find the thread because I remembered it. What's so wrong with it being an older post?

I don't think I really need a lot of positive offset as your LTD could use. I have Weld Prostars on the car now, 15 3.5 1 3/4 Backspacing front and 15x8 5.5 Backspacing rear with a 275/60/15. By the pictures of the Charger wheels they have a slight dish to them which I think would fit my car well. Before I sold it I at one time had Mustang Pony wheels and they fit fine. Everything is stock length up front and back, nothing special other than the 5 lug conv, no road race stuff no handling stuff. The car will eventually be straight line toy, I just happen to drive it daily and don't want the flash right now for some reason.

You did run a 245/45/17 Kumho correct?

Quote Originally Posted by super4ord View Post
    Shop around on fleabay. I found the 17 X 7 Charger steelies for $35 ea, new take offs. Also found a pair of 18 X 7.5 Charger PI steel wheels for 70 ea. Had to pay 100 ea for the other pair. Shop around and be patient and you can find a really good deal. 17's go on the '81 Fairmont wagon and the 18's on the '70 1/2 Falcon wagon. Got aluminum 16's on the HHR wagon.

Darrell
    I did some calling around yesterday and the dealerships wanted 98.00 for a new wheel. I'm not into that so much, seems the "freebie" finds are not in the works around my area. The link I provided has reconditioned wheels that I was told were in like new shape. Shipping doesn't seem bad at "free" but you have to buy 4 wheels. I will check Ebay, thought about going to Craigslist as well if needed.
    Last edited by quarterstang86; 02-03-2010 at 01:35 PM.
    - Richard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast