Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 02Z06 View Post
    Alrighty, I emailed him and got things cleared up. Roush235 was right, the discrepancy was the black cars:
    "Chris, Well, I found something interesting by doing a little more digging. All the Cobras were tu-toned as you suggested. The terminology used in some of the material I was looking at suggested they were thinking of doing the tu-tone delete. Instead, what the difference represents is what is known as the Cobra Alternate. This is the black Cobra with the green exterior accents. So now you know there were 938 of these produced.

Incidentally, I should have all the original invoices for these cars. I bought the entire collection of invoices that Lois Eminger had and I believe it included the 79-81 Mustangs. Time will tell. They are all warehoused on pallets until I can get more space to access them."
    That makes me feel much better! So I guess it's all set with a production number of 17,579 for ALL Cobras in 1979. I'm betting that the '80 has less and that 1981 has the least of all.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Da**, my brother was stupid for getting rid of his '79 Black and Green Cobra if that 938 figure is correct.

Just for the heck of it I emailed Kevin and asked him if he knew how many Cobras came with the turbo 4 since mine only showed production numbers for the whole year on that motor. I'm kind of curious on that.

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    He said "Cobra Alternate". I posted that above. That order is a "special cobra". Black in and out with green stripes. So I think that 938 would not include the black cobras with the "Normal" Cobra package...which had red stripes.

Hey, while you have him looking up stuff...ask him if there were any 79 Cobras in NOTCHBACK.

-Mike
    I asked him, no Notchback cobras... It was a longshot.
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

I asked him, no Notchback cobras... It was a longshot.
    Remember to ask that for the 80 and 81s.

There was a notchback Conra we saw on here. Not sure if it was real or not. It had green striping if I remember.

-Mike

my 79 cobra was single-toned gloss black. atleast thats how it looked when i got it. it was in rough shape, but im almost 100% sure it was solid gloss black
    Last edited by negusm; 12-29-2007 at 04:33 PM.
    79 cobra- rockin the efi 2.3T again.

2007 lifted F-350 Lariat Outlaw 4x4
    83 Porsche 944
    01 GSXR 1000

Sold: 96 f-350, 69 baja bug, 86 XJS v12, jeep j-3000, wagoneer, 95 f-250, 89 LX 5.0 and a few others

Quote Originally Posted by 7t9cobra View Post
    my 79 cobra was single-toned gloss black. atleast thats how it looked when i got it. it was in rough shape, but im almost 100% sure it was solid gloss black

What color striping did it have?

Well I'll throw mine in the mix as well its a 79 tu-toned black with the orange side stickers and no hood snake.-John
    79 Cobra 2.3T t-3 Power 7.84/87.46
    84 LX 351W 5-speed
    88 TC

Quote Originally Posted by onedoobie View Post
    Well I'll throw mine in the mix as well its a 79 tu-toned black with the orange side stickers and no hood snake.-John
    I'm thinking the orange stickered black cars got the tu-tone. Those are the normal Cobras.

The green stripped/stickered black cars were not tu-toned and are all the special alternate packaged Cobras.

We just need to keep an eye out for those green striped Cobras.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    I'm thinking the orange stickered black cars got the tu-tone. Those are the normal Cobras.

The green stripped/stickered black cars were not tu-toned and are all the special alternate packaged Cobras.

We just need to keep an eye out for those green striped Cobras.

-Mike
    Were these colors carried out into 80 and 81 also? I think I know where a black 80 or 81 cobra is sitting but I don't know if it has the green graphics.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

All Cobra's came with 1C Black on the bottom.

If the Cobra is 1C Black on top then it will be 1C on bottom like Dale Hart's

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

But do the 1C '79 Cobras have "TT" (Tu-Tone Paint Treatment) on the Body/Buck Tag, and "1C 1C" (Black exterior paint color w/ Black Tu-Tone Paint Treatment) on the VC Label?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    But do the 1C '79 Cobras have "TT" (Tu-Tone Paint Treatment) on the Body/Buck Tag, and "1C 1C" (Black exterior paint color w/ Black Tu-Tone Paint Treatment) on the VC Label?
    The buildsheet is not too good, but here are pics from mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

There it is....1C Black exterior paint with the TT (Tu-Tone Paint Treatment) code as well. Is that from a '79 Cobra?

It seems to be a well-optioned Cobra...moonroof, rear wiper, air conditioning, rear defrost. No power locks or windows though.

Quote Originally Posted by onedoobie View Post

Welcome fellow cobra owner! Have you registered here?
    http://www.earlycobra.com/
    83 Mercury Capri RS, 91 Mustang Gt 'vert, 04 CO Mach 1

Quote Originally Posted by Sellis1012 View Post
    Welcome fellow cobra owner! Have you registered here?
    http://www.earlycobra.com/
    How often does this site get updated? I just finally sent my info on my car.

Quote Originally Posted by tman1257 View Post
    There is a banner on the site that says it was last updated end of October. I have some collectible pictures I need to send him.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    There it is....1C Black exterior paint with the TT (Tu-Tone Paint Treatment) code as well. Is that from a '79 Cobra?

It seems to be a well-optioned Cobra...moonroof, rear wiper, air conditioning, rear defrost. No power locks or windows though.
    I kick myself every time I see a nice Cobra because I had to sell this one earlier this year. It was in very original condition that had sat for about 8 years before I bought it. Minor rust in front floors and LH quarter, otherwise very solid and complete. Here are a couple pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by cobrstang View Post
    I kick myself every time I see a nice Cobra because I had to sell this one earlier this year. It was in very original condition that had sat for about 8 years before I bought it. Minor rust in front floors and LH quarter, otherwise very solid and complete. Here are a couple pics.
    Sorry you had to sell it. How much did it go for? Did you list it here?

Quote Originally Posted by tman1257 View Post
    Yeah guys, it's been a while since the last update. I've got about 10 more cars to register, about half have pictures. I've just been swamped with the holidays and a few cars that I'm selling/buying. So if you've sent in info and don't see it on the site yet dont fret, it will be up there asap!
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

Chris, if you want help with your 'site, let me know.

Yeah guys, it's been a while since the last update. I've got about 10 more cars to register, about half have pictures. I've just been swamped with the holidays and a few cars that I'm selling/buying. So if you've sent in info and don't see it on the site yet dont fret, it will be up there asap!
    I sent 2 emails to you, one with the info and one more with a couple of pictures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12