Close

Default anybody hate home improvement projects?

I dont mind doing them but it seems every time I try something always fails causing me to have to quit and start up the next day. Today is no different. Well needed to replace the tub and surround. Get what I need the last weekend and had a buddy come over to help(cast iron tub). Get the sledge out and in about 30-40 minutes its out. Im like cool, the rest should be alright then. Wrong. Didnt take enough drywall out, needed 2 trips to the hardware store to buy the rest of what was needed, my friend has to leave early since him and his wife have plans, had a royal brain meltdown and drill holes in the surround about an inch off and to top it off, when reassembling everything the faucets decide to start leaking at about 5:56, 4 minutes before all stores that carry them close up. On top of that my mother-in-law has a cow because I have to move some stuff she bought this morning which set me back for time and them fix them tonight(which I did after 6:00). Now I cant have the water turned on due to the faucets, had to go to the grocery store a block away from me to take a dump, take a shower at my sister-in-laws house and will have to wait until 11:00 sun for the stores to open up. And did I mention that I honestly hate plumbing work? The beer is going down real good now I must say.

damn, havent you ever heard the words "measure twice, cut once"? lol good luck with any future projects, i do remodeling and general carpentry so i deal with this stuff daily..if you can i would find someone with experience to help ya, good luck! Also isnt there a gate(shut off) valve somewhere for the shower(i assume the shower/tub faucet is leaking)? check under the sink or under the house

~Mark~
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

I was going to do the same thing...my friend who would do the work let me know that it probably is a better tub then buying a new one. but it needs a good cleaning....did get new faucets for it though....haven't put them in yet....oh and the thing I hate about home improvement is the cost....and my house needs improvements........
    crusin cool, and now that I got a mustang,crusin fast too.....
    1986 Mustang SVO 1985 EXP turbo coupe

www.rioking.50megs.com

I just put on a new deck and a couple years ago put on a new roof and some replacement windows but I HATE doing plumbing. I tried to change a fitting under the sink and damn near burnt the house down trying to solder it.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    I just put on a new deck and a couple years ago put on a new roof and some replacement windows but I HATE doing plumbing. I tried to change a fitting under the sink and damn near burnt the house down trying to solder it.
    Most projects I dont mind doing or trying out, its just the same, I HATE PLUMBING. Sucks too there were no shutoffs for my shower. The sinks and stools have them but not the shower. The only other problem I have is that the faucets are old enough that no store other than a plumbing store has them and of course by that time they were closed. I can put the old faucets in and let it leak a little in the tub, I just cant havethe water on constantly. So ill try in the morning with a place I'm pretty sure will have what I need. Just to make matters worse, I tried to go take the mustang for a cruise to clear my head and got two blocks away, tried to stop and the pedal went almost to the floor so I had to 1st gear it home. Nice weekend this has turned out to be. My cutting was because I got in a hurry because the wife was bitching at me the same time I was doing that. Like I told her, she needs to have patience sometims. This was a big job for me and her complaining and her family needing me to do stuff really put me behind timewise. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by dawaki View Post
    I was going to do the same thing...my friend who would do the work let me know that it probably is a better tub then buying a new one. but it needs a good cleaning....did get new faucets for it though....haven't put them in yet....oh and the thing I hate about home improvement is the cost....and my house needs improvements........
    Thought about leaving it too but the puke yellow color was even starting to wear me out.

I'm different than most of you, I actually like plumbing. It's electrical that I have an issue with. I can do it but I rather not. With water all you do is flood areas, with electrical you can burn your house down while you slept, know what I mean. Every time my friend has a electrical or plumbing job he calls me, he hates doing it, go figure.
    -Kal
    "One man can make a difference." -Wilton Knight
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Women are like cars, sometimes you find one you fall in love with, and sometimes you end up with a lemon.

FEP Senior Member

I'd gladly come and do you guys plumbing if somebody would come finish my kitchen. OHHHH! How I hate drywalling and mudding. Then she decides to change the color of the paint. PAAIIINNN IN THE ARSE!!! Yes, the kitchen and the old lady

Chuck

FEP Member

Would you believe I love home projects. Plumbing and drywall included.

That's why my car still isn't put back together from two winters ago.

I've done home improvement projects for the last 25 years. You name it, I've done it on this old house of ours, roofing, siding, windows, plumbing, electrical, drywall, floors, ceilings, adding on, etc. I've had my fill of that.

Now it's time for car improvement projects.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

I'm in the middle of doing some small remodeling myself. I love to work on that kind of stuff, it just seems to hard to fit it all in a weekend.

I too like home improvement projects. My least favorite would be drywall mudding and sanding. As I am running out of projects around the house I am now itching for a 86 ragtop to mess around with.
    Crystal Lake Illinois
    1986 GT 306 S-trim, M2300k, Bullits 450rwhp

I should change the thread title too anybody hate having a wife around when doing projects lol. I dont really mind doing things like that its just that at times I tend to rush because shes the kind of person that wants things done right now but doesnt ever realize that things can go wrong and sometimes take longer than expected. After being around cars for awhile I realize that and dont ever put a time when something will be done unless I know for sure (oil change for examle) because with my luck something always comes up that requires more attention. She is always like "well we can get someone to do that" for whatever project and sometimes I will agree with her but on others its like "why, Im more than capable" If I can do it, why spend the money I dont have for someone else to do it. The only time I agree with that is if I know its out of my league or I dont have the tools to do it.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tman1257 View Post
    I should change the thread title too anybody hate having a wife around when doing projects lol. I dont really mind doing things like that its just that at times I tend to rush because shes the kind of person that wants things done right now but doesnt ever realize that things can go wrong and sometimes take longer than expected. After being around cars for awhile I realize that and dont ever put a time when something will be done unless I know for sure (oil change for examle) because with my luck something always comes up that requires more attention. She is always like "well we can get someone to do that" for whatever project and sometimes I will agree with her but on others its like "why, Im more than capable" If I can do it, why spend the money I dont have for someone else to do it. The only time I agree with that is if I know its out of my league or I dont have the tools to do it.
    OH! MAN.DON'T, I REPEAT, DON'T get me started on that thread. WHENEVER she's around me working, the only thought that comes to mind is, WOMEN! CAN'T LIVE WITH 'EM. ILLEGAL TO KILL 'EM!!!

She always wants to direct and criticize, but shes NEVER doing any of the work.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by lightning95sc View Post
    OH! MAN.DON'T, I REPEAT, DON'T get me started on that thread. WHENEVER she's around me working, the only thought that comes to mind is, WOMEN! CAN'T LIVE WITH 'EM. ILLEGAL TO KILL 'EM!!!

Chuck
    I must be lucky, as my wife has always been willing to help, and some jobs are pretty much impossible to do by one person. She helped me carry dry wall upstairs for god's sake! We only took one sheet at a time, where if I had another man to help we could have taken two, but she wasn't afraid to help, so what more could I ask.

The prize for most fun job has to go to ripping out old horsehair plaster over wood lath. You just don't know what dirty is till you've done this.
    408/T5/3.73's

Quote Originally Posted by lightning95sc View Post

Chuck
    Oh no, my wife has a twin?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by tman1257 View Post
    I dont mind doing them but it seems every time I try something always fails causing me to have to quit and start up the next day. Today is no different. Well needed to replace the tub and surround. Get what I need the last weekend and had a buddy come over to help(cast iron tub). Get the sledge out and in about 30-40 minutes its out. Im like cool, the rest should be alright then. Wrong. Didnt take enough drywall out, needed 2 trips to the hardware store to buy the rest of what was needed, my friend has to leave early since him and his wife have plans, had a royal brain meltdown and drill holes in the surround about an inch off and to top it off, when reassembling everything the faucets decide to start leaking at about 5:56, 4 minutes before all stores that carry them close up. On top of that my mother-in-law has a cow because I have to move some stuff she bought this morning which set me back for time and them fix them tonight(which I did after 6:00). Now I cant have the water turned on due to the faucets, had to go to the grocery store a block away from me to take a dump, take a shower at my sister-in-laws house and will have to wait until 11:00 sun for the stores to open up. And did I mention that I honestly hate plumbing work? The beer is going down real good now I must say.
    Hello tman1257,
    You hate home improvement work just because of plumbing. Well first of all if you correct your few thing related work you will not hate work. If you hire a experience plumber with you he will doing plumbing work correctly & you just work on those thing which you doing correctly that's it.
    Thanks...

residential renovations calgary
    Last edited by amit26; 05-22-2020 at 09:25 PM.

As long as there aren’t a bunch of people acting like tools none of it is too bad. Life is stressful enough without sweating the small stuff. Good luck on your project

Holy zombie thread Batman!

13 years, is that some kind of record?
    408/T5/3.73's

Gonna say maybe a spammer. First post on the forum is dredging up an ancient thread about home renos with a reply written in poor english.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    Gonna say maybe a spammer. First post on the forum is dredging up an ancient thread about home renos with a reply written in poor english.
    I think his English is fine. I just can't understand what he is saying.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Power Member

Oh, I missed the part about it being 13 years later....
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles