Close

Question Need Info and Pics of stock 84 4180c Carb

I am looking for some pics and information on all of the connections (vacume, electrical, ect) that a stock 84 GT with 5-speed and no A/C should have on a stock 4180c Carb. Any information of what connects to what with some pictures would be greeeatly appreciated.

The carb that is on the 84 car now is from an 85 GT, is there a difference from an 84-85 4180c's ?

Thanks for any help guys!

Here are pics of my carb....

Bo
    - 2007 Parnelli Jones Saleen
    - 2003 DSG GT 5-Speed
    - 1970 Buick GS350

The bowls lead to the charcoal canister.
    The choke is 6V off the alternator (black/white wire).
    The base had vacuum for the charcoal canister. and another back to the temp switch at the driver's rear of the manifold.
    Of course, you would have no reason to electrically connect the idle kickup solenoid.
    85 GT convertible

The small nipple up by the air horn is EGR vacuum. The other small nipple down by the foot
    is for vacuum advance.

That throttle kicker solenoid is not original to the '85 carb.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

The two bowl vent tubes go down to the charcoal canister.

The vacuum hook up above the choke runs to a vacuum tree on the rear, driver's side of the intake. It feeds vacuum to a number of components, including the EGR.

The front has 4 hookups: 2 on the carb baseplate and 2 on the EGR spacer. The two on the EGR spacer are from 1) the charcoal canisters to suck out captured hydrocarbons to be burned in the engine and 2) a big fat tube (which it appears you have hooked up) that runs around the driver's side of the carb and hooks into a stretch of metal tubing that goes across the back of the intake and back to a fat rubber hose. I don't remember what that goes to, but it has to be emissions related.

The two hookups on the carb baseplate are 1) the driver's side port is for the pcv. My early 85 has a metal tube that hooks into the valve cover cap and has a section of rubber tubing that sticks it onto the carb port. The metal tube has the Hot Idle Compensation Valve on it also. 2) The passenger side port on the baseplate is for a vacuum tube that runs to another vacuum tree on the rear, driver's side of the intake manifold. It supplies manifold vacuum to the tree, which then gets routed at certain engine temperatures to the distributor vacuum advance canister.

The carb that is on the 84 car now is from an 85 GT, is there a difference from an 84-85 4180c's ?
    I just went through a very thorough analysis of this, since my Nov. '84 built 1985 GT had a 1984 carb on it. From what I gathered from members here and from people on ebay and other places, 1985 cars only got 1985 carbs (I would guess that 84s should only have 84 carbs on them, unless they were built really late and got an 85...?). Now for the differences:

1. the most notable difference is that the choke housing is different. 85 carbs had that vacuum pulloff you see forward of the choke cap. 84 carbs just had the cap.

2. above the choke housing, forward of the secondary housing, 84 carbs have a metal tube that runs through the side of the carb and into the secondary bore. I had nothing to hook it to on my car, so I capped it to keep it from sucking in outside unfiltered air.

3. internally, the secondary metering was improved from 84 to 85.

4. the numbers stamped onto the front of the airhorn are E4ZE-9510-xA for 84 carbs (where X is replaced with a letter--mine was SA; I think there was a YA also), the list number should be 50151, and the casting date below the list number reflects the date when the core was casted. The blue tag should be stamped with the E4ZE-xA number plus a date code that matches +/- a few days the casting date of the carb.

85s are the same except E4ZE-9510-xA is replaced with E5ZE-9510-GA, list number 50265, and a casting date that would reflect when the core was casted. The blue tag should correspond to these numbers also.

Just a note: if you are going for originality, relocate the blue tag to the upper right choke housing screw (the one right behind the vacuum pulloff housing). There was a heat shield between the carb and the EGR spacer to deflect some of the radiating engine heat. Also, I don't know what kind of throttle stop non-A/C cars used, but I've never seen what's on yours before.
    Last edited by 85stanggt; 10-24-2007 at 10:08 PM.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

Here's the only picture I have of the 84 carb on my engine...

http://www.duke.edu/~eac21/84CarbOnEngine.JPG
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

Can anyone please tell me whats the vacuum line right under the fuel line where does it connect too ? first time carb owner

Quote Originally Posted by 84-4eyed View Post
    Can anyone please tell me whats the vacuum line right under the fuel line where does it connect too ? first time carb owner
    If you are talking about the larger rubber hose that has "Made in the USA" in the second picture, it goes to the pcv in the front of the drivers side valve cover on top of the oil fill cap.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

snip:
    2. above the choke housing, forward of the secondary housing, 84 carbs have a metal tube that runs through the side of the carb and into the secondary bore. I had nothing to hook it to on my car, so I capped it to keep it from sucking in outside unfiltered air.

On my 83 Capri this was the fresh air inlet for the air to the choke. Filtered air in here, through the tubing to the exhaust manifold, and then back to the choke and eventually the carb again.

I think that's correct.
    1983 Mercury Capri, FPRP shorty headers, BBK H-pipe, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Lunati cam, stock 4180C carb, 4-spd SROD tranny. Pretty vanilla...