Close

Angry Mass Legislators trying again to ban aftermarket exhaust

I received an action alert from SAN (Sema Action Network)

Massachusetts Bill to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems to be Considered by Joint Transportation Committee on Oct. 2

A bill (H.B. 3574) to ban the sale or installation of "an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust" was reintroduced by Rep. Liz Malia and several cosponsors (list below) and will be considered by the Massachusetts Joint Transportation Committee on October 2nd. The bill excludes limited-use "antique motor cars" from its scope - a clear attempt by the bill's sponsors to divide the automobile hobby in an effort to gain clearer sailing for this restrictive and damaging piece of legislation.

We Urge You to Contact the Members of the Joint Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 3574

- H.B. 3574 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.
    - H.B. 3574 does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.
    - H.B. 3574 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.
    - H.B. 3574 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.
    - H.B. 3574 would only exclude "antique motor cars" defined as those vehicles over 25-years old which are used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, etc.

DON'T DELAY! Please contact members of the Massachusetts Joint Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to request their opposition to H.B. 3574.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org. Thank you for your assistance.

Let me know if you need the list of contacts and a sample letter. If you live in Mass, please contact your local rep ASAP to request their opposition. They've been trying to pass this law for a few years now and it's BS.

BTW - you should sign up for SAN notices (they are filtered for your patricular geographic area). Legislators are always looking to pass new laws, the only way to help protect our hobby is to be active!

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

What about motorcycles? They are 10 times more noisy than any car on the road. If you sit outside my house on a summer night you can usually hear several motorcycles being ridden. You can't even open the bedroom windows at night.

Now I not saying they should stop people from riding motorcycles it just makes me mad that if a car was that loud you would be getting all kinds of tickets. Try starting up a car in the garage with open headers and see how long it takes for the police to show up. Let alone driving it on the streets.

This kind of feel good do nothing legislation just makes me sick. Try to find out who is sponsoring this crap and vote then out of office. Hold them accountable for what they are doing and watch them squirm.

Look around at any car show and you will see hard working people who are auto enthusiast. And I am sure the vast majority are register voters.

Ok sorry rant over. This kind of stuff just pisses me off.

They wont go through with it. It has been brought up time and time again here in Mass and nothing has ever been done.

It would be a shame if it did happen though.
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 4v HO Light Regatta Blue - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by EvilHomer270 View Post
    Look around at any car show and you will see hard working people who are auto enthusiast. And I am sure the vast majority are register voters.

Pisses me off too, I've already send e-mails to the Mass state senators and to my local state rep. I also sent the notification to Jim Silverman (President of the Mustang Car Club of New England). He already forwarded onward within the club.

If it pisses you off, do something about it. Education is the best, letters/e-mails to state legislators is the second action.

JT
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EvilHomer270 View Post
    What about motorcycles? They are 10 times more noisy than any car on the road. If you sit outside my house on a summer night you can usually hear several motorcycles being ridden. You can't even open the bedroom windows at night.

Now I not saying they should stop people from riding motorcycles it just makes me mad that if a car was that loud you would be getting all kinds of tickets. Try starting up a car in the garage with open headers and see how long it takes for the police to show up. Let alone driving it on the streets.

This kind of feel good do nothing legislation just makes me sick. Try to find out who is sponsoring this crap and vote then out of office. Hold them accountable for what they are doing and watch them squirm.

As a motorcycle rider who has had way too many close call with death on 2 wheels due to inattentive drivers, idiots that think they can text and drive at the same time, too involved in cell phone gossip to check a blind spot etc., I totally support bikes with load pipes. After a broken leg due to a driver that was oblivious to my presence, nowdays when I'm on the road on a bike, I want the person in the lane next to me to be very aware that I'm there. If that means annoying them into being aware of their surroundings, so be it. And even though it may not be my favorite thing to listen to when in my 4 wheeled vehicles, I am totally willing to put up with it to know that it means less bikers getting killed by inattentive drivers.

Now fart cans on the other hand have no excuse.....
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400

No bikes are totally cool. They just have loud exhaust. Didn't want it to sound like I was bashing bikes. And I agree with drivers not paying attention when they are driving. I drive a semi for a living and see it all the time. People don't realize that a semi can't stop on a dime. I usually get their attention with the air horn and a huge steel bumper filling their rear view mirror.

Actually had a sheriff in a patrol car come a little left of center today while he was talking on his cell phone. Really setting a bad example for other drivers.

That gets mentioned all the time. What do you tell all of the exhaust shops out there??? Pack up and close down??
    I doubt anything like that would ever be passed
    86 GT vert

Projects: 1994 roller named Shirley

Damn ricers ruining it for everyone!!
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

This an example of more senseless lawmaking. One could argue that all licensed motorized vehicles should be loud so drivers are aware of everyone else. Of course if everyone had loud exhaust be it a motorcycle, car or truck the argument ends up being a moot point. I like the sound of Harley's (and man are they loud when they blast down the back country road I live) and American thunder racing exhaust. Could do without the ricer sound (sounds like my weed whacker) from cars or motorcycles (I like the sound of my riding mower better). But hey to each their own (should be anyway).
    85 Capri 5.0L Sport Package (purchased new)
    03 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo 4x4

-- The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Does this mean I'll have to change my mufflers in order to get an inspection sticker? I'd rather pay an anonymous friend $50.00 to get me an illegal one. There's too many ridiculous laws in this state already. Why do they feel the need to waste their time on this nonsense? Back in the '60's and early '70's, there were a hell of a lot more Muscle Cars, Sports Cars and the like abusing the streets with their loud, non-catalytic converter, non-resonator exhaust systems. Just about every car back then had true dual exhaust units vs. today's cleaner, quieter cars.

This state never ceases to amaze me. Someday I'll be gone for good and I won't be missing it at all. When I do move, it'll be to a state that has dragstrips nearby. God only knows when this crappy state will move to have something like that.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Pete - they will legalize gambling here first before you see a drag strip. It's all about the money.....
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Pete - they will legalize gambling here first before you see a drag strip. It's all about the money.....
    You're right. However, the idiots won't see a dime from me because I don't gamble. The only reason that they're entertaining the thoughts of gambling is because they're so irresponsible with the tax money, they need the added revenue to fix their problems. For some odd reason though, they never hesitate to vote themselves pay raises when they feel that they're necessary. As if they don't make enough money as it is.

This state didn't even have a LEGAL Tattoo parlor until 2003. It only took them how many years to catch up to the other states? Also, the Big Dig is going to continue to hurt this state for the next 50 years.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

Huh..... a state trying to out "right wing" California..... Nothing can amaze me any more.....
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Quote Originally Posted by ScreeminChikin View Post
    As a motorcycle rider who has had way too many close call with death on 2 wheels due to inattentive drivers, idiots that think they can text and drive at the same time, too involved in cell phone gossip to check a blind spot etc., I totally support bikes with load pipes. After a broken leg due to a driver that was oblivious to my presence, nowdays when I'm on the road on a bike, I want the person in the lane next to me to be very aware that I'm there. If that means annoying them into being aware of their surroundings, so be it. And even though it may not be my favorite thing to listen to when in my 4 wheeled vehicles, I am totally willing to put up with it to know that it means less bikers getting killed by inattentive drivers.

Now fart cans on the other hand have no excuse.....
    Here's a better idea...don't ride in people's blind spots. I don't care how many wheels you have. If I have to make a sudden lane change because of someone in front or to the side of me doing something stupid I don't need to worry about someone hanging out in an area I can't easily see.

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by svobart View Post
    Here's a better idea...don't ride in people's blind spots. I don't care how many wheels you have. If I have to make a sudden lane change because of someone in front or to the side of me doing something stupid I don't need to worry about someone hanging out in an area I can't easily see.
    Would it be too much trouble to look before changing lanes? It doesn't matter if your in a blind spot or someplace that you are plainly visible. Way too many drivers just aren't paying attention and on those occasions that they do, they sure aren't looking for bikes. But I guess you answer to that is that we should all drive Hummers or something.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400