Close

FEP Member

Default Carb/Intake Combo

Let me start by saying my car is totally stock as we speak but I am looking to upgrade. It's not going to be daily driven, because I work too far away but I'd like to be able to drive it often. I am going to put heads and cam on at a later date, but for now, I'm just going to go with a full exhaust with shorty headers. I have pulleys as well and I'm going to use a smog pump eliminator if it makes a difference. I'm looking for the most power for the money but willing to spend some to get the power. I thinking of just a nicely rebuilt Holley 600 electric choke, but what would be the best intake to run with this setup? I was thinking of a Vic, Jr. but I really don't know much about any of them. Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by stock85 View Post
    Let me start by saying my car is totally stock as we speak but I am looking to upgrade. It's not going to be daily driven, because I work too far away but I'd like to be able to drive it often. I am going to put heads and cam on at a later date, but for now, I'm just going to go with a full exhaust with shorty headers. I have pulleys as well and I'm going to use a smog pump eliminator if it makes a difference. I'm looking for the most power for the money but willing to spend some to get the power. I thinking of just a nicely rebuilt Holley 600 electric choke, but what would be the best intake to run with this setup? I was thinking of a Vic, Jr. but I really don't know much about any of them. Please help.
    If your going to upgrade the heads and cam at a later date. Go for the Edelbrock rpm or a Weiand Stealth. A 600 Holley would work good for now.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

the victor is to big, get the performer rpm, or performer rpm air gap
    79 Coupe
    5.0 swap complete, T5 swap complete, 8.8 swap complete. 13.9s @98

And you might check out the Avenger carbs instead of a plain generic holley 600. I run the smaller 570 cfm Holley Street Avenger (same size as stock on the 83-85 cars) and put down very healthy power with a lot of other engine modifications. Easy to work on and adjust. I also have the edel rpm intake and am very happy with it. Just stay with a good dual plane intake like the stealth, edelbrock, etc. Just stay conservative on the carb. Guys are making almost 700 horses on a 460 with a 600 carb, so resist the 'bigger is better' urge unless you really need it.
    The air pump eliminator will not free up a lot of power, a little, and clean up the area while removing a few pounds, but if you have emissions concerns...
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Losing the smog pump will make a small different but instead of buying the smog pump eliminator you can just take it off and short belt it. At least that’s what I did and it will save some of that stuff what’s it called o yeah money.

I ran a holley street avenger and a weiand action plus with a 1 inch open spacer on a stock 87 longblock and it ran great, I would use the street avenger carb again.

Just get a shorter serpentine belt to eliminate the smog pump Instead of buying the eliminator kit. The victor Jr. intake is way overkill on a mild motor. There are many street cars out there that would run alot better with a Air gap intake or the regular RPM manifold installed on them then the Victor Jr. intake.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 306gt View Post
    If your going to upgrade the heads and cam at a later date. Go for the Edelbrock rpm or a Weiand Stealth. A 600 Holley would work good for now.
    Run the Stealth and Holley 80457 carb on my 82 with a 85 roller in it. Working great for almost 10 years. With untouched GT40 irons went from a buk80 to 245 to the wheels. Nuttin to brag about but gotta love 65 more rwhp with just heads and intake.
    1986GT C9 351W. T-3550
    Inner & Outer subs
    Griggs GR40 Suspension
    Panhard bar & Torque arm. Tub Kmember and A-arms.

1982GT w/rear wiper

http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/82...d/MVC-558S.JPG
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/MVC-001F.JPG

FEP Member

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for the responses, I really appreciate it. Like I said I really don't know much about the carb'd life so any advice is great. Looks like I'm going to look into the Avenger Carb and the Stealth or RPM.

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

Putting a victor Jr on an otherwise stock motor will give you like a 500rpm powerband, it would be a total dog. I guess thats already been said so I dont really have too much usefull to add but if it were my car and I planned no changes to the stock motor other than the pulleys, I would go with a regular old performer or action plus. If you plan to upgrade heads and cam in the future, get the Performer RPM, RPM air gap or stealth. I think with stock heads and cam, the RPM will give up a scoch of bottom end in return for the ability to support more power at upper RPMs that you wouldn't be using.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400