Close

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by paul78zephyr View Post
    Dean,
    Dont apologize! You are the only one to fully document the 86 harnesses - with pictures and everything. Wiring harnesses, especicially those that are out of the car, can be very difficult and confusing to figure out. And Ford used the same connector housings in multiple places in some cases making it even more confusing. Dont knock yourself - the info you are providing is very worthwhile and needed.

Paul
    1978 Mercury Zephyr - The FIRST FourEyed Fox
    Thank you Paul. I couldn't have started this if it wasn't for you help and previous help. I'm going to adapt the '86 harness into the '84 Mustang because that's what I have (and the '84 Mustang will stay speed density) but I think the Fairmonts would be easier to use the FRPP harness which went obsolete along with the other two supporting harnesses - now I need to figure out how to make my own Oxygen Sensor Harness for the '91-'93 Mustang.

I think I saw somewhere the difference between the two harnesses in regards to the type transmissions is one pin or the other is used on the main plug depending on trans type.

I also read over at the Ford Fuel Injection .com sight that their harness is better than the new FRPP harness. I don't like the new FRPP harness, it sticks the TFI and SPOUT connectors on the end of one of the fuel injector wiring and without the salt and pepper connectors would make engine removal tough.

Okay, I'm babbling. I'm probably tired.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post

Here is the T-5 wiring harness. Note the T-5 has a Neutral indicator Switch. Note the wiring color change in the back-up light harness. I haven't figured where that big 8-pin black connector goes into the dash exactly. The 8-pin black female connector on the Dash harness has wires with different colors than the 8-pin connector shown here.

Then there's that dorky 2-pin connector I don't know where it goes.
    Dean,
    I think you may have some incorrect color codes on the connectors on that trans harness, although I cant be certain as Im looking at info for 87+ so double check.

The T-5 back-up light harness should be:
    BLK/PNK
    PPL/ORG
    RED/LBLU (Loop)

The other side of that 4-pin conn:
    BLK/PNK
    PPL/ORG
    RED/LBLU (to one side of loop)
    WHT/PNK (to other side of loop)

The dorky little two pin job (LBLU/RED, BLK) goes to 'console ash tray illumination lamp'. (On the 87+ this conn is on the taillight harness).

Now you should find that all the connector wires except the two from the Neutral Gear Switch (NGS) conn go to that 8 pin connector. The two from the NGS go to the two 1 pin connectors. That mating 8 pin connector and the mating two 1 pin connectors should be on the main underdash harness.

Paul
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

I'm going to adapt the '86 harness into the '84 Mustang because that's what I have (and the '84 Mustang will stay speed density) but I think the Fairmonts would be easier to use the FRPP harness which went obsolete along with the other two supporting harnesses - now I need to figure out how to make my own Oxygen Sensor Harness for the '91-'93 Mustang.

I think I saw somewhere the difference between the two harnesses in regards to the type transmissions is one pin or the other is used on the main plug depending on trans type.

I also read over at the Ford Fuel Injection .com sight that their harness is better than the new FRPP harness. I don't like the new FRPP harness, it sticks the TFI and SPOUT connectors on the end of one of the fuel injector wiring and without the salt and pepper connectors would make engine removal tough.

Okay, I'm babbling. I'm probably tired.

Dean T
    Dean
    Please babble. Its the best babbling Ive heard in a long time LOL!

I agree that you should use the 86 harnesses and connect them up to your 84 dash harness. I think once you figure out where it all goes in that 86 harness set it will be stright forward to see whats left unconnected and where those wires need to be connected in. I also agree that using the FRPP harness for the Fairmont will be a good idea. The FRPP harness is just a production 93 harness (mass air).

By the other supporting harnesses I assume you mean the engine harness and the O2 harness, correct?

From everything Ive read the engine harnesses were physically the same 86-93 and are direct plug and play so you could get one locally or ebay, etc, however I believe you may find that Ford changed the color codes on the 91+ engine harnesses. So if you get a 86-90 harness it may not match the colors in the FRPP harness at the S&P connectors. I can help verify this if you can tell me the wire colors in the S&P connectors on the FRPP harness.

As far as the O2 harness is concerned that is a very simple 'Y' harness from the 8-pin round connector (mating is on the passenger side of the EFI harness) to two round 4-pin conns at the O2 sensors themselves. Its possible the wiring at the 8-pin connector in the FRPP harness does not match up with production O2 harnesses - at least thats what the FRPP EFI harness manual says. And Ive read that the production O2 harnesses varied a bit over the years. Irregarless, Id just get a produstion O2 harness from any year 86-93 via local or ebay, etc and if you need to mod the wiring a bit at its 8-pin to match the FRPP that should be very simple. Let me know what the wire colors are in the O2 connector on the FRPP harness. Oh, and as far as the issue with AT and MT O2 harnesses - that is true, there where different units used - at least 89-up. Its unclear if that was the case 86-88. The issue actually had nothing to do with the O2 sensors/function. It basically came down to this: Ford needed a way to signal the computer that either the AT was in park/neutral or that the MT was in neutral/clutch dissengaged. Ultimately they must have decided that they could not do this without some type of wiring difference between AT and MT but they did not want to have different (expensive) EFI harnesses. So they decided to have different (cheap) O2 harnesses. The AT and MT O2 harnesses have a small jumper wire loop at the 8-pin connector. Depending on AT or MT this loop connects to different pins. The EFI harnesses have wires at all these pins so the jumper in the O2 harness determines the 'personality' of the EFI harness and enacts the proper wiring in the EFI harness for At or MT. I hope that made sense (a bit of babbling myself LOL). Like I said if you give me the wiring color codes at that 8-pin connector on the FRPP harness I can (try to) tell you how the O2 should be wired.

Paul
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

Paul,

Okay, I'll break out the FRPP harness tomorrow for the Oxy Sensor connector wire colors; it should be easier since it's new. Unlike the '86 T-5 harness which is covered with oil and you're probably right about the colors since the oil changed the colors a bit. The Purple/Orange is a stretch though since the back-up harness definitely has a white/purple wire - I'll check the scans of the '86 wiring diagrams to see if it's an '86 thing.

The engine harness is pretty easy to find: lots of Speed Density Lincoln MK VIIs to harvest the harness from. The Oxy Sensor harness are tougher to get because it seems only the Mustangs have the separate harness and most of the 5.0L Mustangs already have their engines pulled by the time I get to them along with the surrounding wiring. I may wind up buying the replacement Oxy Sensor harness connector and grabbing connectors off the sensor ends of the MK VIIs to make my own harness. I do have one Oxy Sensor Harness that I miraculously was able to extract from a Mustang that was in a front end collision (why it still had its engine). Unfortunately, I didn't know about the peculiarities at the time so it's a mystery harness. I'll dig it out tomorrow and see what I have. If I really get adventurous, I may disconnect the one on my '89 but rather not - it's the only car I can take to work!

Dean T

hmm I understand that i think. Well I finished porting my lower intake. I can now begin removing everything to begin installing all of the hard parts then start to connect the wiring.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

Paul,

Okay, I'll break out the FRPP harness tomorrow for the Oxy Sensor connector wire colors; it should be easier since it's new.
    This is what I think you should find at that 8-pin conn:
    4 pins are used for the O2 sensor:
    GRY/LBLU - R O2 sensor signal
    RED/BLK - L O2 sensor signal
    GRY/YEL - O2 sensor power (splits into two wires for each O2 sensor in O2 sensor harness)
    BLK/WHT - O2 sensor ground (splits into two wires for each O2 sensor in O2 sensor harness)
    (Each 4-pin O2 sensor connector will have 3 wires - signal, power, gnd)

3 pins are used for the trans 'in gear or not' signaling (only two wires are used for a given trans type and the jumper in the O2 harness determines which two):
    LBLU/YEL or WHT/PNK?
    BLK/WHT or GRY/RED?
    XXX/XXX ??

1 pin for the low oil sensor
    XXX/XXX ?

Paul

guys, perhaps you could help. I ripped my entire dash off today, and pitched it (I'll be putting on a better condition dash)

I'm trying to source out why my power door locks and interior lighting won't work....

I read the wiring diagrams, and the PINK wire is the wire for power door locks. I traced this pink wire back to the door locks to confirm.

This pink wire comes out of the fuse box too, which I have to assume is still the power door locks.

this pink wire goes into the connector shown, with a black and light blue striped wire. It goes into the connector shown with I believe a white wire. NOW, this other end has only one white wire, but doesn't have anything else going into the other end. I suspect one of the wires came out of the plug, but I can't find it.

can any of you guys compare your harness to mine in the pic and tell me if there are supposed to be two wires or one going into this??

thanks!!

Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

I'll have to rummage amoung the dash wiring to see what I come up with. The Power Windows and Locks harness had a 2 pin connector with only a WHT/PNK wire coming out of it - it's near the relay I've mistaken for the Fuel Pump Relay in my pictures. Could that be the connector? I spent all day looking over the '86 Oxy Sensor Harness connector, the FRPP Main Harness to Oxy Sensor connector, and an unidentified Oxy Sensor Harness I grabbed from the wrecking yard. None seem to match each other and the FRPP and "86 harnesses wire colors don't seem to be matching the documentation. I'm starting to see spots!

Okay.

The '86 OS harness connector is an 8-pin connector using only 5 wires. The colors are (as far as I can tell) GRN/BLK, BLK/GRN, WHT/PNK, DRKBLU/GRN.

The FRPP OS connector on the Main Harness is a fully populated 8-pin connector: GRY/Y, R/BLK, BLK/W, PUR/Y, WHT/PNK, GRY/BLU, BLU/Y, WHT/PUR.

The FRPP Install Manual only list the following colors: PUR/Y, BLU/Y, DRKBLU/GRN, GRY/Y, BLK/GRN, WHT/PNK

The unknown harness is as follows:

GRY/Y, R/BLK, GRY/BLU, BLK/Y, WHT/PNK.

It looks vaguely familiar. I'm afraid I'm going to have to poke it with pins and trace out each wire and position and who goes where and which wire splits in two and which side goes where. Ugh. This may take a while!

Dean T

I'll have to rummage amoung the dash wiring to see what I come up with. The Power Windows and Locks harness had a 2 pin connector with only a WHT/PNK wire coming out of it - it's near the relay I've mistaken for the Fuel Pump Relay in my pictures. Could that be the connector? I spent all day looking over the '86 Oxy Sensor Harness connector, the FRPP Main Harness to Oxy Sensor connector, and an unidentified Oxy Sensor Harness I grabbed from the wrecking yard. None seem to match each other and the FRPP and "86 harnesses wire colors don't seem to be matching the documentation. I'm starting to see spots!

Dean,
    I would not expect the 86 harnesses to match the colors of the FRPP which is essentially a '93 production harness. Ford completely changed to color codes for '91+ but the wiring itself stayed very similar. For example on a 90 harness there might be a red wire from such and such pin on the EEC to such and such pin on a sensor. On a 91 the wire is still there but its green, etc.

Okay.

The '86 OS harness connector is an 8-pin connector using only 5 wires. The colors are (as far as I can tell) GRN/BLK, BLK/GRN, WHT/PNK, DRKBLU/GRN.
    Yes 5 pin/wires because the early harnesses did not have the 'trans in gear or not' function (see my previous post). The O2 harness side will not have the jumper.

You only listed 4 but they match up fairly close to the 87/90 colors:
    DGRN/PPL - R O2 sensor sig
    DBLU/LGRN - L O2 sensor sig
    GRY/YEL - O2 sensor power
    BLK/LGRN - O2 sensor gnd
    WHT/PNK - Low oil sensor

Double check to see if you have GRY/YEL.

The FRPP OS connector on the Main Harness is a fully populated 8-pin connector: GRY/Y, R/BLK, BLK/W, PUR/Y, WHT/PNK, GRY/BLU, BLU/Y, WHT/PUR.
    Those match pretty good with what I could find for that harness in my previous post.

The unknown harness is as follows:

GRY/Y, R/BLK, GRY/BLU, BLK/Y, WHT/PNK.

It looks vaguely familiar. I'm afraid I'm going to have to poke it with pins and trace out each wire and position and who goes where and which wire splits in two and which side goes where. Ugh. This may take a while!

Dean T
    Those colors I cant find in any documentation I have. Ill keep looking though.

Paul

Paul,

Yes, I forgot the common GRY/Y in the '86 O2 harness. So it does match the '87/'90 quite well. And I checked the unknown harness again, it's fairly close to the '91/'93 color scheme - it's oily so the BLK/Y should be BLK/WHT. It also has a BLU/Y jumper that I missed before.

I will have to check on this in better light. I think I may have to do a continuity check too.

Curiousity got the better of me and... HOLY @#!! This is HUGE! We can MAKE our own O2 harness! No longer slaves to those who sell them on Ebay at ripoff prices or the left to the fickleness of Fate in wrecking yard shopping. Grab the O2 wiring and O2 sensor connectors off a Lincoln MK VII or any other vehicle that shares the same O2 sensors and connectors - grab as much of the wiring as you can get. The O2 harness connector to Main Harness (computer harness) is a common round black 8-pin connector. In an '86 Mustang, you can fine one near the Power booster on the harness coming out of the driver side firewall. Get the male end.

If you are facing the male end, there are two alignment studs at 9:00 and 4:00 with the securing clip at 12:00. There are two rows of four.

For a 1986 Mustang:

Top row from left to right is (Notused) (O2 Sensor GRND) (L O2 Sensor Sig) (O2 Sensor PWR)
    Bottom Row from L to R is (Notused) (Notused) (R O2 Sensor Sig) (Low Oil Level Sensor)

The wire colors looks like so:

Top Row L to R : (Notused) (BLK/GRN) (DRKBLU/LGRN) (GRY/Y)
    Bottom Row L to R: (Notused) (Notused) (GRN/BLK) (WHT/PNK)

My mystery O2 harness turned out to have two pins jumpered on the connector but had the same 5 wires running from the connector (with the BLK/WHT and GRY/Y wires bifurcated). It's wire colors suggests it's similar to the FRPP harness.

The same 8-pin connector is laid out as so:

Top row from left to right is (Jumpered) (O2 Sensor GRND) (L O2 Sensor Sig) (O2 Sensor PWR)
    Bottom Row from L to R is (Notused) (Jumpered) (R O2 Sensor Sig) (Low Oil Level Sensor)

Look familiar?

Here are the colors:

Top Row L to R : (LBLU/Y) (BLK/WHT) (R/BLK) (GRY/Y)
    Bottom Row L to R: (Notused) (LBLU/Y) (GRY/BLU) (WHT/PNK)

Tada! But now, the next question: Is this for an automatic trans or an manual? If I can reach it I may try to look at my '89's harness to see if it's similar and what colors it has. My '89 is a daily driver and is an auto trans. If anyone has a FRPP O2 harness, now would be a good time to check the wiring and colors out. I thought I bought one long ago but I can't seem to find it. That's what I spent most of today doing, looking for that harness and the wrecking yard version I had...

Dean T
    Last edited by Dean_T; 07-30-2007 at 01:53 AM.

The following is not 1986 Mustang related.

The FRPP Main Harness (Computer Harness) O2 harness connector is laid out as follows:

The same 8-pin connector except female:

Here are the colors:

Top Row R to L : (PUR/Y) (BLK/WHT) (R/BLK) (GRY/Y)
    Bottom Row R to L: (WHT/PUR) (LBLU/Y) (GRY/BLU) (WHT/PNK)

I reversed the order to make it easier to match the colors to the O2 Harness connector above. The PUR/Y, WHTPUR, and LBLU/Y seems to be the jumper pins.

Now, watch me step outside and get runned over!

Dean T

For a 1986 Mustang:

Top row from left to right is (Notused) (O2 Sensor GRND) (L O2 Sensor Sig) (O2 Sensor PWR)
    Bottom Row from L to R is (Notused) (Notused) (R O2 Sensor Sig) (Low Oil Level Sensor)

The wire colors looks like so:

Top Row L to R : (Notused) (BLK/GRN) (DRKBLU/LGRN) (GRY/Y)
    Bottom Row L to R: (Notused) (Notused) (GRN/BLK) (WHT/PNK)
    Those colors and arraingment matches the 89/90 O2 harnesses I have exactly except bottom row GRN/BLK (R O2 sensor sig) should be GRN/PPL (purple probably looks black) and two of the three 'not used' are used for the jumper (not used on 86) that you have noted below on the 'mystery' O2 harness.

My mystery O2 harness turned out to have two pins jumpered on the connector but had the same 5 wires running from the connector (with the BLK/WHT and GRY/Y wires bifurcated). It's wire colors suggests it's similar to the FRPP harness.

The same 8-pin connector is laid out as so:

Top row from left to right is (Jumpered) (O2 Sensor GRND) (L O2 Sensor Sig) (O2 Sensor PWR)
    Bottom Row from L to R is (Notused) (Jumpered) (R O2 Sensor Sig) (Low Oil Level Sensor)

Look familiar?

Here are the colors:

Bottom Row L to R: (Notused) (LBLU/Y) (GRY/BLU) (WHT/PNK)

Tada! But now, the next question: Is this for an automatic trans or an manual? If I can reach it I may try to look at my '89's harness to see if it's similar and what colors it has. My '89 is a daily driver and is an auto trans. If anyone has a FRPP O2 harness, now would be a good time to check the wiring and colors out. I thought I bought one long ago but I can't seem to find it. That's what I spent most of today doing, looking for that harness and the wrecking yard version I had...

Dean T
    Yes its familiar! Like I said the physical arrangement of the wires is the same even though the colors are different. The same pins have the same functions.

Your mystery O2 harness is for a automatic trans. The manual trans harness connector would be:

Bottom Row L to R: (LBLU/Y) (Notused) (GRY/BLU) (WHT/PNK)

just one pin changes on the bottom row for the jumper (LBLU/YEL).

So the bottom line on any O2 harness is this:
    Auto trans:
    Top row L to R (Jumper) (O2 Sensor GND) (L O2 Sensor Sig) (O2 Sensor PWR)
    Bottom Row L to R (Notused) (Jumper) (R O2 Sensor Sig) (Low Oil Level Sensor)

Manual trans:
    Top row L to R (Jumper) (O2 Sensor GND) (L O2 Sensor Sig) (O2 Sensor PWR)
    Bottom Row L to R (Jumper) (Notused) (R O2 Sensor Sig) (Low Oil Level Sensor)

The jumper and/or low oil pins can be deleted if not needed.

Paul

The FRPP Main Harness (Computer Harness) O2 harness connector is laid out as follows:

The same 8-pin connector except female:

Here are the colors:

Top Row R to L : (PUR/Y) (BLK/WHT) (R/BLK) (GRY/Y)
    Bottom Row R to L: (WHT/PUR) (LBLU/Y) (GRY/BLU) (WHT/PNK)

I reversed the order to make it easier to match the colors to the O2 Harness connector above. The PUR/Y, WHTPUR, and LBLU/Y seems to be the jumper pins.

Now, watch me step outside and get runned over!

Dean T
    Yes! Those match what I thought you would find in the FRPP harness in my previous post and the mystery harness which we can now say is a 91+ AT harness:
    This is what I think you should find at that 8-pin conn:
    4 pins are used for the O2 sensor:
    GRY/LBLU - R O2 sensor signal
    RED/BLK - L O2 sensor signal
    GRY/YEL - O2 sensor power (splits into two wires for each O2 sensor in O2 sensor harness)
    BLK/WHT - O2 sensor ground (splits into two wires for each O2 sensor in O2 sensor harness)
    (Each 4-pin O2 sensor connector will have 3 wires - signal, power, gnd)

3 pins are used for the trans 'in gear or not' signaling (only two wires are used for a given trans type and the jumper in the O2 harness determines which two):
    LBLU/YEL or WHT/PNK?
    BLK/WHT or GRY/RED?
    XXX/XXX ??

1 pin for the low oil sensor
    XXX/XXX ?

Paul
    Its the same functional pinout as we have determined, jumper pins and everything.

Paul

One more thing. Ive always wondered why the FRPP manual (pg 8 ) specifically says 'DO NOT USE STOCK 88-90 MUSTANG HEGO HARNESS' (meaning with the FRPP EFI harness). Previously I just assumed that there was some wiring difference between the FRPP harness and those O2 harnesses but we have just determined that the wiring/pinouts/functions are all the same, just the color codes are different. Are we are missing something?

Paul
    Last edited by paul78zephyr; 07-30-2007 at 03:52 PM.

One more thing. Ive always wondered why the FRPP manual (pg 8 ) specifically says 'DO NOT USE STOCK 88-90 MUSTANG HEGO HARNESS' (meaning with the FRPP EFI harness). Previously I just assumed that there was some wiring difference between the FRPP harness and those O2 harnesses but we have just determined that the wiring/pinouts/functions are all the same, just the color codes are different. Are we are missing something?

Paul
    That is troubling and the previous version (when it was the Ford Motorsport SVO Multiport EFI blah-blah manual) didn't mention the restriction of year of O2 harness. Did the O2 sensors change?

Dean T

That is troubling and the previous version (when it was the Ford Motorsport SVO Multiport EFI blah-blah manual) didn't mention the restriction of year of O2 harness. Did the O2 sensors change?

Dean T
    Hmm. Do you have this version?:
    http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/M-12071-C302.pdf

It does not show the O2 sensor harness restriction.

Mine says Ford Racing Performance Parts and many of the color codes shown throughout are different than the one above. On the back cover mine says 'PSA0442 01/01 2500'. Ill bet that 01/01 is Jan 01 (version). The one in the above link does not have the back cover so I dont know when its from. I never knew there were multiple versions of this manual.

Paul

Dean T

Mine says Ford Racing Performance Parts and many of the color codes shown throughout are different than the one above. On the back cover mine says 'PSA0442 01/01 2500'. Ill bet that 01/01 is Jan 01 (version). The one in the above link does not have the back cover so I dont know when its from. I never knew there were multiple versions of this manual or even multiple versions of the harness!

Paul

wow you guys are really figuring out a lot while I am at work.

Onto the ac situation. From what I havew been told there should be a connector for the ac to plug into. that is where we will have to splice into it for the power from the hvac controls. I was told it may be down by the computer but I havn't researched dean's pics of the 86 harness yet to determine this. I'll see if I can figure out anything else. It may be when I get home before I can figure it out though.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

Mine says Ford Racing Performance Parts and many of the color codes shown throughout are different than the one above. On the back cover mine says 'PSA0442 01/01 2500'. Ill bet that 01/01 is Jan 01 (version). The one in the above link does not have the back cover so I dont know when its from. I never knew there were multiple versions of this manual or even multiple versions of the harness!

Paul
    Paul,

I have that version and the back of the last page is blank. I have the newer FRPP too and the inside of the last page has

M-0800-EFI03 02/03 600 PSA1501

My hunch 02/03 is Feb 2003, the last year the harness was offered.

Regarding your comment on the wire color for the '86 O2 Harness, RH connector, R Sensor Sig wire color being GRN/Purple rather than the GRN/BLK I listed, You are correct, it is GRN/PUR.

I think the error is minor enough I could just mention the correction here.

Mark,

I'm not sure if it makes a difference but the '86 Mustang harness puts the A/C relay down stream from the A/C pressure switch. The A/C pressure switch is mounted directly on the accumulator on the firewall. I'm going to have to figure out where the '84's A/C control wires run versus the '86 but I'm thinking I can get away with installing my own A/C Relay wiring along with the coil wiring and other functions the two connectors near the power booster contain. I really rather not use the '86 driver side wiring harness I have since it was jacked up a bit by the previous owner.

Good Luck on your '84's conversion!

Dean T
    Last edited by Dean_T; 08-01-2007 at 01:44 AM.

I am at home and tomorrow will be working on the car however I won't be doing any wiring figuring out until I get all of the hard parts installed. After that I will be all over this wiring hard core. I'll try to figure it out then too. Maybe I'll get lucky and be doing that this weekend.

Hey guys I found this on very useful things, it's the 86 harness for efi/ecu

right click, save as, and you'll be able to zoom in quite well.

hope this helps

Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

I already have that saved on my computer. I have been using it to trace things out.

well I got my car torn apart. I was ready to start installing all of the hard parts( intake and related pieces) But I got a call for work and have to get to bed so I can get up at 11pm tonight. I'll continue this weekend on it.

Dean,
    This is what the 89/90 engine harness connectors (10 pin S&P) have for pinouts. Holding the connectors so that the wires are facing up towards you and the plastic clip for attaching them to the hanger bracket on the upper intake is to the left and starting with the pin at 12'oclock and going clockwise:

White connector (function - goes to EEC pin)
    WHT/RED (oil press sender - not used for EEC))
    RED/WHT (water temp sender - not used for EEC)
    ORG (EEC GND)
    GRY/YEL (CANP - 31)
    ORG/WHT (VREF - 26)
    BRN/LGRN (EVP - 27)
    LGRN/YEL (ECT - 7)
    DGRN/LGRN (TPS - 47)
    center pin BLK/WHT (SIG RETURN - 46)

Black connector
    TAN (INJ 1 - 58 )
    WHT (INJ 2 - 59)
    BRN/YEL (INJ 3 - 12)
    BRN/LBLU (INJ 4 - 13)
    TAN/LBLU (INJ 5 - 14)
    LGRN (INJ 6 - 15)
    TAN/ORG (INJ 7 - 42)
    LBLU (INJ 8 - 52)
    WHT/LBLU (ISC - 21)
    center pin RED (PWR - 37/57)

As discussed on the O2 harnesses these colors may or may not match your engine harnesses due to color code changes over the years, however like I have previously stated I believe that ALL 86-93 5.0L SD/MA harnesses should be physically/functionally the same (pin to pin) irregardless of color. The 86 schematic as posted by V8 only seems to indicate that many of the colors DO NOT match the 89/90 colors Ive posted nor do the 91-93 colors from the Tmoss schematic. But they all should be physically/functionally the same. Please look at your engine harness/connectors and let me know if they are pin for pin functionally the same.

Paul
    Last edited by paul78zephyr; 08-02-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Okay, I'm still hunting for that blasted engine harness I just took off and I can't seem to find the other one either. I seem to have too much stuff! LOL. I'll get to it.

Oh, I just noticed the '84 Mustang also has a WOT Cutoff Relay. There is a switch mounted on the carb which breaks power to the WOT C/O Relay when the throttle is wide open. The wire from the switch to the WOT C/O Relay solenoid is R. The wire from the A/C Pressure switch mounted on the Accumulator to the WOT C/O Relay switch contacts is PK/LBLU hash line.

To use the '84's WOT C/O Relay (which is mounted on the passenger side apron) This is Wrong! (it's actually on the pork chop brace under the steering column), take the PK/LBLU wire coming from the old switch, remove the switch, and tap into the PK/LBLU wire coming from the '86's computer. Probably the best place is to tap into the harness before the PK/LBLU wire goes to the one of the two connectors that are located near the power booster.

I'm begining to think the wiring to those two connectors can be adapted to the '84 harness without using the '86 driver side wiring harness. I need to look at the '84 to verify.

Note: this is for the V8 carbureted wiring harness only, all others are rather different!

Dean T
    Last edited by Dean_T; 10-11-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast