Close

Default Strange 10-way struts in 81

I've read there may be issues with fit of the 10-way in the early foxes? Considering a set, but want to be sure before they arrive.

I put them on my 81 along with 87+ V-8 spindels and had no issues.

You will need to install 87+ spindles to run them...perfect time for a brake upgrade

not quite ready to do the brake deal, but need the struts. Its more strip and street, perhaps just go with some 90/10s

Maximum Motorsports shows the later strut mounts as being 0.230" thicker. So you could mill 0.115" of both sides and make them work. Someone here might have tried it, there's been some threads mentioning it.

i remember buying a set of struts and i thought they came with shims to make up the difference in the spindles... not sure if that would work on the Strange struts ... i am wanting to put a set on my 84lx ...

the Lakewood struts come with shims to work with either spindle. I'm running the 90/10 on my car and they work well
    86 GT bracket car, 10.83 @ 123, 347 carb, c-4
    My dyno is 1320 ft long Romans 12:2

Shims is the answer. It wouldn't be hard to make some.

i had Lakewoods on my GT ...they must have come with them ... i would think you could fab up what you need out of stock steel or even washers... when i get mine i'll see whats up...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
    I've read there may be issues with fit of the 10-way in the early foxes? Considering a set, but want to be sure before they arrive.
    It can be done without changing to the later spindles, but you will need to modify your spindles a bit. I put a set of Strange 10 ways on my '85 a couple years ago and here's what I recall about it.

Shims are not the answer. In this case the spindle mounting area is too thick and needs ground down a bit for the Strange 10 ways to fit over it. I used an angle grinder to do this. The two bolt holes are also just a tad off and will require some elongation. I used a 14.4 volt cordless drill to do this. You don't want a powerful corded drill because the bit tends to bind when reaming the holes and with a drill that won't stall it will violently twist your wrist when that happens. You can probably guess how I know this! You could probably use a die grinder to open up the holes which might be safer.

Where the shims come into play I believe is with the Lakewoods, which are made to fit the thicker early spindles and need shims to fit the thinner later spindles. The Strange ones are made to fit the thinner spindles and will not go over the thicker spindles.

Hope this helps!
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.