Close

Thread: SROD re-build

Question SROD re-build

I have a 79 Capri and the SROD tranny is leaking everywere. I would like to fix it up. Should I just replace the o-ring and gaskets or rebuild it. Does anyone know where I can get a kit?

Thanks Dan
    Drifting is like riding a moped, it may be fun, but in the end your still gay....

FEP Senior Member

T-5! Throw the srod in your local lake!
    1986GT C9 351W. T-3550
    Inner & Outer subs
    Griggs GR40 Suspension
    Panhard bar & Torque arm. Tub Kmember and A-arms.

1982GT w/rear wiper

http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/82...d/MVC-558S.JPG
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/MVC-001F.JPG

Theres nothing wrong with keeping and using an SROD, however I cannot find a rebuild kit for one. I'm a transmission tech and I just checked all of my sources and non of them have a kit for the SROD. You may be better off just upgrading to a T5.

If you really want to keep the SROD, you can open it up and take out the bearings and syncro's, then you can try to find them individually. I would measure the bearings and get new ones from timken, then go to a place like trans star and let the guy at the counter match the syncros for you.
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

2016 Shelby GT350

2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

Hi, I have a '79 Indy pace car that I am working that has an S-Rod trans in it. Through following instruction on Google on how to fill it from under the car I pulled the big bolt on the driver side of the trans. I almost immediately regretted it when I hear something on the inside of the trans fall and hit bottom. now I am in need of instruction on how to tear down the trans so I can fix the issue and put it back together. Can anyone tell me if there is any instruction on the web on how to rebuild this trans from beginning to end? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

I'm a builder, and I've always tossed those. I looked for rebuild parts years back and found they weren't offered. IMO if you really need it rebuilt, pull it apart and spot fix it. Find local trans supply places and see if they have cores.

You should t5 swap it. You'll get overdrive and visually no one will ever know you've swapped out the srod. Keep it in the garage if it helps you sleep at night.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip