Close

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Yeah I bet it would be even funner with the cats off, but I want to stay smog compliant at all times. I will pick up my horse power levels when get to start adding after market components. I need to do a few things to the suspension first though.

I haven't gotten it smoged yet or paid up my tags either. Hopefully next weekend I can get it smoged.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

Mark,

When you get it smog, please let me know what you had to do to get it "okayed". I'm facing a similar situation with the '83 Fairmont (well, eventually when I get the engine and swap done...).

Good Luck!

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

are you gonna have to go to a ref, or can you slide by at a normal smog station?
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

I am just going to a normal smog station. With CFI being an option they list it as fuel injection and the smog techs don't know the difference. I'll let ya know how it goes after I get it smoged.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

Is this a don't give the guy more info than he needs situation?

I'd laugh if they smog your car at the less stringent '83 standards instead of the '88 standard. Best of Luck!

Some how I don't think I can get away with that with an '83 Fairmont - LOL!

Dean T

Sure you an just put a mustang emblem on it and tell them it is a mustang and they are out of their mind if they disagree. Your 83 will probably have to goto the referee. Since I used 86 wiring I could tell them it is an 86 fuel injection system and then they will smog it at 86 standards.

The mustang unfortunately didn't get finished in time. The suburban got worked on all day today to get it back on the road. The wife's cavalier is on it's way out so she needed her Intrepid back. I had to do a full brake job and shocks on the rear of the suburban. Tomorrow I have to do a regular brake job on the intrepid. I just didn't have the money yet to pay up the tags on the mustang.

I have not yet smoged the car. Everytime i think I am going too something else happens. Writers are striking and I may be out of work in 3 weeks and thursday night someone tried to steal the car. I am now leaving the battery dead instead of charging it. I also added my own device to lock the garage like fort knox so it should be safe now.

Default unrecongnized 1986 manual transmission wiring harness

trying to figure out where the 1 pin brown connector is suppose to go to under the dash. It part of the manual transmission harness in the trans tunnel. The color of the wires are grey with yellow strip. It connects to another brown connector that has 2 blue with yellow strip wires under the dash.

Hey, you guys want a REAL efi conversion challenge???

I'd be willing to pay someone to help get mine up and running.

I am using a harness from a 94-95 5.0/AODE Mustang, talk about confusing.

I have lots of wiring diagrams but am still confused about how to power this thing up to get it to run in my car.

Pics of my harness: http://www.svt-enthusiast.com/modules/gallery/album442
    1979 Zephyr, EFI GT40P 5.0, Mac longtubes, Dynomax exhaust, AODE transmission, 3.27 geared 8.8, subframe connectors, Lakewood uppers/lowers, trunk mounted battery, fuel cell >
    < My Photo Galleries: http://s474.photobucket.com/user/Ltn...?sort=3&page=6
    More GT40P info than you ever wanted to know...http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1014187

Quote Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
    Hey, you guys want a REAL efi conversion challenge???

I'd be willing to pay someone to help get mine up and running.

I am using a harness from a 94-95 5.0/AODE Mustang, talk about confusing.

I have lots of wiring diagrams but am still confused about how to power this thing up to get it to run in my car.

Pics of my harness: http://www.svt-enthusiast.com/modules/gallery/album442
    why is that a real efi conversion? it sounds like alot of unecessary work for little to no gain.

a real efi conversion is building your harness from scratch and then doing the same with a tune like i am doing with megasquirt.

edit:

Pennex2112- i can have a look at my car later tonight or tomorrow and get back to you on that. for some reason i think it has to do with the reverse lights.
    Last edited by StangBoy; 08-02-2008 at 09:27 PM.
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

edit:

Pennex2112- i can have a look at my car later tonight or tomorrow and get back to you on that. for some reason i think it has todo with the reverse lights.[/QUOTE]

much appreciated. I think the reverse light has a 4 pin connector to a 2 pin that is clipped on to the manual transmission.
    The wire i am confuse might have something to do with neutral safety or some sort of neutral switch for cruise control.

bump for someone looking for the info

I too am trying to get DETAILED informatoin on the 86 5.0 ECU harness's 8-pin and 4-pin connectors by the booster, what color wires go where? My PCM harness is a 3.8 CFI on my 86. Anyone know exactly what to splice where? I know two are temp/oil and two are clutch safety on the 8-pin, but would like details on them all please.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Is every wire needed in the main harness or can you weed some out? I will not have ac or smog/egr

You can weed some out. The wires you really have to have for the EFI to be functional, is any wires going to a sensor, all of the wires to fire the furl injectors, the power wires, the ac relay needs to be hooked up to get power if your loom has it in it. With out smog/egr your going to get codes in your computer, you will need a tune to have them deleted out so they don't show up, or some other way of tricking the computer to think they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    I too am trying to get DETAILED informatoin on the 86 5.0 ECU harness's 8-pin and 4-pin connectors by the booster, what color wires go where? My PCM harness is a 3.8 CFI on my 86. Anyone know exactly what to splice where? I know two are temp/oil and two are clutch safety on the 8-pin, but would like details on them all please.
    If you scour through all of my posts you will find where each wire connects.

Quote Originally Posted by fordfreak300 View Post
    You can weed some out. The wires you really have to have for the EFI to be functional, is any wires going to a sensor, all of the wires to fire the furl injectors, the power wires, the ac relay needs to be hooked up to get power if your loom has it in it. With out smog/egr your going to get codes in your computer, you will need a tune to have them deleted out so they don't show up, or some other way of tricking the computer to think they are.
    Thanks

Bringing this back to the top, someone is coming looking for it

Quote Originally Posted by paul78zephyr View Post
    Dean,
    This is what the 89/90 engine harness connectors (10 pin S&P) have for pinouts. Holding the connectors so that the wires are facing up towards you and the plastic clip for attaching them to the hanger bracket on the upper intake is to the left and starting with the pin at 12'oclock and going clockwise:

White connector (function - goes to EEC pin)
    WHT/RED (oil press sender - not used for EEC))
    RED/WHT (water temp sender - not used for EEC)
    ORG (EEC GND)
    GRY/YEL (CANP - 31)
    ORG/WHT (VREF - 26)
    BRN/LGRN (EVP - 27)
    LGRN/YEL (ECT - 7)
    DGRN/LGRN (TPS - 47)
    center pin BLK/WHT (SIG RETURN - 46)

Black connector
    TAN (INJ 1 - 58 )
    WHT (INJ 2 - 59)
    BRN/YEL (INJ 3 - 12)
    BRN/LBLU (INJ 4 - 13)
    TAN/LBLU (INJ 5 - 14)
    LGRN (INJ 6 - 15)
    TAN/ORG (INJ 7 - 42)
    LBLU (INJ 8 - 52)
    WHT/LBLU (ISC - 21)
    center pin RED (PWR - 37/57)

As discussed on the O2 harnesses these colors may or may not match your engine harnesses due to color code changes over the years, however like I have previously stated I believe that ALL 86-93 5.0L SD/MA harnesses should be physically/functionally the same (pin to pin) irregardless of color. The 86 schematic as posted by V8 only seems to indicate that many of the colors DO NOT match the 89/90 colors Ive posted nor do the 91-93 colors from the Tmoss schematic. But they all should be physically/functionally the same. Please look at your engine harness/connectors and let me know if they are pin for pin functionally the same.

Paul
    Update from three years ago. I finally got around to performing a continuity check on my '86 main harness and it is wired exactly as Paul had written. One exception is Paul forgot the Green-Black (ACT - 25) wire next to the DGRN/LGRN (TPS - 47) wire on the white connector.

I have since decided to use a supposed '90 wiring harness but its wiring color codes are a bit different:

White connector (function - goes to EEC pin)
    WHT/RED (oil press sender - not used for EEC))
    RED/WHT (water temp sender - not used for EEC)
    ORG (EEC GND)
    GRY/YEL (CANP - 31)
    BRN/WHT (VREF - 26)
    BRN/LGRN (EVP - 27)
    LGRN/RED (ECT - 7)
    DGRN/LGRN (TPS - 47)
    GRN/BLK (ACT - 25)
    center pin GRY/RED (SIG RETURN - 46)

Black connector
    TAN (INJ 1 - 58 )
    WHT (INJ 2 - 59)
    BRN/YEL (INJ 3 - 12)
    BRN/LBLU (INJ 4 - 13)
    TAN/BLK (INJ 5 - 14)
    LGRN/ORG (INJ 6 - 15)
    TAN/RED (INJ 7 - 42)
    LBLU (INJ 8 - 52)
    WHT/LBLU (ISC - 21)
    center pin RED (PWR - 37/57)

It rings out electrically exactly as the '86 and Paul's '89/'90 harness. My supposed '90 main harness White connector GRY/RED center wire makes it seem like a later wire harness but since its Fuel Pump Relay is separate from the main harness, I know my harness is not a '92/'93 and most likely could be from a '91 despite the F0Z engineering number on the tag. Another FEP member had recently asked about a Fuel Pump relay problem with his donor '91 wiring harness and I made the false assumption the '91s had their fuel pump relays built into the main harness. His harness has the fuel pump relay separate like the '89/'90s which agrees with Charles Probst How to Understand, Service and Modify Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control .

Just some more info bits - I'm pretty sure this means any engine harness whether it came from a Speed Density Mustang or Mass Air would work with any SEFI Mustang Main Harness.

Dean T

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    Okay, Some more interesting stuff:

I understand what Mark was saying now. The Fuel pump relay harness plugs into the driverside door harness big time and one connector plugs into the tail light harness. [7/28/07 - This is not what Mark meant - I mistaken the Power Window and Lock harness as the FPR harness - the Power Windows and Locks Harness plugs into the Driver Side Door Harness and the Passenger Side Door Harness]

There are three connectors left on the [IGNORE]fuel pump relay[/IGNORE]Power Windows and Locks harness I do not know where they go yet. The big grey 8-pin connector I'm holding, the single male bullet connector, and the 2-pin connector with one PNK/WHT (?) layin on top of the [color=red][IGNORE]fuel pump[/IGNORE] (power window) relay. The wire color is hard to tell - the color is all run together. I have a hunch the connector in my hand goes to the dash harness and the bullet connector goes to the female bullet connector in the computer harness. I do have the dash harness, it's still installed in the '86 Mustang's dash. I'll have to get pics of it and the fuel pump relay connector next.

Remember the 3-pin mystery wire on the computer harness? I got the color wrong and corrected it in the previous picture and it hooks up to a connector in the tail light harness. Mark mentioned this previously.

12/01/10 update See Post #19 by Fordguy. He is correct, this connector plugs into the wire harness to the fuel pump relay. Note the wire colors and scroll down to the pics of the fuel pump relay harness.

Oh, BTW, the two connectors in the blue roll of tape in the previous picture are from the tail light harness.

There are a ton of connector here and I'm sure most go to the dash harness and some probably connect to the multi-function turn signal switch and some of the single wire connectors may go to the seat belt wire.

I haven't found the transmission wiring so I can't compare it to the dash harness connectors and someone stole the console from the wrecked '86 so I don't have a clue what those connectors look like unless the '84 console has the same wiring. I can grab the '84's console next and find out.

Jeremy, the program I used to insert the text came with my old digital camera I'm using. It's not the best (I can't draw lines) but it does okay.

RUH-ROH! I screwed up. Apologies to Paul. I put the HEGO (Oxygen sensor) harness on the wrong connector. The HEGO harness goes on the 8-pin with 5 wire mystery connector on the computer harness (near the TAB, TAD and EGR Control Solenoids).

That 8-pin connector I had the HEGO sensor hooked into? That goes to the 8-pin 7 wire connector on the driverside harness near the power booster.

Oh, and the spout connector is next to the TFI connector. Also, the '86 has one Self Test input connector.

Yup, I goofed. I'll have to reshoot those two pictures...

Thanks all for the input, it helps in the searching. I guess I should start figuring out what each of the wires are and where they go...

Dean T
    i need this
    1985 GT with T-tops
    1989 GT vert
    1966 coupe
    1978 KZ1000 LTD
    2007 GMC Z 71
    1986 KX250

I hope this helps. I created the following from my '84's conversion to SEFI using a '90 Mustang SEFI main wiring harness. I created diagrams of the pin outs for the connectors on various years SEFI main wiring harness which need input from the dash, underhood, or HEGO harness.

Here's the one for 1986:

The following picture has the updated designations. If you need the wire colors for the HEGO, 8, 4, and 3 pin connectors (yellow boxes), refer to the diagram above.

Oh, BTW, it was mentioned that the 2-pin white and 2-pin black connectors for the neutral/Clutch sensor circuit are taped up in an auto-trans car but the '86 Mustangs with AODs didn't have these connectors - well, I spotted these connectors in a '90 Aero nose AOD equipped Mustang. Both connectors were taped to the underhood harness where it had passed through the firewall by the power brake booster and are inside the car next to the pedal support. The black connector with the red/light-blue wire has a jumper because this wire goes to the starter solenoid.

I'll check my '89 AOD hatch to see if it has the pair as well.

Dean T
    Last edited by Dean_T; 05-29-2011 at 11:33 AM.

86 50CPRI

Dean, These last two pics/ diagrams are a godsend...Thank you. I will definitely be needing them for my 85 RS to Mass Air Adventure. already have the 86 Dash and underhood harness,(as well as a Ford Racing Mass Air harness,and a stock mass air harness) but still shy on the fuel pump wiring. I figure on that I can source most of what I need from a later model fox, though

Thanx for keeping this thread up to date Dean! My next adventure will be to learn to tune my SEFI MA swap with the moates quarter horse. That should be fun! NOT!

Hey guys, I joined this forum because of this thread and just wanted to say thanks as it's going to be very helpful with my project, but I am sure I will have more questions to ask. I have a 1986 Notch that I am putting back together from nothing, everything, and I mean everything was taken apart when I purchased it, wiring included. I am currently in the process of installing the tail light, under dash, and headlight/driver side harnesses and hopefully I can figure it all out.

I am glad my mess of a thread has brought you to a good forum. There are a few threads around here about this conversion. 2 that i started and one that Dean_T started. Search and read them all and you will find tons of information.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast