Close

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Cool thread - dealing with my own mess trying to find power to my HEGO's! I test them for 12v and I get nothing. However, my low oil sensor DOES have 12v. I've traced back to the 8-pin 7 wire connector...but not sure which way to go...anyone wanna take a look at the thread I started to see if they can help?
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=114879

Much appreciated,
    Mike

I am hoping you guys can help me identify some connectors. At the end of the driver side/headlight harness there are some pretty heavy wires coming off the passenger headlight harness area.

One of them is a small white 3 pin connector with 2 wires. One wire is yel/wht and the other is GRN/R? hard for me to tell cause I am color blind. The yellow/white wire traces back to an 18GA fuseable link straight to the starter solenoid. The GRN/Red wire goes to a 20GA fuseable link near the wiper motor connector area and stops there.

Another plug is a wide flat 3 pin plug looks kind of like the coil plug but a little biger, has 2 large wires going to it. Both are black with two yellow stripes and trace back to main fuesable link going to the starter relay.

Third plug is a single pin with a big yellow wire going to it, and going straight back to a 16GA fuseable link on the firewall.

I will get pictures of these in a minute if it'll help.

I am not using the original 5.0 in this coupe so I do not have the engine part of the harness, so from that I am assuming that these three pins somehow connected to the engine harness/computer? I would just like to find out what they are exactly incase I need them.

Any info would be great, thank you.

EDIT: Here's the promised pictures...

Last edited by Dman03GT; 05-30-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Alternator plugs

Ah... awesome, I missed that completely. What about the single pin big yellow wire?

86 50CPRI

The flat one with 2 heavy gauge wires are the B feed from the alternator,the smaller one is the regulator connector. The large Yellow one is usually for some accessory feed.

I've been trying to locate the constant hot wire on my fuel pump relay, which currently has no power, and I can trace it back to the 3 Pin connector which is supposed to plug into the engine harness and goes back to the ECC relay.

However, since I do not have that portion of the harness on my car I am trying to locate another source for the constant hot for the fuel pump.

Does anyone see any kind of a problem with me using the YEL/WHT wire from the regulator connector as the constant hot wire for my new fuel pump relay?

Also could I use the 2 heavy gauge wires or the large yellow wire as a constant hot for my Mark VIII electric fan?

www.veryuseful.com

A web site that may help you out on your mission

Quote Originally Posted by 83ttop View Post
    www.veryuseful.com

A web site that may help you out on your mission
    Thanks

I've already got all their diagrams saved, I was looking in a different section though and totally missed the alternator wires. However, I still don't see the single yellow wire anywhere in here?

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...nks-ign-ac.gif

FoxFleet

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post

Oh, BTW, it was mentioned that the 2-pin white and 2-pin black connectors for the neutral/Clutch sensor circuit are taped up in an auto-trans car but the '86 Mustangs with AODs didn't have these connectors - well, I spotted these connectors in a '90 Aero nose AOD equipped Mustang. Both connectors were taped to the underhood harness where it had passed through the firewall by the power brake booster and are inside the car next to the pedal support. The black connector with the red/light-blue wire has a jumper because this wire goes to the starter solenoid.

I'll check my '89 AOD hatch to see if it has the pair as well.

Dean T
    This thread has helped me greatly, as well as the heater core, 5 speed pedal swap threads. Thank you all for your info. I am going through a 5 speed swap on an original 86 AOD Car...I have an entire 86 5-speed harness and so I can snap some pics if it helps. These are the pics I took to show the difference between the two, and I am trying to figure out the clutch switch. As others have stated, my 86 AOD headlight harness is missing the two connectors for the clutch sensor.

Black Connector- Red/Blue both wires
    White Connector-Blue/yellow, Black/White (What do I do for this wire?)

Pic of 86 5 speed headlight harness

Pic of 86 AOD headlight harness. Notice that even though there is no black/wire going to the end of the 8pin connector from headlight harness, but the steering harness does have the black/white wire from there. Should I connect this?

This is the 86 5speed harness with attachment points that I need to splice into AOD harness.

With that said, my AOD headlight harness has 2 red/blue wires and 1 light blue/yellow wire going to an 8 pin connector at steering column where the red continues red, the blue/yellow connects to 2 white/pink.

The 5 speed headlight harness only has ONE red/blue that goes to clutch switch, from there it goes into 8 pin connector. The light blue/yellow comes from headlight harness to clutch switch, from there it attaches to the trans harness. It never proceeds on to the 8 pin connector at the steering column. So, at the connector I have the red/blue that continues from headlight to steering harness the same color, but the light blue/yellow never hits this connector. Where the lightblue/yellow attaches on my AOD car, it continues into steering column same color, but the 5 speed spot is blank on the 8pin, 2 white/pink wires on the steering column side of the 8pin.....

How do I splice in my reds in and out of the black clutch connector to the 2 red coming from AOD headlight harness?
    Solder "T" in the lightblue/yellow in to AOD headlight harness, or divert it from 8pin altogether? Black/white to where, non-existent on AOD headlight harness?
    Here is the pic to help show what I am thinking I need to splice in.

Sorry for the million questions, am I over-thinking this? Given my 2 harnesses, maybe I should just be asking what's the easiest way vs. the factory way. Thanks again for everyone's help on this, I am trying to set the car up so that the clutch safety is active for my fiance and her son's safety. I have a full 86 wiring diagram with several references to the Clutch switch, but never lists the 5 speed clutch safety white connector with the blue/yellow wire and black/white wire.

On a seperate note....do I use the AOD O2 sensor harness or the 5 speed? I have converted the car to Mass Air already and am running an A9M computer.
    Last edited by FoxFleet; 11-13-2011 at 05:08 PM.

86 50CPRI

could the missing connector from the clutch area be for Speed /cruise control that one harness had,vs the other one? There is a cruise disconnect for the clutch pedal, just a thought..

FoxFleet

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    could the missing connector from the clutch area be for Speed /cruise control that one harness had,vs the other one? There is a cruise disconnect for the clutch pedal, just a thought..

So, you think maybe one of the two connectors is for starting the car in neutral, the other is to deactivate cruise when the clutch is pushed in?

I didn't realize this, but you may be right.....the AOD car I am doing this conversion to does not have cruise control, so maybe I only need to hook one of these two connectors to the clutch switch? Anyone know?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

The black ug with he red/blue stripe wires goes to the lower switch on the clutch pedal.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

FoxFleet

I understand that, and have one source from another car.....do you by chance know what the Red/Blue wires do on the headlight harness??? I only have one on my 5 speed headlight harness, but 2 on my AOD harness? Looks like one goes to the starter solenoid, the other maybe the distributor?

The following two links should help. Unfortunately, I have '86 5 speed wiring harnesses so I can only make an educated guess on the AOD '86 harness based on what I know about the '89 Mustang with AOD.

'86 connector pinout and clutch switch connectors

The first picture above shows the pin-out of the connectors from the computer harness. The black 8-pin and 4-pin connectors are near the power brake booster area where the underhood harness goes through the firewall on the driver's side.

The second picture shows how the white connector on the clutch switch harness is wired.

Wiring interface schematic

The above isn't exactly what you have with the '86 wiring but if you look at the last picture in the post you will see how the black connector on the clutch switch is wired. The R-B (or R-LB - I wasn't terribly consistent) originates from the ignition switch and is hot only when the ignition switch is turned to START mode. After the clutch switch the R-B wire goes to the starter solenoid and the other wire goes to the TFI module.

Hopefully that makes sense - sometimes my explanations get a bit disjointed.
    Last edited by Dean_T; 11-15-2011 at 10:37 PM.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

86 50CPRI

the R-B routing makes perfect sense, as the clutch switch is there to interrupt this very circuit so it wont start without the clutch pushed in.The fact it goes to the ignition/TFI is so the module 'sees ' a crank signal

FoxFleet

Pete Thanks for your info, I am getting closer by the minute. I traced both the Red/Blue from the TFI module and solenoid on both the 5speed and AOD harness.

5speed harness has R/B TFI wire soldered to R/B solenoid wire before it enters the firewall. The AOD harness has both wires run all the way through the firewall, and both wires go all the way to a pin on the 8PIN connector at the headlight to steering column connections. So, my intention is to mimic the 5speed harness and interrupt both the TFI and solenoid wires by diverting both through black connector on clutch switch. Correct?

Dean, I have read all of these posts and don't know how I missed them in my search. Thanks a million for your help, there is a lot of valuable info here....you mind double checking my work and rationale?

As for the white connector on the clutch switch, I need to address the Light Blue/Yellow and the Black/white wires.

Does this LB/Y wire come from Pin 30 of the ECM through the engine bay back to the headlight harness? The LB/Y wire on 5speed headlight harness goes from engine bay through the firewall to white connector on clutch switch to manual trans harness. This LB/Y wire on AOD harness comes through the firewall and connects to the same 8 pin connector as the Red/blue, but for what function? Can I divert the LB/Y from 8pin altogether and go to white clutch connector on to the manual trans harness by the radio?

Lastly, the Black/white wire(s). The 5 speed harness has 1 B/W wire (from somewhere on engine harness) into the firewall and onto the 12Pin connector at steering column. At this Pin, the other B/W wire is tied in and heads to the white connector with the LB/Y wire. AOD has neither wire, in fact, the AOD headlight to engine harness connection isn't drilled for this pin? What shall I do here? I think I am having a hard time understanding the second schematic re: the white connector.

Can I simply plug in the 5speed O2 harness once I complete this integration of the clutch switch connectors? Does it matter whether I use an A9P or A9L once this wiring is done?

86 50CPRI

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...ng-ECC-EFI.gif

You may have already looked over this site, but I have found it helpful. The diagram I linked to should be for a 86 SEFI , and while it doesnt show connector info, it does show colors, which sometimes is more helpful if you can see the paths.

You mentioned you have the complete 86 diagram. I am looking at the Ford EVTM for 86, and to be honest, it can be confusing, as there is so much detail. You can download this is an elecronic format from a member here, V8only, look in his signature.

In this diagram, you can see the R/LB turn into the wht/Pink at the Auto trans/clutch switch bypass. The Cruise interrupt,is the R/LG wire coming from the brake switch,turning into LG at the connecctor,or a LG loop for auto, then R/LG hashback into the cruise control module.

FoxFleet

Alright, I finally finished the wiring and the car seems to run good with no issues and an A9L. The car is converted to Mass air, but after looking at (2) 1986 5-speed and (1) 1986 AOD harness, I decided to emulate the 5-speed harness entirely.

Couple things to note: The 5-spd and AOD O2 sensor harnesses are identical....Driver side has 3 wires, B/G, G/LG, GR/Y
    Passenger Side has 3, B/G, G/P,GR/Y

Low Oil is Y/P

I used the 5 speed harness to rob the B/W wires I was missing and ran them from headlight harness into steering column harness. The headlight connection comes from the engine harness, and this connector were indeed drilled, just had a white plug in the pin hole....so I simply added this wire and mimic'd the 5-speed design. The R/B wires, I cut before the switch, ran both through the switch and then onto the column harness. Again, simply copying the 5speed harness. Hope this helps.

86 50CPRI

glad to see you had success in getting this adapted to your needs. Great job!

North Florida/ "Way Down Yander On the Chattahoochee"

Subscribing for my future EFI swap.

This was very helpful I am currently reinstalling a harness in an 86gt still on the fence as I have not made much progess on the injector and fuel pumps running so it may end up carbed?

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

Stumbled across this thread from a search, so adding these links, apologies if they've already been added previously. Just want to find this thread when I get started with the Dugan wagon.

1986 Mustang 5.0 1986 EEC/ ECM. EFI wiring schematic, by TMoss:
    http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...ng-ECC-EFI.gif

1986 Mustang 5.0 1986 Lighting Diagram schematic, by TMoss:
    http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...ng-Diagram.gif

1986 Mustang 5.0 1986 Body Diagram schematic, by TMoss:
    http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...dy-Diagram.gif
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011