Close

Default Update on my dog thread.

I had a lot of nice people respond to this thread about looking for a puppy last week, so I wanted to give an update.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=49871

Our search online turned up a good candidate at a shelter a couple hours away, so we headed up there on Monday afternoon to check it out. They had a litter of shepard/Lab pups around 9 weeks old. They had two males and two females available. We chose one of the males. He was the biggest of the litter, and seems really laid back for a pup. The other male was so squirmy you couldn't really hold him, and when you put him down he just ran around like a little nut! Our guy (we're going to call him Zeus) was much calmer, didn't struggle when being held, and just walked around when put on the floor.

So we filled out the necessary paper work that day, as they screen people before they let them adopt one of their animals. On Wednesday they called to say we were approved. All pets are neutered before they will release them, and our boy was altered on Friday. We will be picking him up tomorrow.

Pictures to follow sometime tomorrow.

It's kind of funny that we spent today puppy proofing the house, it's almost like baby proofing. I made up some gates to confine him to the kitchen if we're not home, until he's potty trained, as we really don't want to crate him. We figure the poor guy's been crated his whole life. The kitchen has a tile floor, so that will help with the inevitable accidents. The rest of the house we made sure all electric cords were inaccessible, so he doesn't get shocked chewing them.

We are very much looking forward to bringing the new guy home.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Congrats on the new addition to your family. I hope he brings years of joy to you and your wife.
    83 GT Turbo

FEP Senior Member

Good going on your new "pup"...........I'm in the opposite situation.

A year ago my Dad died and I had to go back east to bury him............It was a real hassle finding a place for my dogs. My stepmother is in home hospice and will necessitate another trip back east before long. On top of this, Texas just put into effect a "viscious dog" law whereby the dog owner could go to jail for up to 20 years if their dog attacks someone.
    When my stepmother passes, I recieve a substantial trust fund that will allow me to travel or whatever I choose to do.
    I gave my pup to a coworker this weekend for his boys. That pup's daddy was never socialized and is just plain mean (the pup has his mother's temperment). When it comes time to make the trip back east, as much as I hate it, I'll take Bugger to the vet to be put down....a kennel won't even board him, the friend who took care of him last trip said never again, I'm left with no choices..............I really don't want to do it; he's a fawn Doberman and I had his daddy and his granddaddy............plus, if I want to take off and go to Bonneville or the coast, I will be free to pick up and go...................life is about choices when you boil it down

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    Update on my dog thread....
    Hooray for puppies!
    Congrats!
    '86 GT that technically doesn't exist
    With Accessory Reserve Load Springs
    Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    Our search online turned up a good candidate at a shelter...
    Thanks for that btw...seriously
    You get a companion and do a good deed
    Thank you
    '86 GT that technically doesn't exist
    With Accessory Reserve Load Springs
    Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!

Allright! I am glad you found a pup. That sounds like a good "mix".

Rob.
    1985 GT 4V H.O. Work in progress, off and on, since December '87. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/606903/1

Awesome! Can't wait to see pics!

Congrats on finding a pup! It's great you guys rescued one. I have found that adopted dogs make the best, its like they know what you did for them, and are forever thankful. A lil bit of advise, you need to make sure that you keep that dogs mind buisy or he will end up a holy living terror. Those breeds are extreemly smart dogs, and are working dogs. They need a job to do. This could be just playing with them in the yard, or a fun toy to have. But either way, I have saw way too many people get shepherds or labs, or such breeds, that get rid of them because they are "destructive". This is usually caused from boredom from the dog. Anyway, not meaning to preach, just offering some advice. I'm sure you will love your new doggie, and glad to see you get one!
    "Swaddled in a silent, climate-controlled cocoon of leather, modern drivers are subjected to what could only be charitably called a rubber room."

-1983 RS Capri:302,demon,blower,baer,svo,3:73,viper 6 spd,Trickflow,Eibach,BBK,borla, msd,autometer,ect.
    -1980 RS Capri: $300 junkyard find, aka: Project Resurection
    -1995 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC: Daily Driver
    -2007 GT: alloy metallic, 4.6, motorsport 2.3 supercharger, 3:73 gears, 20" shelby wheels, borla exhaust, cervinis functional ram air hood, side scoops, dyno 475 to the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Loco_Chick View Post
    Congrats on finding a pup! It's great you guys rescued one. I have found that adopted dogs make the best, its like they know what you did for them, and are forever thankful. A lil bit of advise, you need to make sure that you keep that dogs mind buisy or he will end up a holy living terror. Those breeds are extreemly smart dogs, and are working dogs. They need a job to do. This could be just playing with them in the yard, or a fun toy to have. But either way, I have saw way too many people get shepherds or labs, or such breeds, that get rid of them because they are "destructive". This is usually caused from boredom from the dog. Anyway, not meaning to preach, just offering some advice. I'm sure you will love your new doggie, and glad to see you get one!
    I do appreciate your advice. The dog we recently lost was a Lab/? mix and was very hyper for about the first 6 years or so. People kept saying how he'd calm down when he was a year old, then two years old, then three years old, etc. He was very energetic, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. We have a big fenced yard with lots of rabbits and squirrels that he loved to chase, not that he ever caught any.

And he does have a job, he's a guard dog! Not that I'd want him to be mean, but just having a big dog keeps a lot of the undesirables away.

So anyway here's some pictures of the new guy, his name is Zeus. He was born on the fourth of July, so he's just shy of ten weeks old, and weighs 18 lbs.

Now admit it, if you were a criminal, wouldn't you be afraid to venture onto property being guarded by an animal such as this?

Things are going pretty good so far, we're going through the little adjustment period while he gets used to our three cats, and they get used to him. Our cats were around a dog all their lives, and Zeus was around a ton of cats at the shelter, so I think it'll go fairly smooth. Tigger, one of the cats has already let him know he'd like a little space, and the other two are checking him out, but keeping their distance.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

That's a fine looking pup, congrats on finding him.
    86 GT 363 w/80mm turbo-currently under construction
    19 F-150 Lariat Supercrew-DD

Zues is sure a handsome little fella.

Rob.
    1985 GT 4V H.O. Work in progress, off and on, since December '87. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/606903/1

He's a cute little bugger.
    A bunch of 85gt's

FEP Member

Handsome little feller, you done good.