Close

Default I think I need this.

http://www.dov2.com/inventory/Suntru...y/?view=105044
    My wife works with a friend of the dealer so he dropped it off at her work so we can drive it for the day and bring it back sometime tomorrow.
    My dad has an 04 4x4 and has had no problems so far. Does anyone know of anything I should be aware of or something specific to look out for?
    It does have a 5.4 auto with 3.73's and a LS.
    86 GT

My brother has an 06 F1 and has had no problems at all. Pretty good pickup for what he needs.

Just sold my '06 Supercab.

I can't think of anything in terms of mechanical faults. I had several gripes with mine (& hence it's gone now.) E.g:

Can't see out the rear windows though the "privacy tint" at night. I was giving serious thought to installing some megawatt aux reverse lamps, but sold it first.

Seat is uncomfortable, at least for me, despite all the adjustability built in. Mine had the multi-way power seat as does the one you're looking at, with power lumbar, but in spite of all that I could never get comfortable. I felt that the seat was too short under my legs, and my legs were kind of hanging there. I'm 6' tall.

The upholstery stains way too easily. I mean almost magically. Distilled water dripped on the seats will leave very visible spots.

Miserable "traction control" meant it was surprisingly easy to get the thing stuck in moderately deep snow. Probably not an issue for you in St. Louis.

Radio sounds like ass.

Dents if you lean on it. I'm *just barely* exaggerating.

Mine had the 5.4L "Triton" with 3.73s and it felt like you were wringing its neck if you stood on it.

14 mpg on long trips.

Mine ran perfectly for the year I owned it. I'd say it drove perfectly, except for the traction control and the fact that it pushed like an oil tanker. Sounds like I'm really ragging on it, I know. In fact, it was a very civilised ride. I just didn't like mine. I realise they're very popular. I'd say if you don't hate it after the first hour in the seat (as I did) then maybe it's for you!

OH YEAH.... rack & pinion = extremely large turning circle. Parking lots were no fun at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cleger View Post

I can't think of anything in terms of mechanical faults. I had several gripes with mine (& hence it's gone now.) E.g:

Can't see out the rear windows though the "privacy tint" at night. I was giving serious thought to installing some megawatt aux reverse lamps, but sold it first.

Seat is uncomfortable, at least for me, despite all the adjustability built in. Mine had the multi-way power seat as does the one you're looking at, with power lumbar, but in spite of all that I could never get comfortable. I felt that the seat was too short under my legs, and my legs were kind of hanging there. I'm 6' tall.

The upholstery stains way too easily. I mean almost magically. Distilled water dripped on the seats will leave very visible spots.
    Miserable "traction control" meant it was surprisingly easy to get the thing stuck in moderately deep snow. Probably not an issue for you in St. Louis.

Radio sounds like ass.

Mine had the 5.4L "Triton" with 3.73s and it felt like you were wringing its neck if you stood on it.

14 mpg on long trips.

Mine ran perfectly for the year I owned it. I'd say it drove perfectly, except for the traction control and the fact that it pushed like an oil tanker. Sounds like I'm really ragging on it, I know. In fact, it was a very civilised ride. I just didn't like mine. I realise they're very popular. I'd say if you don't hate it after the first hour in the seat (as I did) then maybe it's for you!

OH YEAH.... rack & pinion = extremely large turning circle. Parking lots were no fun at all.
    I know what you mean about the upholstery. My 05 ranger is the same way.
    As far as dents go you are right. Cars are like soda cans anymore. Shortly after I got my 05 ranger I sat on the box rail and it wrinkled. Now that is WEAK considering I weigh 130lbs (after thankgiving dinner). I guess I will have to drive it for the day. I rode in my dads a few times and seemed to like it.
    86 GT

Yeah, I would say drive it as much as you can before deciding.

Look at it this way - I bought one. I looked at all the features, and got one equipped they way I wanted. They ride beautifully, are very roomy, etc.

The things I'm bitching about didn't become apparent right away, but after a while, they wore on me.

I was ready to set the damned thing on fire the day I got it stuck IN MY DRIVEWAY in a foot of snow. Trying to rock it out, and the damned traction control kept kicking in. Everyone who lives where it snows plenty will know what I'm talking about...

You stick the car/truck in drive, roll it forward slightly, and as it starts to rock back, you stick it in reverse and apply gas... you work up a rhythm and keep repeating until you're loose. In the case of the F150, you'd stick it in gear, step on the gas, and the "traction control" would apply the brakes to cut down on "dangerous wheelspin."

@#$%&%!!!

My kids thought I was going to have a stroke. Had to pull it out with the Jeep, which was a snap, naturally.

Can't you turn off the trac control? The snow in STL is minimal but we do get some. I think with the trac-lok it should do good enough. Hell, I've been driving a short box reg cab 4x2 ranger for the last 2 years with no problem. I can't imagine the f150 being worse than this thing.
    86 GT

I have a 06 Crew fx4 and have had no problems whatsoever. The upholstery does suck, and I'm looking into oem leather take-offs on ebay. I've driven through tons of mud and snow on consruction sites without a hint of getting stuck. My radio sounds great, but I do have the "audiophile" setup. I see 14-18 mpg and I beat on it everyday. Cruises nicely at highway speeds (and above). The crew cab fits a car seat nicely and the truck tows pretty good too.
    Last edited by eric5oh; 12-11-2007 at 06:59 PM.

There was no defeat switch for the traction control in the '06 F150, unlike Crown Vics I've owned, for example, or the Infiniti G35.

I'm not saying it was the worst vehicle I've ever owned/driven in the snow, just that it sucked compared to all the other 4wds I've owned. I've owned 3 F-series before this one, as well as 3 Jeeps. The Jeeps are hands-down better than the pick-ups, but among the pick-ups, the '06 F-150 was a very distant, dead last due to the traction control.

I mean, you're sitting there, seemingly mildly stuck, and floor it while watching the tach... engine just sort of bogs for a couple of seconds, then the brakes let go and the thing spins its tires.

I've lived in New England all my life, and I live in a particularly mountainous & snowy part. When I was a kid, my friends and I would enthusiastically head out to drive in the snow and practice j-turns & such. I have many, many hours of experience. The '06 F-150 would be far from my first choice for a snow vehicle.

I will grant that it tracked up the hill I live on better than my Fairmont with with Traction TAs! But then, I would expect that. What I didn't expect was to be stuck in a foot of snow in my own driveway in a $35K vehicle that has a "4X4" sticker on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by purple pony View Post
    The snow in STL is minimal but we do get some. I think with the trac-lok it should do good enough. Hell, I've been driving a short box reg cab 4x2 ranger for the last 2 years with no problem. I can't imagine the f150 being worse than this thing.
    I think you're right. I'm judging the F-150 in the context I used it in, and we get plenty of snow here. In fact, it's snowing right now. But I would imagine it would be just fine where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by eric5oh View Post
    I have a 06 Crew fx4 and have had no problems whatsoever. The upholstery does suck, and I'm looking into oem leather take-offs on ebay. I've driven through tons of mud and snow on consruction sites without a hint of getting stuck. My radio sounds great, but I do have the "audiophile" setup. I see 14-18 mpg and I beat on it everyday. Cruises nicely at highway speeds (and above). The crew cab fits a car seat nicely and the truck tows pretty good too.
    I must have got a lemon. I had to drive like I had an egg under my foot to see 14 mpg. Worst tank I ran was 11 mpg.

Christ, I am really $h!!tting all over this truck. I really don't mean to. It was a very nice truck. Just not for me. I just wanted to give my perspective. Anyway,

I HAVE TAKEN OVER THIS THREAD.

All your thread are belong to us.

Christ, I am really $h!!tting all over this truck. I really don't mean to. It was a very nice truck. Just not for me. I just wanted to give my perspective. Anyway,

All your thread are belong to us.
    No problem man. I am interrested in the bad just as much as the good. If you got stuck in your own driveway it's no wonder you feel the way you do. I'm going to pick it up in a couple hours and take it for a drive. I'll let you know what I think.
    86 GT

Good:

Loved the 4 power windows. Made the truck very airy in summer.

Climate control worked perfectly.

2 adults and 3 kids rode in relative comfort.

Chrome bumpers were quite heavy and withstood a couple of minor bouts of bashing into things without a scratch.

Standard-equip bed rail and tailgate plastic covers kept everything looking quite new.

Good-looking truck. All my friends admired it.

Paint & overall fit & finish were very, very good for a pick-up truck.

Pulled my little Baja with absolute ease, and the boat, as well as the back of the truck, were full of 2 weeks'-worth of vacation stuff, plus there were 5 of us in the truck.

OH YEAH... trailered my Fairmont back to NH from Goderich, Ontario, like a real champ. Couldn't have done THAT in the Jeep.

Radio sounds like ass.

14 mpg on long trips.

My brother inlaw has a new 5.4 150 and my sister has a new expedition with a 5.4 and they both complane about the MPG. The other thing is that when he drove my 5.3 GMC he could not believe the power,he said it makes his truck feel like its pulling a trailer LOL.
    My GMC gets 21 MPG on the highway and I think he said that his gets like 16 but he is a 4wd and mine is a 2wd.
    Thats something to consider in todays times at $3 a gallon.
    A bunch of 85gt's

Good thing you cleared your post with me first, jleews6, because

This is my thread.

Mine.

Fear me.

My brother has an 07 f150 w/ 5.4. it surprisingly feels like a dog until you get up to about 4k rpm, then it starts to pull.
    79 302 cobra project

Well, after a closer inspection this truck will be going back to the dealer. There are just too many signs of being ridden hard and put away wet. Somehow they managed to put a huge scrape in the plactic lower bumper and it kinda popped it out on the oppsite side.. They had to be haulin ass or hit something big since the bumper is about a foot off the ground. There are 7 small dents between the front and rear window on the pass side. The upholstery is kinda stained and to top it all off it smells like a wet dog from the carpet shampoo...I hate it when they do that. I guess I'm still on the hunt.
    86 GT

Bad news.This truck was crashed on the way back to the dealer(not my fault).
    86 GT

Quote Originally Posted by purple pony View Post
    Bad news.This truck was crashed on the way back to the dealer(not my fault).
    Good news iffin' you hadn't bought it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 85vert View Post
    Good news iffin' you hadn't bought it yet.
    Nope. I was on my to tell them I didn't want it.
    86 GT

I like my 02 GMC 2500 HD w/o the duramx. Pulling my car I get 15 mpg and I get that w/ city driving. The thing
    rides like a cadillac and I can still put 2500 pounds in the bed of it. This is coming from someone that had an 89 F150, 93 F250 w/ over loads, the thing w/ both of those was that I blew both of them up, but we had fun doing it though!!
    1986 GT
    347 n/a 11:1 comp
    AOD Lentech
    4.56 gears
    11.27@119.1