Close

Default Fuel filter location..

I have a better fuel filter sitting in my garage and was thinking of using it. It's just a simple inline filter with better filtration then the stock filter. I am going to remove the filter in the carb and mount the new filter inline before the fuel pump. Is that a no no? Should the filter be after the fuel pump or is it fine before the fuel pump?
    1984 SVO - .63 T3/T4, NPR, LA3, Boport 1.5
    1984 GT - 306

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

I use them before the pump but I generally use electric pumps. I did have a canister filter at the tank on my Nova with a mechanical pump for many years and never had any pressure issues so I would think its fine. A mechanical pump is designed to pull rather than push like an electric pump so I would think its even more ideal with that type of pump but thats just me.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400

Quote Originally Posted by KJDad View Post
    I have a better fuel filter sitting in my garage and was thinking of using it. It's just a simple inline filter with better filtration then the stock filter. I am going to remove the filter in the carb and mount the new filter inline before the fuel pump. Is that a no no? Should the filter be after the fuel pump or is it fine before the fuel pump?
    The problem with that will be any micro crud coming out of your pump (and there always is some) will end up in your carb/engine.

Paul
    1978 Mercury Zephyr - The FIRST FourEyed Fox
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

This fuel filter needs to be relocated.
    Attachment 128558

I'm sure that spark plug wire is holding it just fine...
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

boy -- fire waiting for a spark.