Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LSC Mark VIII elec fan, anyone running one?

Like the title says, I can get this for cheap, looking for opinions.
    If you do have one how are you mounting it?
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

FEP Member

I have one. It's installed using the ancient art of zip ties!!
    85 GT T-Top, GT40P Explorer longblock, Holley 600cfm carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap, TFS Stage 1 cam, Ford racing gt40p shorty headers.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 85tjstang View Post
    I have one. It's installed using the ancient art of zip ties!!
    Nice.
    1988 lx vert
    Rebuilt enigne with gt 40 head's and intake's.

ffrp aluminum radiator, mm subs, pro3i adj lower arm's, frrp 373, flowmaster catback, Magnaflow catd X,75 pro m menter. and more stuff.

Soon to come new black top. (this summer)

Oh, I too wish to learn this ancient art. Who was your master? Pu Ling Yu?

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Many people run this fan. It pulls more air than any other fan that I have heard of. There is lots of information on this site and others for installing it if you do a little searching.

I'm personally running the same fan in two of my cars......but they're both Mark VIII's...lol.

I trimmed the edge of mine (depth) and rivited mounting tabs like the stock schroud. A 3g alternator is a must as they draw many amps. I'm running a DCcontroller too.
    79 Notch, 5.0 EFI, AOD, 3G, complete 90 GT running gear, Full length sub frames, Dynomax cat back, Mark VIII & DC controller.

I have mine mounted with a cheap kit that goes thru the radiator. After I trimmed it down to depth to clear the waterpump pulley. I wrapped a piece of hatch seal around the edge, Looks great and it covers my butchery on the cut.
    The only thing worse than a bunch of constuction workers who cant whistle is a bunch of consrtuction workers who cant whistle trying to whistle together.

I have one that I plan on tossing in the LTD LX. I have a 3.8L Ford Taurus fan in the Mustang with a DC control unit too.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Cool, thanks, sounds like a winner.
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

Quote Originally Posted by slow84lx View Post
    ....I'm personally running the same fan in two of my cars......but they're both Mark VIII's...lol.
    Same here. and have replaced the motor on one of them already. Make a note of the part number and rotation direction before you put it in. It'll make life easier when the time comes to replace that one.

does any one have pics?

I have a lincoln mrk VIII fan as well.
    trimmed to fit but not in stalled yet.
    not sure how to make it permanent
    mustang gt registry
    http://www.mustanggt.org/forums/inde...eferrerid=3400

F irst
    O n
    R ace
    D ay

funny enough, they pull so much air, all the hemi ram guys are installing them into their trucks too. I've got one that's gonna go into my hemi ram, or the mustang, lol I haven't decided yet. Guess I need to pick one up for both vehicles.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Quote Originally Posted by doodaa View Post
    Same here. and have replaced the motor on one of them already. Make a note of the part number and rotation direction before you put it in. It'll make life easier when the time comes to replace that one.

already done one....no problems :-)

Do you post under the same name on the lincoln boards? Seems familiar.

I used one from a 87 turbo coupethey have dual electric fans

Quote Originally Posted by mercaprirs View Post
    I used one from a 87 turbo coupethey have dual electric fans
    Those are known for having problems.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Right now it looks like only folks who belong to the corral, stangnet and one other forum can order the dc controllers. I get a web page that says that and that's as far as I can get.

No dc controller for me, I guess.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

I havent had any problems with mine it's been on my car for a little under two years. What happens to the turbo coupe fans? So I know what to look for.

Just be sure not to use a weak relay or cheap fuse holder with it. They wont last long. Great fan though.

Found this old pic of some 30 amp fuses/holders that came with a cheap controller from Jegs, cant remember the name off hand. The radiator probe worked ok I guess since it was adjustable, but the amp draw from that fan was way too much for the fuses and 30/40 relays over time. Ended up using a bosch 75 amp relay.

Last edited by JungleJetDriver; 10-31-2007 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Pic

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    Right now it looks like only folks who belong to the corral, stangnet and one other forum can order the dc controllers. I get a web page that says that and that's as far as I can get.

No dc controller for me, I guess.

Dean T
    Signup on either of the two forums that you mention is free and easy.....unless you have been banned? or just dislike them.

Dean sign up on the corral and you'll be fine. I need to order two, one for the stang and one for my suburban. Now my question is which color line does which speed and which is ground? I guess i could research it out or just test it with a car battery or battery charger.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by 83TEE View Post
    does any one have pics?

I have a lincoln mrk VIII fan as well.
    trimmed to fit but not in stalled yet.
    not sure how to make it permanent
    Here are some pics of my installation, I did not have to trim it, only turn it upside down, attached it with zip ties, wired it using the stock Mark VIII power distribution box, running the 50 amp fuse and 30 amp relay, for the moment I turn it on and off manually, I'll replace that with a controller box as soon as I start working again, what do you guys thinks is better the SPAL or DC controller box?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by 85tjstang; 10-31-2007 at 12:43 PM.
    85 GT T-Top, GT40P Explorer longblock, Holley 600cfm carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap, TFS Stage 1 cam, Ford racing gt40p shorty headers.

From what I read on the corral the DCC fan controller is behind on being produced and there is about a 60 day+ wait from the time it is ordered.
    83 GT Turbo

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by fordfreak300 View Post
    Dean sign up on the corral and you'll be fine. I need to order two, one for the stang and one for my suburban. Now my question is which color line does which speed and which is ground? I guess i could research it out or just test it with a car battery or battery charger.
    the colors depend on the year of the car, early Marks had a 2 speed fan like the T-bird, the last Marks had automatic speed control, you can tell what you got by looking at the bottom of the connector on the motor housing, at the base of the spade connector you will see a negative sign the other two spades depend on the year, if both are positive sign you got a two speed early Mark VIII fan, if on the other hand you got one spade with the positive sign and the center spade has nothing you got the newer fan.

You can confirm this by testing the fan with a car battery, just be aware that the newer fan will cause a big short if you connect the center spade to current, Just ask me how I know

hope this helps you all out

FEP Member

There's a good write up on the corral with installing a Taurus fan and using a Flex-a-lite fan controller from Summit. Better than waiting 60 days for a DC controller.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...18#post7143518

Good info everyone, much appreciated.
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast