Close

Default If I think I saw a friend's previous car in the junk yard...

Should I tell him or have a nice hot cup of Shut the F- Up and forget I ever saw it?

When he sold it, it was really nice and clean. It's been a few years and I'm not sure it's the same car (grill, tail lights, hub caps are gone) but the one in the wrecking yard is too close for comfort and is quite clean and shiny despite being in the wrecking yard.

Should I forget what I saw?

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

To me no, there might be something worth salvaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    Should I tell him or have a nice hot cup of Shut the F- Up and forget I ever saw it?

When he sold it, it was really nice and clean. It's been a few years and I'm not sure it's the same car (grill, tail lights, hub caps are gone) but the one in the wrecking yard is too close for comfort and is quite clean and shiny despite being in the wrecking yard.

Should I forget what I saw?

Dean T
    Think he might want it back then tell 'em. Otherwise check the VIN and if salvage title strip the parts. I suppose it would be a salvage title being in the junk yard.
    85 Capri 5.0L Sport Package (purchased new)
    03 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo 4x4

-- The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Most junkyards won't even sell cars once they're in their lots. Tell him about it, and salvage any good parts. He won't get it back if its already in the parts yard.
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0 - Ran into a tree (fixed!)
    2005 Ranger XLT 4x4 - Daily Driver/Tow vehicle
    1992 Mustang LX 2.3 - MPG baby yeah!
    1994 Explorer - Fix 'n Flipper

Wasn't that old 78 of mine was it? Or is it somebody else your talking about.

if it was... nothing I can do about it.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

my local yard sold me a car right out of the gutting field. might be worth a shot i say tell him
    79 cobra- rockin the efi 2.3T again.

2007 lifted F-350 Lariat Outlaw 4x4
    83 Porsche 944
    01 GSXR 1000

Sold: 96 f-350, 69 baja bug, 86 XJS v12, jeep j-3000, wagoneer, 95 f-250, 89 LX 5.0 and a few others

Quote Originally Posted by 7t9cobra View Post
    my local yard sold me a car right out of the gutting field. might be worth a shot i say tell him
    In Cali... it's not worth it. Trust me... Dean and I both know.... we've tried.

And yeah... it was my old mont.

Thing is... what bothers me the most is that I tried for MONTHS to sell it to people here on FEP and nobody jumped on it... even though they looked. I wanted somebody HERE to have it... would have worked out a deal too... but still nothing. The car was tit's when I sold it... not a scrape or a dent on it. From what Dean PM'd me... looks like it was involved in a minor accident and drashed by the insurance co..

The Red 79 Mustang V8 notch that my neighbor owned just went to the yards too. I treid AGAIN for months to sell it to people here and no bites. The car needed work... but was fairly straight and would have made a great HO conversion.

Oh well, eh?

I need a 3 car trailer, $3000, and 3 weeks off work so I can come to Cali and bring some clean cars back east.
    83 GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI View Post
    I need a 3 car trailer, $3000, and 3 weeks off work so I can come to Cali and bring some clean cars back east.
    Yeah... Thing is about that old mont of mine... It was able to be driven anywhere. It was very reliable. I told people that they could fly out here.. I'd pick them up at the airport and they could drive it home. All they had to do was keep up on the oil due to a small leak and it'd go across country. I sold the car with barely 100K miles on it. The engine still looked fairly new.

Dean... if those valve covers are still in good condition... they'd be worth saving.

Doesn't matter... I let the car go years ago. When no body here would buy it I said F-it... I need to get it gone. I stopped caring... as much as I thought the car was a great car.

If I had Jay Leno's money... it wouldn't be an issue.

Cars here can still be picked up for dirt cheap in great condition and driven cross country... That 78 was one of them.

Yes,

That Fairmont was in great condition - I think the damage on it was cause by being in the wrecking yard. My hunch is it failed smog and since people are too lazy to try to fix it, they toss it. It may even have been a victim of the car crushing program but I think those cars lose their engines.

In hind sight, maybe I should have bought it but if I bought a 4dr I would have wanted to convert it to an ex-cop Fairmont - with EFI, of course. That would have been a shame to do to such a pristine stock Fairmont but I didn't think someone would chuck such a clean car.

It's just so depressing.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Marz View Post
    Cars here can still be picked up for dirt cheap in great condition and driven cross country... That 78 was one of them.
    Which is exactly why I'd like a 3 car trailer and $3k to come and buy a few.
    83 GT Turbo