Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default For those of you that like the "Fab'ed" look!!

This is what I did yesterday (after spending the morning at the stores to get a good deal on a new Laptop)...I wanted a 'GT' type look but didn't have the coin to get GT bumpers or even after market valances. I like the NASCAR look and am quite handy with my hands, so I took a shot at fabbing some valances out of sheet metal. I still need to finish the other three spats...but tell me what you guys think. Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    83 Mustang Hatch made Coupe with a 5.0, t-5 and sporting 10 holes. View my progress on my Cardomain Site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2363043/1

FEP Power Member

That's awesome man, I can dig it. A true hot rod. Dig the 93 Cobra style rear. Are you planning on painting it with the rest of the body?
    Marc aka tripice351. 84.5 GT-350 2.3T.. and now, 1982 GL coupe.

I modeled the rear after the Cobra so the exhaust would still come out the back...also so it would kinda hide my tailpipes as the are crappy chrome ones that have surface rust all over them, lol.

Yes, I am going to paint them the same as the rest of the car. I still have some work to do to the front. I need to put some bracing from the rad support to it and I want to put cut-outs for driving lights and probably do something to get some more air to the radiator or even an intake to feed cool air up the the air filter. I liked the idea that someone else had before, with feeding air to where the filter is, but not making it 'sealed' so you don't get water and lots of debris jambed into the filter.
    83 Mustang Hatch made Coupe with a 5.0, t-5 and sporting 10 holes. View my progress on my Cardomain Site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2363043/1

FEP Power Member

I did think of the airflow part.. I think the eggshell grille would accomplish that a bit, but more wouldn't hurt. As far as holes for foglights, you'd also have to fab up a mounting bar and brackets, or pull one from a junkyard. Air intake.. that'd require some big piping to avoid restrictions, might make for some interesting routing. You could use chicken wire to catch the big junk, careful routing and a couple well placed holes for water, and let the air filter take care of the rest. It'd be quite the project.. But hey, that's half the fun right?

For mounting the lights, I figured I would use the bracing that I still need to put in from the rad support. I am going to put one in the middle, one on each side to about where the turn signals are (or where I want to mount the lights) and one to each side so they don't get pushed in.

For air flow, I will once again do some searching at the mighty Home Depot and I should be able to find something in either the H&A/C dept and/or use dryer ducting. 4" should be good and there is plenty of room behind it to run it up to the inner fender and I can always trim some from the original bumper cover. I don't know what they have for pleniums (sp?) but I can always fab some out of sheet metal too. I may 'rice' a little and see what Autozone has in there 'performance' isle. I know they used to carry the aluminium mesh in different colors and stuff to make CAI's and such. I also need to find some cheepo lights to use.

I will have to do a quick photo chop or just go out there and lay it out with tape so I can see and plan it out so it looks good. Either way, it will probably be: light/fresh air intake/rad intake/mock air intake (to match)/light.

If anyone else has any ideas, I am all ears!!

FEP Power Member

Wow.. I just viewed your Cardomain site. You're nuts, and I mean that in the nicest way. You mention some of the damage to the 83, but you don't mention why you needed to cut it in half and splice in the front from the coupe. Did it have rotted framerails or something?

Thanks for the compliment!! I really should update that site as I have gotten quite a bit more done with it since then.

There was minimal damage to it...only the driver's side rear quarter was dented and the hatch was rusted on the edge. I made it a coupe as I have always like the coupes better and the first mustang I worked on (my best friend's at the time) was an 84 charcoal grey coupe. I used the 88 as it was only $500 and very close to me. I parted out the 4 cyl and 5 speed, as well as the hood, bumper cover/lights and rear bumper cover and only ended up with $100 out of pocket...if that much. It also gave me a complete interior, better doors and countless other little parts that would have nickel and dimed me to death. I almost went with the aero nose too...but can thank my wife for telling me to go with the 83 style and I am glad that I did when I found this site. I did have to find a hood though as it was dented in the front from being hit shut (the latch was out of alignment). It is going quite well and is a lot of fun for me. As soon as I get it in one piece again, I can try to sell all the parts that I am not using and recover more of the money I have into it.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I like it - a lot! Will you be able to mold in the rivets/screws that hold it to the urethane parts?
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

how about a single opening,grill width and centered,boxed to direct air to the rad. foglights mounted inside of the opening and air for the engine picked up at the side of the box behind the foggys.mount the foggys on a hinged bar and they flip back and up into hiding when 'off'(operated by a headlight door mechanism used on LTD Landau of mid to late 70's) the airdam would keep a lot of it's flat smooth surface.flat-black everything inide the box and it all 'disappears' behind body-color or silver mesh 'a la nascar'
    Last edited by fred414141; 11-25-2006 at 09:14 PM. Reason: spelling.......my sssssssss button sssssssukssssss
    '83 glx vert with '82 gt frontend

if you aren't trying to blow the horn with the signal lever and reaching for the key release button on your other vehicles,you're not driving the fox enough !

Ask yourself.....Is it any of my business?

I think we need to nominate you to design a new dash like was discussed in an earlier post about mr. joshua's car.

Are you going to make side sill covers? or just the spats at the wheel wells?

i love you
    If I were to degrease my car, i'd have nothing....

Neither here nor there

I am thinking that is pretty dang cool.
    Can't wait to see more

sweet.

i like rivets.
    1986 SVO: turbo'd fun!
    SOLD:'82 MUSTANG GT: 88' HO, 5-spd, 3.73s, & 17" Borbet Type-A wheels... and other goodies
    RIP: '82 Mecury Capri 5.0 : good times.....
    1969 Chevrolet Chevelle: "the other four eye"

i'd like to see a full body shot

I must be an A-hole because I dont like it. I think it makes the car look like a Franklin stove. I think you would have been better off with fiberglass so the corners werent so sharp and it doesnt look so boxy.

That was alot of work though and you are definitley good with your hands. I'm impressed with the craftsmanship even if I personally dont like it.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

i'd like to see the front changed, like the rest alot

FEP Power Member

Greg, don't be jealous. His car is half coupe, half hatchback, with some race car sheetmetal ground effects. You know you want a set for the Vanilla Icemobile.

.........coochback?
    '83 glx vert with '82 gt frontend

if you aren't trying to blow the horn with the signal lever and reaching for the key release button on your other vehicles,you're not driving the fox enough !

I like everything except the areas in front of the rear tires.... other that that, looks good!
    84 Mustang L 5.0 (drag car in progress)
    81 Mustang Cobra (project car--- MOTOR FINISHED!)
    93 Mustang LX ---gone
    83 Mustang Coupe---( next project it seems...)

Looks good, but maybe a little too much for my taste. I know when I finally get my McLaren back together, I'm using rivets for the front valance. I hate the factory 'feature strip' that was used.
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

Hissing Cobra: I planned on leaving the rivits/screws. I like that look and it would just be too much trouble to try to blend/fill them in.

fred414141: I will have to go out and mock up what you are talking about, but I think the opening would be quite narrow if it was the same width as the grill...especially if I wanted to put larger rectangle driving/fog lights in it. I do like the idea though...just might have to make it wider than the grill.

83GTvert: What is this post you are speaking of? I will have to search for it and see what I can do. I have thought about doing all aluminium interior (more like a race car) so perhaps I will look into doing that after I get it up and going.
    I wasn't planning on making sill covers, but thought about it. I have some rocker covers off a 95 that I may be able to cut up and blend in. I will have to look into that.

billison & capriman86 & not-a-stang: Thanks!! I will try to take some better pics today and see if I can get more done on it.

gregpro50: I would have liked to make some out of 'glass, but it just takes more work that I want to do, lol. I also don't have much experience with it and there were just too many variables (how to make it stick, keep it smooth and the like) and I like the nascar look more than the smoothed out look. Guess we are all entitled to what we like and dislike. Thanks for the good words.

billison: What would you change with the front?? Is it too low, too square or what? I was thinking about angling it up a bit in the front after looking at it soom more.

frost reaver: What would you do differently with the spats?? Would some sort of rocker valance help blend it in more?? They didn't turn out quite like I wanted, but I can always change them too.

Everyone: Give me some more ideas on what you like/dislike and what you would change and I will give it consideration. That is why I posted it...to get your guy's inputs and ideas. Thanks to everyone and keep them coming!!

Quote Originally Posted by eric5oh View Post
    Looks good, but maybe a little too much for my taste. I know when I finally get my McLaren back together, I'm using rivets for the front valance. I hate the factory 'feature strip' that was used.
    What is 'too much'? It has to be more because of the spats, huh? The more I think about them, the less I like 'em. I will have to see what else I can come up with for the middle.

I like it because it is different
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

Good...I am going for something different but still looks good. I could have left it alone, but that just isn't fun, is it?

FEP Member

I love it... i think it looks amazing, and i applaud you for your originality. If i had another car that i was building to roadrace, or some other type of competition - only driving, id be hitting you up to help me do it :-)
    86 GT... 3.73's, elec fan, underdrive pulley, Bassani E/L Ceramic Coated Headers, Pypes Catted X, and Magnaflow Catback, MGW Shifter.
    5 Lug Conv, with cobra binders, TownCar MC, SN95 Booster
    H&R Race Fronts, Steeda 350# Rear Springs, MM CC plates, Tokico Illuminas, and a Steeda 5-Link-2
    Sounds:
    Image Dynamics IDQ 10.2 in a sealed enclosure with a RF Punch 201S amp

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast