Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Still Another Capri Project "Project ???"

After watching the 3 outstanding capri projects that are being/have been put together by "84rsturbo" & "Capri Debris" & "captnet" not to mention Mr. Joshua's Mustang I have decided to roll my Capri, bought off of Quick82, into the garage and start on my own Capri Project. Nothing has been set in stone with this project other than my choice in paint color, which will be Kawasaki green. My wife has appropriately named the car "Green Bean" so it is only fitting that I name it "Project Green Bean".

I'd like to say it will be ready to roll in spring, but it most likely (definitely) won't move at the speed the others members have gotten theirs done it. I hope you all enjoy.

Today I got the wife and kids to help me clean out the mess I have made of the garage over the past 4 years so we could get the Capri rolled inside out of the weather. I have been collecting parts for this for a while, as well as cutting out panels from donor cars, but I have only gotten as far as taking the hood off and putting the car on dollies.

I have identified that the passenger fender apron will need to be replaced as well as the radiator support.

I have been able to cut out a donor fender apron from the rotted out '85 coupe that I parted and scrapped a month ago. I have noticed that they aren't exact, but can't think of a need for the big oval hole in the original so the replacement should work well.

Other plans at this point my plans include:

'03 Cobra IRS
    '02 GT Front Suspension
    '03 Cobra Brakes (F & R)
    2.3t with 5spd (plans may change over time)
    '07 GT Split 5 wheels
    Last edited by 93-331-29PSI; 06-12-2009 at 08:48 PM.
    83 GT Turbo

As long as you don't plan to use an EFI airbox than no the oval won't be of any need since thats its only purpose.
    No matter where you go, there you are

FEP Super Member

Nice! I like the direction you are wanting to go with the Capri.
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

Project Green Bean... good name! Welcome to the "self abuse" of restoring a car. LOL. You gotta give us more info about what is planned for it... other than it's going to be Kawasaki green. I think that color is a good choice BTW. Keep the posts and pics coming!
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

Quote Originally Posted by capri debris View Post
    Project Green Bean... good name! Welcome to the "self abuse" of restoring a car. LOL. You gotta give us more info about what is planned for it... other than it's going to be Kawasaki green. I think that color is a good choice BTW. Keep the posts and pics coming!
    Well other than what I already posted (IRS, sn95 front suspension, Cobra Brakes, 2.3t) I haven't really thought about it. I figure that I would take it as it comes. I am planning to attack the body this winter and at least have it sealed and the underside sprayed with Line-X to prevent future problems. I also hope to pick up some motor mounts from Chuck and a log from Bob. Then in spring/summer get the engine built and trans rebuilt.
    83 GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI View Post
    After watching the 2 outstanding capri projects that are being/have been put together by "84rsturbo" & "Capri Debris" not to mention Mr. Joshua's Mustang I have decided to roll my Capri, bought off of Quick82, into the garage and start on my own Capri Project. Nothing has been set in stone with this project other than my choice in paint color, which will be Kawasaki green. My wife has appropriately named the car "Green Bean" so it is only fitting that I name it "Project Green Bean".

I'd like to say it will be ready to roll in spring, but it most likely (definitely) won't move at the speed the others members have gotten theirs done it. I hope you all enjoy.

Today I got the wife and kids to help me clean out the mess I have made of the garage over the past 4 years so we could get the Capri rolled inside out of the weather. I have been collecting parts for this for a while, as well as cutting out panels from donor cars, but I have only gotten as far as taking the hood off and putting the car on dollies.

I have identified that the passenger fender apron will need to be replaced as well as the radiator support.

I have been able to cut out a donor fender apron from the rotted out '85 coupe that I parted and scrapped a month ago. I have noticed that they aren't exact, but can't think of a need for the big oval hole in the original so the replacement should work well.

Other plans at this point my plans include:

'03 Cobra IRS
    '02 GT Front Suspension
    '03 Cobra Brakes (F & R)
    2.3t with 5spd (plans may change over time)
    '07 GT Split 5 wheels
    Best of luck (not that you'll need it) with the restoration. Mine should be done mid to end of October just in time for the snow

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=49698
    85 Capri 5.0L Sport Package (purchased new)
    03 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo 4x4

-- The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Quote Originally Posted by captnet View Post
    Best of luck (not that you'll need it) with the restoration. Mine should be done mid to end of October just in time for the snow

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=49698
    I knew there was one I was forgetting. Yours is coming along very nice also. Maybe I should have posted this in the Mercury forum instead of here???
    83 GT Turbo

I knew there was one I was forgetting. Yours is coming along very nice also. Maybe I should have posted this in the Mercury forum instead of here???
    Figured I was the odd one with everyone posting their projects in here Maybe there should be an area just for resto projects. The FEP administrator might give me a licking for that comment Hope mine comes out looking good as Joshua's!

-- The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Or perhaps the online car show.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Good luck with the project. FWIW, it looks like the frame rail is tweaked a bit in this pic...
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Well I found that the car was probably sitting under an acorn tree for a while. This pile was behind the plastic wheel liners. I plan to have the entire front end off before the night is over so I will post an update later.

83 GT Turbo

FEP Super Member

That pile of detritus looks like the crap that fell from my front fenders when I took them off too! I found lots of rust where that crap had been......beware!
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

Yep, had junk fall out of mine also. The bottom of the fender was rusted out. Replaced with another rust free fender. Funny same side as mine. The sound absorbers in there were shot on mine as well. They can be purchased new.

Blog Entries

Bonus! Free mulch!

Sorry, first thing that came to mind.

That's a lot of work ahead of you, and it looks like you'll be doing it the right way. Good luck with it. Did I miss exactly which shade of green you're going with? It's entirely possible...

Quote Originally Posted by evlgt85 View Post
    Bonus! Free mulch!

Sorry, first thing that came to mind.

That's a lot of work ahead of you, and it looks like you'll be doing it the right way. Good luck with it. Did I miss exactly which shade of green you're going with? It's entirely possible...
    picture deleted
    Last edited by 93-331-29PSI; 06-03-2009 at 08:16 PM.
    83 GT Turbo

This is the shade of green I am going to be using.

Sure you want that on your Capri? Maybe a darker shade. IMHO

Bold. Very bold. What wheels are you going to go with?
    87 Soarer//1jzgte//r154//bw 83-75

Quote Originally Posted by stockhatch View Post
    Bold. Very bold. What wheels are you going to go with?
    83 GT Turbo

I am SHOCKED that there wasn't any rust behind the fenders considering I pulled out and filled a 5 gallon bucket with leaves and acorns. The radiator support has seen better days and will need to be replaced also. More pictures

Tomorrow I will get it on stands and start stripping the underbody so I can get it coated and the suspension started.

83 GT Turbo

Look at the bright side, at least you know exactly what color you want. That's a big plus in my book.
    -Kal
    "One man can make a difference." -Wilton Knight
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Women are like cars, sometimes you find one you fall in love with, and sometimes you end up with a lemon.

Wow, thats going to look pretty sweet with the new Stang wheels. Do you plan on running some 96+ spindles? I thought I read that the 05+ wheels have a ton of backspacing. Im jealous. I wish I had the time and money to tear the Capri down and do it right.

that's only a cool color if you put a big black stripe package with it. i've seen a few vehicles around here painted the same color and the ones that are just that color look horrible. they do look cool with a black stripe package though in my opinion.
    1988gt hiding in a 90lx
    1985 capri gs 5.0-
    3 88lx parts cars
    89gt parts car
    [U]2 95intrepid-1parts,1daily driver
    www.mustangcanada.com

FEP Member

nice interesting choice for a color you'll definately stand out

IMHO, go darker. Way Darker. Try DHG. See my avatar...
    1984 Capri RS 5.0 (deceased)
    1994 F-150
    2001 Mustang Bullitt
    2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser (son's ride)
    2008 Mazda Tribute

A satin black single wide stripe with a small pinstripe accent on each side of it, and satin black window/door/ trim, grill, etc. I think that would break up the overwhelming mass of green that it might become if its all one color. Who knows though, it may look awesome monochromatic. Its easy to stripe one after the fact if its too much green.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast