Close

Default '85 GT to TownCar master cylinder swap issues

I'm putting '94 GT brakes on my '85 GT, and I have purchased what is supposed to be a '85 TownCar master cylinder. This is supposed to be a solution to the low pedal from using the stock GT master with larger calipers.

Two issues:

First, the tube nut sizes on the fluid fittings are reversed, larger one in front on the car, larger on in the rear on the new master. Can I just re-flare the existing hard lines to swap the fitting sizes and be done with it, or do I have to re-bend the hard lines so that the correct sizes line up with the ports in the master?

Second, I was under the impression that the TownCar master cylinder was aluminum, but at the local parts stores, all of the ones available were cast iron, with no options shown for aluminum.

Anyone have any experience here that will help a guy out???

Quote Originally Posted by jc306na View Post
    I'm putting '94 GT brakes on my '85 GT, and I have purchased what is supposed to be a '85 TownCar master cylinder. This is supposed to be a solution to the low pedal from using the stock GT master with larger calipers.

Two issues:

First, the tube nut sizes on the fluid fittings are reversed, larger one in front on the car, larger on in the rear on the new master. Can I just re-flare the existing hard lines to swap the fitting sizes and be done with it, or do I have to re-bend the hard lines so that the correct sizes line up with the ports in the master?

Second, I was under the impression that the TownCar master cylinder was aluminum, but at the local parts stores, all of the ones available were cast iron, with no options shown for aluminum.

Anyone have any experience here that will help a guy out???
    I only know of the SVO one being Al. The Town car... didn't know it was suppost to be Al.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

fordguy used the svo master when he did his, he used adapter fittings instead of reflaring, it worked fine. I'll be using the same thing when I do my rear disc soon.

My 85 TC MC is Al. Rear fitting (front brakes) requires adapting.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Mine was aluminum also, and I had to use adapters.
    1986 LX conv. w/ '85 GT 5.0L, 600cfm Holley, MSD, K&N, ceramic shorties, 2.5" O/R h-pipe, Superturbos, MM sub-frames, 3-core radiator, 3g Alt., Mark IIIV fan
    best 1/8 mile 9.56 @ 71.63mph - 2.1 60ft
    Former 3.8L V-6 - best 1/8 mile 11.22

mine is aluminum also, i cut the front brake line and re-flared it with the right fitting, i think i had to bend both of them slightly though so they would line up..adapters work but i think they look ugly. The right size fitting is 1/4" with a 5/16" line is i remember right, you can find em anywhere
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

Mine's cast iron and I used an adapter for the rear port. Works fine. Don't forget to adjust the booster pushrod length. Mine had to be lengthened quite a bit to work correctly.

As I mentioned in another thread, I had a local shop that does all kinds of HP/LP lines just fab me an exact copy of the stock line, but with the proper fitting for the Towncar MC. All DOT approved. Cost me like 10 bucks. Diesel Parts is the name of the shop. They also did my rear axle brake line with proper fittings in braided stainless. Definitely the "easy button."
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

New User

Mine was aluminum, got it at advance auto. Only had to change one fitting, just cut and re-flared line.
    83gt, t-top, polar white, 302 w/ X Cam, TFS Track Heat Heads, TFS 1.6 RR's, Mac Longtubes, Mac ProChamber, Mac ProDumps, Edelbrock 600 carb (looking for Holley 650 DP), MSD "ready to run" pro billet dist. and coil, 8.8 w/3.73 gears and 99 SVT wheels waiting for install as soon as I get a 5 lug swap complete.

03gt, Shadow grey, stock for now (wife's car)
    83 Jeep cj-7, 4 inch lift, lime green

I just got done swapping this master cylinder onto my car. I previously installed 73mm calipers and the pedal was ridiculously soft. This definitely made a big improvement in pedal height and feel. Brakes feel much safer.

FYI... I believe the rear port (front brakes) on the Towncar master cylinder that needs an adapter is a 7/16-24 thread.

I just bought an adapter line from NAPA that was 7/16-24 on one end and 3/8-24 on the other and hand bent the line. Then, I replaced the stock brake line from the master cylinder to the prop. valve with that line.
    '85 ASC McLaren coupe
    EFI conversion
    Twisted Wedge heads, etc...
    13.2@105