Close

Default motor mount fitment

ok i know we discussed this a few times and I finally got my turn to try it for myself.

I am putting a 90 model 5.0 in my 79 model Kmemeber. I know there were some ppl said they had no problems, and some said they did. I am one of those that do have a problem. Seems the convertible 87-93 motor mounts are a differant match from my K memeber. So what have I got to do?
    I have came up with either drill 2 holes in the K member to match the dowels on my motor mounts or else find some 79 model mounts. But I am thinking that the 79 mount bolts to the k member and a bracket that mounts to the engine block. Is this the case? If so then I need the mount and the bracket that bolts to the block?
    Please guys help me out asap on this, I need to put this engine in this weekend.
    79 Coupe
    5.0 swap complete, T5 swap complete, 8.8 swap complete. 13.9s @98

Oh forgot to ask.
    If I do drill the K member to fit my current motor mounts. I need to make sure I drill in the exact precise spot.
    Does the mount set level or at a certain angle?
    Does the mount stud set all the way down in the slot for the stud or is it up a little bit once the dowls are in place?
    79 Coupe

Default motor mounts

hello there, I had a buddy with this problem a few years ago and he ground the locating tabs off of the back of the convertible mounts and put it in, with a stroker windsor he has not had a problem yet !!!!!!!!!! Keith

yeah, that was my solution too. sometimes them dowels make the engine sit wierd too. get rid of the dowel and drop 'er in. You can cheat it around the slots then until the engine sits straight. Fun stuff!
    Good luck, Kerry

ok, so im thinking grind the dowels off like you guys said, set the engine in, but dont tighten the motor mounts down until I have the transmission fully bolted in. and tightened down to its crossmember. That should help to align it for the most part.
    79 Coupe

pm sent
    78 Bronco 400 *RIP*
    85 Capri 2.3 5spd
    99 Sable 3.0 wifes ride
    95 Volkswagon GolfIII
    and of course my baby,
    86 CAPRI 92 302 /SROD

FEP Super Member

You can install the engine and trans as a package .
    Sure makes your time under the car, a little less .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right