Close

Default Bellhousing question...

Is the bellhousing bolt pattern on a 200 six banger the same as a 5.0 V8 ?

FEP Power Member

no, not even close
    down to two eyes

seller of the FIRST 4-eye in Modified Mustangs Magazine!

The later BB 200 bell pattern is 2/3 of a 5.0 one.

You can ID the BB 200 block by the location of the starter (low on the pass side). Normally they are high on the pass side.

You can attach a 5.0 bell to a BB block with minor mods.

http://fordsix.com/tech/engine/bigbell.php
    Last edited by Chuck W; 11-20-2007 at 02:58 PM.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post

You can ID the BB 200 block by the location of the starter (low on the pass side). Normally they are high on the driver side.

The motor is a 1979 in a Zephyr, was trying to see what it would take to put a T-5 in it from a 5.0 mustang. Need the overdrive and will eventually drop a 5.0 in it so I wanted to start from the tranny end first to make the car more highway friendly with the six banger.

Are there any other bellhousing options that will work with the T-5 mustang tranny?

FEP Power Member

oh boy, the thick plottens...just go and buy an 87-93 donor 5.0, and use EVERYTHING!!! You will need the K Member, spindles, brakes, rear end....As for the bell housing, it is possible to modify the 5.0 housing to fit, but then it would be ruined for a 5.0...
    down to two eyes

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post

You can ID the BB 200 block by the location of the starter (low on the pass side). Normally they are high on the driver side.

yeah, but that was 1980....
    down to two eyes

Quote Originally Posted by twister View Post
    oh boy, the thick plottens...just go and buy an 87-93 donor 5.0, and use EVERYTHING!!! You will need the K Member, spindles, brakes, rear end....As for the bell housing, it is possible to modify the 5.0 housing to fit, but then it would be ruined for a 5.0...
    Yeah, that's the thing to do if I had the cash to do that.

How about you buy it for me and ship it to my house.

Want to put the 5 speed behind the six to begin with so I can drive it a while that way.

FEP Power Member

a parts car will cost a lot less than buying everything separate....look at it this way, you can get a driving beater for $1000-1500 or a T5 for $500...
    down to two eyes

Twister has a point in terms of money spent but if you already have a T-5, you could hunt for the elusive E1ZR-6394-AA T-4 (non-overdrive 4 speed) bellhousing which has the same bolt pattern for the T-5. Finding it will be tough since it was only available for '81 Mustangs (with the earlier high mount starters like your '79 Zephyr's - unless someone swapped the Zephyr's engine out for a later low mount starter). I used carparts.com and found one for $50. So, for a little more cash for the pedals, clutch cable, fork, block plate, and trans crossmember mods you could do it for less than $500 IF you already have a V8 T-5.

Oh, Chuck W meant to say the later 200's had the low mounted starters on the passenger side of the block - it's all on the right side of the engine bay...

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post

Oh, Chuck W meant to say the later 200's had the low mounted starters on the passenger side of the block - it's all on the right side of the engine bay...

Dean T
    Fixed....
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    Twister has a point in terms of money spent but if you already have a T-5, you could hunt for the elusive E1ZR-6394-AA T-4 (non-overdrive 4 speed) bellhousing which has the same bolt pattern for the T-5. Finding it will be tough since it was only available for '81 Mustangs (with the earlier high mount starters like your '79 Zephyr's - unless someone swapped the Zephyr's engine out for a later low mount starter). I used carparts.com and found one for $50. So, for a little more cash for the pedals, clutch cable, fork, block plate, and trans crossmember mods you could do it for less than $500 IF you already have a V8 T-5.

Dean T
    Yes, I understand the economy of buying a parts car with all the needed parts already there. Around here it is extremely hard to find a "parts" car that is reasonably priced. Secondly, I am on a extremely tight budget so getting the money together to buy a parts car is next to impossible so buying a little at a time is what I am forced to do.

I have a tranny and pedals and crossmember located for $250, lots of the other parts I can get at work(NAPA) fairly cheap.

Thanks for the info on the T4 bellhousing, will check around and see what I can come up with.

A trans, pedals and crossmember at 250 is good. Make sure the pedals are the type that use the crappy plastic quadrant. You'ld be ahead of the game to then convert to an aftermarket firewall adjuster and quadrant. I think the '81 and earlier Mustangs has the adjustible cable which means you have to adjust the cable at the clutch fork end.

Another gotcha is the clutch fork - here, it could be one for the earlier D9 I6 bellhousing with the overdrive 4 speed too but I'm not sure if anyone sells a replacement.

Then you need a '79 Fairmont 200 I6 flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearing.

And a block plate.

I'm hoping you can get most of that at NAPA because some of them I'll need to get to for my '65 Mustang (with a post-'66 200 I6) project.

Good luck!

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura