Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Time to settle a dispute!

A friend of mine was telling me my car came with O2 sensors (85GT, manual), I tell him that I didn't remember seeing any when I removed the Y-pipe and converted to an H-pipe. He replies that perhaps they are mounted in the exhaust manifolds. I reply that I can show him my tubular headers (now stored in a box) and dare him to show me where the bungs should be.

He's telling me that any car manufactured after 82 (I think that was the year he said) should have O2 sensors, as mandated by federal emissions law.

I'm 90% sure I'm correct. Can anyone back me up, or shoot me down!

02 sensors did not come on a manual 85. the manual cars up till 85 were carbed (no use for an 02 sensor) I might be wrong , and people here will give you the facts , I believe in 83 or 84 the autos came with FI = cpu or ecu . a carbed car does not utilize a cpu to run.
    '65 GTO #'s matching 400 needs resto
    '67 Firebird Built 400 , 4sp
    '76 Trans-Am L-75 455 H/O 4sp 54k
    '84 Vette P.O.S cross-fire ( now a 383 stroker w/750 dbl pumper)
    '85 Z28 305 TPI auto 92k
    '85 SVO Under Resto I've been in a rut w/this. will finish summer 08
    '85 Capri One of my favorites ;-)
    '86 300ZX turbo 3.3 liter swap w/ic
    '87 Monte Carlo SS All stock for now..Plans- 455SD,ford 9"rear,etc.etc.

Some carb'd '85 5.0Ls had either one or two oxygen sensors. CFI ('84 and '85 w/ AOD auto) 5.0Ls definitely did. There was no auto with the 5.0L in '83, only the SROD and T-5 manuals were available.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Some carb'd '85 5.0Ls had either one or two oxygen sensors. CFI ('84 and '85 w/ AOD auto) 5.0Ls definitely did. There was no auto with the 5.0L in '83, only the SROD and T-5 manuals were available.
    That sounds like lunacy. What would the O2's tell the computer...uhh... change the primary jets uh... 3 sizes... I guess... uh secondaries... uh... make that 4 sizes...

hahahaha
    '85 ASC McLaren coupe
    EFI conversion
    Twisted Wedge heads, etc...
    13.2@105

i seem to remember the O2 sensors on carb cars somehow regulated the flow of fresh air the smog pump added to the exhaust system to keep the cat from overheating. experts chime in,don't be shy!
    '83 glx vert with '82 gt frontend

if you aren't trying to blow the horn with the signal lever and reaching for the key release button on your other vehicles,you're not driving the fox enough !

I can't see how the Feds could mandate O2 sensors. They usually mandate certain equipment to achieve a goal but O2 sensors by themselves do diddly without a computer to receive their input and affect a change on something else.

To back up what Foxchassis said, my '84 Notch with a T-5 does not have any stinking O2 sensors.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Some carb'd '85 5.0Ls had either one or two oxygen sensors.
    Explain please. What exactly were they hooked up to?

-Mike

Had to bang my head on my keyboard a few times to recall where I recently had this carb w/O2 sensor conversation before but here:

http://corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=944313

Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering View Post
    I had a 82.
    ...AKA a four eyed car...

maroon just like the car craft project that 'ustahava67" and I worked on....

in california it was available with a 2 barell and a 3 speed with overdrive the P.O.S. "SROD" .single rail shifter overdrive.
    the fourth gear was overdrive...3rd was 1:1 but thru the cluster. they broke a lot...it had a 7.5 diff.....
    lots of them had lifter problems............hydraulic flat lifter..

kinda mickey mouse exhaust...from each head the iron ext manifold had a pipe...from it they were joined together behind the clutch can and there was the o2 sensor and then the pipe would be a single to the rear along drive shaft to a cat,...and then in front of gas tank it split into two again....
    so, ...it had a sensor...it also had a preheating flapper / diverter in the exhaust that would rattle....

I kept it up untill a few years ago.
    Now that's the first time I have ever heard of such a thing, and I never did figure out what the deal was.......

FEP Member

I quick check of a few online auto parts stores does list an O2 as a replacement part for an 85 carbed Mustang, FWIW.
    "The fact that "replica" is written down the side of your gun, and "Desert Eagle point five oh" is written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking!"

Quote Originally Posted by fivonut View Post
    I quick check of a few online auto parts stores does list an O2 as a replacement part for an 85 carbed Mustang, FWIW.
    I did the same thing, and noticed that some show a three wire O2 while others show only one wire. Of all of the carbed 85GT's that I've been able to look over (and under) I've never seen an O2 sensor or the wiring that would support it. But, I've been wrong before.....

Quote Originally Posted by fred414141 View Post
    i seem to remember the O2 sensors on carb cars somehow regulated the flow of fresh air the smog pump added to the exhaust system to keep the cat from overheating. experts chime in,don't be shy!
    Rockauto.com lists O2 sensors for an 85 4bbl vin M Capri:

1985 MERCURY CAPRI 5.0L 302cid V8 4BBL (M) : Emission : Oxygen Sensor
    85 Capri 5.0L Sport Package (purchased new)
    03 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo 4x4

-- The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Interesting. Would love to see a picture of a stock setup in an 85 along with exactly what the thing does.

I have to believe it must only work with the emission system on carbed cars. I have seen tons of 85 carbs and never anything more than the AC throttle kicker (and a choke) is attached to them.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    Interesting. Would love to see a picture of a stock setup in an 85 along with exactly what the thing does.

I have to believe it must only work with the emission system on carbed cars. I have seen tons of 85 carbs and never anything more than the AC throttle kicker (and a choke) is attached to them.

-Mike
    I'll ask my restoration guy about this. My motor at the moment is stock setup although the carb was replaced a while back my understanding a factory replacement. Here's an O2 sensor on ebay for 79-86 mustangs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe an install guide can be hunted down to see where this thing goes.

-- The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Application guide for that O2 sensor says 86 and up both Mustang and Capri.

http://www.bwdbrand.com/web_app/cata...?partnum=OS100

You have to remember that there were different emissions systems/packages available in every model year. For the '85 model year there were six, not including the standard emission system:

California Emissions System (Regular Production Option 422)
    California Emissions System Not Required (RPO 423)
    Non-California Dealer Order for California Registration (RPO 76N)
    California Public Service/Emergency Vehicle Exemption (RPO 766)
    High Altitude Principal Use (RPO 428)
    Non-High Altitude Principal Use (RPO 429)
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-04-2007 at 09:50 AM.

I have all the stock stuff off my 85, so will take a look.
    '85 GT 4 time feature car
    '86 GT sold
    '88 GT pretty dang original
    '85 GT project

California Air Resources Board Standards?
    1984 Capri RS 5.0 (deceased)
    1994 F-150
    2001 Mustang Bullitt
    2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser (son's ride)
    2008 Mazda Tribute

My 86 Capri's 2.3L was carbed and had an oxygen sensor. It was one of the inputs to the EEC IV system and helped control fuel ratio via the fuel control solenoid. I know the carbed 85's certainly didn't have EEC IV (that was the CFI ones) and the ignition was still Duraspark II, so would it be possible that there was a CARB derivative of the 4180 (I think that's the carb that year) that was feedback capable? Just a thought.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    My 86 Capri's 2.3L was carbed and had an oxygen sensor. It was one of the inputs to the EEC IV system and helped control fuel ratio via the fuel control solenoid. I know the carbed 85's certainly didn't have EEC IV (that was the CFI ones) and the ignition was still Duraspark II, so would it be possible that there was a CARB derivative of the 4180 (I think that's the carb that year) that was feedback capable? Just a thought.
    Where was the sensor bolted in? Don't have original exhaust from the Y pipe back on my 85 Capri 5.0.

I'd love to see a 4180C hooked up for an O2 sensor!

-Mike

well if any did come with the o2 sensors, no one has them on thier cars these days anyways.
    '85 Capri RS - sold
    '08 Colorado - thank Christ its gone.
    '98 Cherokee - Current broken DD
    '00 Mustang GT Vert - sold.

"The most compelling reason for you to own a
    Capri is no reason that can be put into words.
    Call it a touch of sexiness. Or a touch of mystery.
    Or perhaps a touch of magic."

Keep in mind, my car was a 2.3L and not a 5.0L. It was threaded into the exhaust manifold right above where the downpipe connects. Another thing I thought of was that some calibrations of the 1980-1982 2.3L (if you can't tell, I'm a 4 cylinder guy) were equipped with a feedback variant of the Motorcraft 5200. An oxygen sensor read the exhaust gas and sent a signal to a "Microprocessor Control Unit", which combined it with a few other inputs and then output a signal to an externally mounted fuel control solenoid, which then sent a vacuum signal back to the carburetor which moved a control rod up or down to vary the fuel delivery through the jets. The ignition is still Duraspark II on those cars. This is why I brought up the possibility of there being either a feedback version of the 4180 or possibly a feedback-compatible carburetor used instead.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

the 85 carb'd 4 cyl i looked at at an auction had an O2 sensor, it was a one wire, didn't really pay any attention to where it went, i just remember seeing it
    1979 Mercury Zephyr Wag' complete with woodgrain
    1986 Mercury Capri Black 5.0/5 speed T-top
    1979 Ford Mustang Coupe 2.3/auto
    1983 Ford Mustang Coupe 2.3T/T5

for what its worth, my 79 notch with an auto and 2.3 carbed engine, DOES have a 1 wire o2 sensor. I noticed it the other day and I was like, wow!
    79 Coupe
    5.0 swap complete, T5 swap complete, 8.8 swap complete. 13.9s @98

Hm. Now I'll have to look at my '84 Notch a little closer - I don't think it has an O2 sensor. I might as well check the '83 Fairmont too. California causes weird things to be attached to our cars...

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast