Close

Arrow Manual brakes, anyone running them?

Anyone switch to manual brakes? I'm looking at the Maximum kit for my 86 road racer.
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

May i ask why you want to switch? I have manual brakes on my car with four wheel discs from a 95 cobra. Doesnt stop very well. I have to stand on the brakes to slow it down.

Been running them for years, not a problem personally

Looking to get better pedal feel. I know how to threshold brake so no need to stand on them. The MM kit gives you better leverage with their pedal design.
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

My plan is LSC rear end, SN95 front disks, 85 Town Car master cylinder, Summit proportioning valve, MM manual brake kit.
    Anyone else have a similar setup?
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

I just ordered the MM kit. It should be here Wednesday. I have a Wilwood master cylinder w/ over a 1" bore(can't remember right now) that's what they recommend. They also state you should have upgraded brakes all around. I have Aerospace on all 4 corners.

Quote Originally Posted by papis408 View Post
    I just ordered the MM kit. It should be here Wednesday. I have a Wilwood master cylinder w/ over a 1" bore(can't remember right now) that's what they recommend. They also state you should have upgraded brakes all around. I have Aerospace on all 4 corners.
    Cool, let me know how the kit works out.
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

I have the MM Manual brake pedal kit on my open track SVO, using 11.65" Cobra rear brakes, 13" Brembo front brakes and a 15/16" Cobra master cylinder...works great!

HTH WS

Quote Originally Posted by CP86SVO View Post
    I have the MM Manual brake pedal kit on my open track SVO, using 11.65" Cobra rear brakes, 13" Brembo front brakes and a 15/16" Cobra master cylinder...works great!

HTH WS
    How's the pedal feel vs power assisted?

I thought about buying one for my car, and after talking to the tech at MM, he convinced me it was in my best intrests to stick w/ the vaccum assisted brakes as i was going to do a fair amount of street driving..
    IMO. i'm happy with my brake system (for now)
    83 GT w/ T-Tops (JeffCleaned)
    2021 Turbo Blue Audi S5

Quote Originally Posted by papis408 View Post
    How's the pedal feel vs power assisted?
    Very firm, but linear...the more you push, the more braking you get. You can still lock the wheels if you push hard enough...but I'm a cyclist and can leg press over 700 lbs several times easily.

It's a bit of a legful for street driving, but when open tracking, it can't be beat.

HTH WS

Mike Croke

I run manual brakes on my '79 Capri. I used the pedal and firewall plate from a junkyard car that originally came with manual brakes. It does take more effort but I don't think it's too bad.

FEP Senior Member

just remember to change the pedal whatever you do!
    1973 Mustang Sportroof 5.8C
    1974 IH 1010 6.4L
    1983 Crimson Cat 5.0L
    1985 LTD LX 5.0L
    1986 SVO 2.3T
    1989 Mustang Coupe 5.0L

Quote Originally Posted by sleepercoupe View Post
    just remember to change the pedal whatever you do!
    Nice that its adjustable also.
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

Now, I seem to recall the auto trans cars have a different manual pedal than the manual trans cars in terms of non-power brake pedals. Is this really true and could a person mix 'em? I have two of them floating around somewhere (I think I even grabbed the push rods along with the adapter plate) but unfortunately, I do not remember the transmission type I grabbed them from.

If '65 Mustangs are any relevance, my previous V8 '65 Mustang with factory front disc brakes was manual (of course, power was not an option for front discs in '65) and it felt fine to me.

I have a hunkering to convert my '83 Fairmont to manual to see how much I can push the weight issue with it.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    Now, I seem to recall the auto trans cars have a different manual pedal than the manual trans cars in terms of non-power brake pedals. Is this really true and could a person mix 'em? I have two of them floating around somewhere (I think I even grabbed the push rods along with the adapter plate) but unfortunately, I do not remember the transmission type I grabbed them from.
    Dean T

You can mix a manual break pedal between all boxes. There are (at least) two types of manual pedals, automatic & manual shift. Either will fit into any pedal box, however the pivot moves to a different spot. The hole should be there for that separate spot.

My '82 came with an automatic & manual brakes. I converted to stick shift by putting in my pedal box from my '90 but put the manual brake pedal into that new box. The only problem I have is the pedal is a little large but I can shape it to fit.

I'm using the 1" Lincoln M/C w/ '96 disk brakes all the way around. I like the feel. I've also had a '65 Mustang and '65 Falcon with manual brakes so I'm quite used to it.

-Steve in NJ