Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default so I'm looking at buying a newerish car/truck..what do you all think??

Raises and the work have been kind to us recently, and I'm finally able to possibly purchase something fairly nice. My problem to date has been that I have a company issued work truck that I drive daily. Because of this, my miles in my personal vehicle are only 2-3k a year, and I just haven't been able to justify getting a new car for myself when I won't drive it.

I've always wanted a new mustang, but I think 25+ is more than I want to spend (since I won't be driving much) I also plan on keeping the 86, and don't want two mustangs at the same time that I'm trying to fix up.

I've also considered an 03/04 terminator cobra, but I'm not too sure on that.

I plan on selling my 78 bronco, and for this reason I'm thinking a truck may do. While I'm a huge Ford fan, the f150's aren't too exciting to me right now. I'm not impressed with the motor offerings and seats. I have a silverado 2500...a 2006 for my work truck, and it's a big pile of garbage, so no GM products for me.

The 04+ Hemi powered Ram trucks are really looking attractive. $13-$20k gets me one with low miles, and in a single cab, quad cab, 4x4 or regular drive. I'm really leaning towards this. We have the sliverado 2500's at work, f150's, f250's, and Ram 2500 hemi's at work, and the dodge trucks really impress me the most right now.

Any other ideas guys??

Please, no imports. (this includes tundras)
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

A buddy of mine has a newer Dodge with the Hemi. Plenty of power, he likes the truck but hates the 8-11 mpg he gets. My brother has an 06 F150 and has pushed about 19.5 mpg unloaded and about 14-15 pulling his camper and he also loves it. Personally I like Ford better for an everyday truck. If youre looking for alot of pulling, the cummins in the Dodge will give the powerstroke a run for is money, but my vote is for an F1.

How about a low mileage lightning with a supercharger , and it is in your neighborhoodhttp://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=36

Someday I will own a Lightning.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 with the Hemi that I bought new, and I have been very pleased with it. It has been problem-free through 25,000 miles, and I would definitely buy another one.

Do you know how lucky you are to only put 2-4K miles annually on your personal car? Wow!
    Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

FEP Senior Member

if you only put 3000miles on it, i would not buy a newish car, i wouldn't buy a car at all, just because your job is allowing you to have that extra income doesn't mean a new vehicle is the best idea, maybe put that extra cash into an investment.
    1973 Mustang Sportroof 5.8C
    1974 IH 1010 6.4L
    1983 Crimson Cat 5.0L
    1985 LTD LX 5.0L
    1986 SVO 2.3T
    1989 Mustang Coupe 5.0L

few miles each year..........cash to invest..............buy the General Lee
    '83 glx vert with '82 gt frontend

if you aren't trying to blow the horn with the signal lever and reaching for the key release button on your other vehicles,you're not driving the fox enough !

I know, I can't really justify buying a car for myself. A couple of years back I sold my newish 98 tacoma to my father in law for half of it's value so he could have a nice solid car to drive.

I then delegated the 86 vert back into so called Daily driver status. Funny thing is, by the time the weekend happens, we plow into the wifes 05 dodge minivan. This year, my Daily driver won't see even 2k. I've had the vert out of order for at least a month and a half doing some interior work and dash swap.

So really, I can't justify needing this, other than wanting it badly.

I think I'll finish dropping in the motor into the 78 bronco, and see if that makes me happy enough. Meanwhile I'll keep looking.

the lightenings are a very strong contender too.
    Jeremy
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg

I had a 2005 F250 with the 6.0 Diesel and liked it, well until I test drove the 2006 Ram 2500 Laramie crew cab/long bed 4wd that now sits in my driveway. I didn't like the idea of 8-10mpg so I bought the CTD which has been yielding 18-21 depending on who drives it (me or the wife). It's nice having 610ft lbs of torque at 1600rpm. Best part of all was the price $34k compared to $53k that Ford wanted for a loaded F250.
    83 GT Turbo

After riding in my buddies 99 Ram 2500 (Turbo Diesel), that would be my vote.

I'm going to look at an '01 next week. I'm telling yah, good fuel milage, and with a school bus turbo, and a programer, you're going a bit quicker than a lightning

And it holds more than a driver and a passenger.
    Calon

1985 LX Notchback (Project)
    1995 Mustang GT (In For Color Change)

Well, if you are only going to put a few thousand miles a year on it ---- and keep it a number of years ---- if you make a good choice ---- you may end up with a vehicle that actually is a good investment. Still yet ---- unless you just want a vehicle ---- the earlier suggestion that you might invest the money in something else has some merit.

Though I really dont think in terms of resale or dollar-worth, my 2002 Thunderbird currently has only 4,000 miles on it.

Just some useless thoughts here.

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

Personally, I'd throw the money at finishing the Maverick and the '86 'vert first and foremost. After that? Do what you will Jeremy.... You know as well as I that you spread your money out on too many projects that are not done and another vehicle will only complicate matters even more IMHO.....
    Last edited by anthonydalrymple; 09-10-2007 at 07:36 AM.
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

you know, I hear for '08 you can get a Mustang GT500 SuperSnake. Its making about 725hp. Its really the responsible choice.
    1980 Mustang Ghia 3.3 4spd

you know, I hear for '08 you can get a Mustang GT500 SuperSnake. Its making about 725hp. Its really the responsible choice.

I think you may be right

yeah that will probably go for around 80k
    83 GT Turbo

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 Not too big, not too small, hauls lots of stuff and with a few tweeks...High 12's for about $40k
    1982 Capri T-top Dart aluminum headed 331, t-5 and a 3.73 8.8 backing it up. http://cardomain.com/ride/2378599

Sold...Sold...Sold...Sold...Sold...

With that few miles to drive each year, why take the depreciation on anything newer. Put some money into that bronco. I love those things. They are really sweet when they are restored/modded a bit. A big block, nice paint and interior, and some 35 inch tires. They are another vehicle I would have if my wife wouldn't shoot me if I brought it home, and I had more time, money, and garage space.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple View Post
    Personally, I'd throw the money at finishing the Maverick and the '86 'vert first and foremost. After that? Do what you will Jeremy.... You know as well as I that you spread your money out on too many projects that are not done and another vehicle will only complicate matters even more IMHO.....

Listen to what he says, otherwise you may end up with 10 cars with only three that runs.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

i just bought this last thursday- 03 qc 4.7/auto w/ 3.92's

'66 mustang coupe- 89 302ho T-5Z 3.80's

Quote Originally Posted by superhighoutput View Post
    well if they start sending me checks again,FREE DASH PADS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

that's a nice looking ram.

well, I broke the mustang, and that was the DD. I can't count how many times I've broken or taken apart the "DD"

I'm ditching the bronco, and am selling it at a loss to me, but am gonna use the money as a down payment on another vehicle.

I'm really digging the Ram hemi's, and would likely even give up having a 4x4 just to have a badass truck with a hemi. A 4x4 would tempt me to fix it up and offroad it.

My budget should stay realistically under 15 grand. I've found a few hemi rams that fit that budget.

I'll keep everybody updated.
    Jeremy

I bought my GMC new and after two years of working it ,it still like a new truck. Great on gas to. The Dodge Hemis are nice trucks but alot of people complane about the MPG big time.
    If you were to buy a car like a Cobra you should test drive a 01/02 WS6 trans am. I bought one new and it was the best car I have ever owned. This is comming from a guy that has owned about 50 fox cars, two new 03 Cobras and everything in between. The T/A was fast,fun,comfy,best handling,good looking ,It was just awsome. I miss it big time.
    A bunch of 85gt's

Quote Originally Posted by jleews6 View Post
    If you were to buy a car like a Cobra you should test drive a 01/02 WS6 trans am. I bought one new and it was the best car I have ever owned. This is comming from a guy that has owned about 50 fox cars, two new 03 Cobras and everything in between. The T/A was fast,fun,comfy,best handling,good looking ,It was just awsome. I miss it big time.
    That is funny. I had the same car and it was the biggest pile 'O Crap I ever owned. Maybe it was a lemon. I had the car for 25k miles and went through 3 tranmissions, 4 clutch master cylinders, 4 clutch/PP/TOB assemblies before I cut my losses and traded it. And before you ask, no I didn't beat on it, I wanted to but never got the chance. Every time I turned around I was taking it in for the damn transmission being jacked up. That car really turned me against GM performance. I really wanted to buy a vette too, but not so sure I ever would now.
    83 GT Turbo

Hooptie

Mark me down for either an early supercab Harley F150 for a 2001-2004 FX4 Level II Ranger.

Hooptie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...em110162892616

that would be perfect without the goofy visors bed covers and crap.

also, I'd rock this in a freaking heartbeat:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...em200151446370

I've loved these trucks since they came out.
    Last edited by Hooptie; 09-11-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI View Post
    That is funny. I had the same car and it was the biggest pile 'O Crap I ever owned. Maybe it was a lemon. I had the car for 25k miles and went through 3 tranmissions, 4 clutch master cylinders, 4 clutch/PP/TOB assemblies before I cut my losses and traded it. And before you ask, no I didn't beat on it, I wanted to but never got the chance. Every time I turned around I was taking it in for the damn transmission being jacked up. That car really turned me against GM performance. I really wanted to buy a vette too, but not so sure I ever would now.
    WOW, Thats why I always say that no matter what the name on the car is there is good and bad in every brand. FWIW I beat the tar out of my car every time I drove it. I ran tons of nitrous through it and street raced it and drag raced it from day one untill I sold it with 80K on it and it was like new when I traded it. The car never had one rattle no water leaks nothing. Both of my 03 Cobras were no match for the T/A as far as over all performance. My Cobra went low 11s but the T/a was faster on nitrous.
    Did you buy your car new?
    A bunch of 85gt's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast