Close

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Default Anyone remember my last accident thread?

If not, click here to see what you missed.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...hlight=lawsuit

To make a long story short, I got the van fixed at the expense of the other guy's homeowner's insurance. It has been fixed for nearly 6 months and I have been a very happy camper.

Fast forward to tonight and we're headed home from my daughter's cheerleading practice, when BAM!, a deer walked out of the woods and right in front of me. I hit it, then swerved and jacked on the brakes, screeching to a halt. The deer rolled about 20 feet before getting up and limping into the woods. I don't think I killed him but he lost the use of one of his front legs.

Instantly, my wife began crying and my daughters were real quiet. I felt really bad because I love animals and I never want to see them hurt. I wasn't speeding and was only going 28-30 miles per hour and I wish that I could have avoided him/her. I hope it survives.

I drove home and looked at the front bumper. It's mangled again. This time though, there's no rips in the flexible rubber so I was able to pop out the dent (flexible rubber) and will live with the cracked paint. I can go through my insurance company and I won't have a deductible, but it's not bad enough for me to warrant that option.

Pray for that deer.
    Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 09-25-2007 at 08:45 PM.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Deers can be weird...heck one ran into the side of my brothers car..Which stang was it if you dont mind me asking? Or was it the freestyle again?
    Last edited by Blainer; 09-25-2007 at 07:13 PM.
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

I got very lucky. It wasn't either stang. Although, it wouldn't have bothered me much if it was my beater (I know that doesn't sound too good!) It was my wife's '04 Ford Freestar minivan.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Very sorry to hear that. I hit one a couple years back with my F250 and there was no avoiding it. Hopefully the one you hit survives, and I am very glad it wasn't a day to drive the Mustang.
    83 GT Turbo

Wow.....I didn't even realize that I posted this in the wrong forum. If it could be moved to General B.S., I'd appreciate it. Sorry, my brain must have been fried!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Hate to say it, but the deer is probably done. They usually don't last long with an injury. Glad everyone else is ok
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

I'm also glad your airbags didn't deploy.....

88 GT 'Vert original owner

Quote Originally Posted by drquest View Post
    I'm also glad your airbags didn't deploy.....
    Yeah, that's the 2nd time in less than a year that we've hit a large sized animal. The airbags didn't deploy either time. I was talking to my wife about that and neither one of us could explain why.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Could be worse i hit a deer on the interstate at 75 mph in my lifted durango destroyed bumper hood both fender both headlights radiator trany cooler a/c condensor both fans and cracked the windshield $4500 damadge needless to say all of humpty dumptys men couldnt put the 6 point buck back to gether again. So glad when i swerved i didnt roll automatic reaction to swerve i gess

To bad about that deer. Good to hear you are all safe and that there were no major expenses derived from this incident.
    1980 Mustang Ghia 3.3 4spd

Sorry to hear this Pete. Glad to hear that everyone is ok.
    ~Paul

1982 Mustang GT
    1983 Mustang GT TTop
    1985 Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback
    1995 Ford F150 SVT Lightning
    www.cardomain.com/id/mustang4life1985

FEP Member

You guys need to learn how to hit animals. No i am not condoning "road hunting". But I have taken a few lesson from people that I know that do it. I will avoid hitting any animal if I can. But, once I'm certain there's no avoiding it, there's a method. Aim for the hind quarters, stab the brake and nail the gas just before impact. Your bumper will rise saving damage to your grill. I have hit two deer. One at 45 and one at 70. I have never had any damage that needed repair and looking at my truck you'd never be able to tell I hit two deer. Most likely you'll break the deer's back or pelvis and it won't be able to run off and die slowly. A simple phone call to the police and they will send an officer to put it out of it's misery. As a bonus they will tag it for you and you can make use of the meat. All in all I'd say it's the best possible outcome of a tragic event.
    "The fact that "replica" is written down the side of your gun, and "Desert Eagle point five oh" is written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking!"

Van's cursed...ditch it in a river.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder that myself.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

You seem to have some back luck with animals. (not as bad as the animals do with you though)

Sorry to hear about the van, but at least you, the wife and the girls are ok. At the end of the day that's what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax View Post
    Think you can convince the Mrs that it is indeed cursed? Maybe tell her there is a 2008GT over at Wareham ford that has been blessed by leprechans? A long shot but worth a try
    Last edited by CapriGT; 09-26-2007 at 06:35 AM.

Sorry to hear. I was afraid it was gonna be the cobra this time. As said above, the only thing that matters is everyone being okay.
    Matt

1985 Cougar XR-7 5 speed manual.

Quote Originally Posted by eric5oh View Post
    Hate to say it, but the deer is probably done. They usually don't last long with an injury. Glad everyone else is ok
    Yeah, glad everyone else is ok. Although that deer is coyote food by now.

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

I need to look through my old photos and find some from when one of my mechanics hit a deer in his service truck. It went up over the hood, crushed the roof and basically exploded into the cab. The inside of the truck and driver were covered in deer blood. It was pretty gruesome to say the least and the ram3500 he was driving was totaled.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400

I'm very sorry to hear about your accident ---- both for your sake and that of the animal.

My brother had extensive damage done by hitting a deer with his Town Car ---- as did a former co-worker of mine.

There have been a couple of times that I've seen deer near the side of the road while driving. My practice is to slow down to a crawl because they seem to leap when you dont have reaction time. I've been told that ---- in the dark (or dusk or dawn) ---- they are attracted by headlights though I've never done research on that explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by dburdyshaw View Post
    I'm very sorry to hear about your accident ---- both for your sake and that of the animal.

My brother had extensive damage done by hitting a deer with his Town Car ---- as did a former co-worker of mine.

There have been a couple of times that I've seen deer near the side of the road while driving. My practice is to slow down to a crawl because they seem to leap when you dont have reaction time. I've been told that ---- in the dark (or dusk or dawn) ---- they are attracted by headlights though I've never done research on that explanation.
    Its not that they are attracted but more blinded. Ive been told they freeze up. Whether or not this is true I dont know. I know they say if you see one and have the time, turn off your lights and honk your horn to scare them away. At least the damage wasnt too bad this time Pete.

well, i think you should sue. don't they have deer leash laws around where you live? lol
    sorry, just finished reading your old post. yeah, i was in a 90 mustang gt back in 91 and we hit a deer, wrote off car, she was totalled. fast forward to the next year and hit the backside of a bull moose right in the middle of the highway in a van, very lucky to have survived. fast forward 5 more years and i was driving a tempo and doing about 60 and a rottweiler dragging about 20 feet of chain ran right out in front of me, i hit it straight on and it rolled under the car and hit everything under the car. a couple seconds later it got up and ran away, i couldn't believe it. ok, that was a rave on, sorry, but seriously, sorry to hear man, you got some bad luck too. my only bad luck with animals lately is trying to figure out how to keep the damn cat from walking all over my car at night after i wash it. glad to hear you weren't hurt.
    1988gt hiding in a 90lx
    1985 capri gs 5.0-
    3 88lx parts cars
    89gt parts car
    [U]2 95intrepid-1parts,1daily driver
    www.mustangcanada.com

Sorry to hear the bad news Pete...Thankfully You and You're family are all OK!

On another note Pete, I think it would be a great opritunity for you to capitalize now and convince you're wife that it is time to get that New Mustang you mentioned about before. Instead of the Minivan? She may go for it???

I know with our insurance here in Canada it is important when making an insurance claim involving an animal, that you state "The deer hit my car" not "I struck a deer"...If not, its not covered under the comprehensive part of you're policy. Which here where I live, will not increase insurance premiums..

Back about 10 years ago one cold night in january I was driving home with my GF at the time in my 1st Mustang ('88 LX). When all of the sudden a deer jumped off of a large snowbank on the side of the road and landed on the front right corner of the car before I could even hit the brakes...It all happened so fast, and it really took a hike out of us! We were both fine, except for me I was so upset because I had just saved up for over a year to have a nice paint job done only 3 months prior. I was really bummed, it was my only transportation and some stupid deer had just wrote it off. I only had basic insurence that did not cover this accident. Anyway to make a long story short, I saved around $1700 up by May of the same year and rebuilt my baby and had the new parts painted. It wasn't as good this time but it was all I had and it worked for me until I purchased my '83 GT in '02..
    Last edited by Sweet'83; 09-26-2007 at 03:44 PM.
    '83 GT, Black, T-Tops, Leather, Built 351W (FEPFER August '09)
    '03 SVT Cobra, DSG, 2.8 Kenne Bell Mammoth, 643 RWHP 621 RW torque