Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric rates

I am a very staunch supporter of George Bush, but I do agree, we (the legal citizens of the United States of America) are getting left out. It seems that the government is so busy bashing each other, arguing, censuring, voting, and spending that they don't have any time for us. Even here in PA. Let's bail out Philly and Pittsburgh's money problems and then jack taxes on the rest of us. Oh, and in the meantime, let's raise our own pay a few grand a year. All the stuff that has been ignored for the past 40 years in this nation is coming around to bite us all. As for rising electric costs, the only thing I can suggest is do what I do and conserve as much as you can. If you heat with oil, tune up your boiler. 2 years ago my friend and I put a new firebox, circulator pump, nozzle, blower, and filter on my mom's boiler along with cleaning it and correcting the damper. Cut her oil consumption by 1/3. When I bought the house here in Manheim, I did a full service on the boiler and was able to only use what equated to 3 tanks of fuel (525 gallons) in the last year. I also put replacement windows in the house and regasketed all the entry doors. Made a MASSIVE difference. I also bought a ton of the corkscrew flourescent light bulbs and when we needed a new air conditioner, I went and bought an energy star Kenmore unit at Sears. Uses 850W of power instead of 1500W.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I am a very staunch supporter of George Bush, but I do agree, we (the legal citizens of the United States of America) are getting left out. It seems that the government is so busy bashing each other, arguing, censuring, voting, and spending that they don't have any time for us. Even here in PA. Let's bail out Philly and Pittsburgh's money problems and then jack taxes on the rest of us. Oh, and in the meantime, let's raise our own pay a few grand a year. All the stuff that has been ignored for the past 40 years in this nation is coming around to bite us all. As for rising electric costs, the only thing I can suggest is do what I do and conserve as much as you can. If you heat with oil, tune up your boiler. 2 years ago my friend and I put a new firebox, circulator pump, nozzle, blower, and filter on my mom's boiler along with cleaning it and correcting the damper. Cut her oil consumption by 1/3. When I bought the house here in Manheim, I did a full service on the boiler and was able to only use what equated to 3 tanks of fuel (525 gallons) in the last year. I also put replacement windows in the house and regasketed all the entry doors. Made a MASSIVE difference. I also bought a ton of the corkscrew flourescent light bulbs and when we needed a new air conditioner, I went and bought an energy star Kenmore unit at Sears. Uses 850W of power instead of 1500W.
    Yea the guys and gals at the top don't care. Why would they? Even if not re-elected they still live high and dry with huge pensions and free health care. Heck even if those jokers that go to the big house still collect! There are very few elected officials who really give a hoot. There is very little if any incentive.

I replaced the fridge, washer and dryer with GE energy star and high efficiency, and most all the lights fluorescent. House well insulated with new windows installed when I bought the place. It's the electric heat that's a killer despite being computer controlled each room within .5 degrees with timed setback.
    85 Capri 5.0L Sport Package (purchased new)
    03 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo 4x4

-- The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Yea, electric hot water or heat can be a total killer. One thing that electric heat or hot water does have is 100% efficiency. Boilers and stoves all lose some heat through the smokestack. Nothing burns with electric. It simply heats elements, therefore, in theory, it is 100% efficient. Is your house zoned? You can really save on bills that way. Set the downstairs way back during the night and set the upstairs way back during the day. What really helps us here is that we only have 2 exterior walls (excluding the roof of course) as we are a middle unit in a set of 4 old (1925) rowhomes in town. Can't beat 2 neighbors that crank their heat all winter!!
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

I'm in pa and my bills run about $200 a month with met-ed running a heat pump
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Yea, electric hot water or heat can be a total killer. One thing that electric heat or hot water does have is 100% efficiency. Boilers and stoves all lose some heat through the smokestack. Nothing burns with electric. It simply heats elements, therefore, in theory, it is 100% efficient. Is your house zoned? You can really save on bills that way. Set the downstairs way back during the night and set the upstairs way back during the day. What really helps us here is that we only have 2 exterior walls (excluding the roof of course) as we are a middle unit in a set of 4 old (1925) rowhomes in town. Can't beat 2 neighbors that crank their heat all winter!!
    Yes each room has baseboard computer controlled modules for setback (not your typical baseboard controls) which are timed by central home automation computer. There is only so much you can do in the dead of winter in a single home out in the woods with baseboard electric. I will be adjusting the setbacks again this winter. Running propane expensive as well.
    85 Capri 5.0L Sport Package (purchased new)
    03 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo 4x4

-- The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

When I bought my house five years ago my electric bill was $17.00 a month. I use the same amount of power I did then and now my bill is $78.00.The same thing happened to me at the last place I lived .I had low bills and then you use the AC one month and the bill doesnt ever get back to that original amount even though you are not using extra anymore.I think they see you can pay more and adjust your bill so over time you are paying what was at one time your highest is now the normal.
    1983 Black magic
    1986 Capri 5.0
    1999 Ford Ranger 4X4 Off Road

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12