Close

Default best kind of spray can primer for auto body?

Alright so check it, my 86 5.0 its like 10 different colors and im planning to sand down all the rust spots and treating it with bondo or some kind of adhesive. I was wondering what the best kind spray can primer there is? Yes im going to spray it down with spray cans. At least it'll look better than what it looks like right now LOL! Although im planning to get a spray gun...

Make sure that you use a RUST CONVERTER (phosphoric acid) or encapsulator (POR15). Any auto body supply sells it for a reasonable price. Bondo is going to do nothing but trap moisture and allow the rust to continue and eventually the car will rot from the inside out.
    Last edited by 93-331-29PSI; 10-11-2007 at 11:48 PM.
    83 GT Turbo

what kind of spray can primer do you recommend for the body?

Quote Originally Posted by smashin 5.0's View Post
    what kind of spray can primer do you recommend for the body?
    Just make sure you are using auto primer. Don't use rustoleum or other all purpose type primers. If you decide later to have the car painted you will have to completely strip the "non auto" primer off so that the auto paint/primer sticks. Ask me how I know. Again stop by a local auto body paint supply company. They should have it on the shelf for a few bucks a can.
    83 GT Turbo

The best auto primer i have ever used is duplicolor high build. Its quite nice and you can sand it quite smooth if you arent going to do cc/bc. I did a high grit wet sand on some spots of my trunk to test and it looked like a semi flat gray finished color.
    1980 Mustang Notchback :: 83 5.0 from a truck! t-5 . almost running!

soon to have 7.5 rear from an 82 gt, e7 heads, turbocoupe wheels.

do they sell chrome rim paint? im thinking about painting my rims chrome. How is the quality on the duplicolor

Here is a picture of why you want to use a converter before painting or using bondo. This rust is forming under the primer/paint.

83 GT Turbo

nice so treat the rust with either a rust converter or bondo?

Treat with a converter before using bondo.
    83 GT Turbo

the best spray can primer is an etch primer. It contains a mild acid to aid in adhesion. It is the only 1-K primer that is decent from a can. Otherwise, you need to use an epoxy. That can be mixed and sprayed through a Prevail sprayer which is most like a spray can. Don't cut corners when doing bodywork. It will only come back to bite you later after you have spent more money and time. Another material you may want to use is Master Series silver. It is a 2-K product, but uses moisture to "kick" over the reaction, so you have nothing to mix. It can be brushed and sanded afterwards to get it smooth, followed by a spray can if you wish. It can also be sprayed, but again you need a way to spray it. I have used a lot of this product in my restoration business and find it superior to ALL others.
    Last edited by PetesPonies; 10-13-2007 at 10:39 AM.
    Pete's Ponies
    Mustang RUSToration & Performance

The body supply place I use sel stuff called U-POL it's good stuff.