Close

Default '85 LTD LX tach question

I start my car, the tach goes to about 4750 rpm and stays there. Car runs fine. Before I start poking around, wanted to see if anyone has run across this same problemo. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gkeepa View Post
    I start my car, the tach goes to about 4750 rpm and stays there. Car runs fine. Before I start poking around, wanted to see if anyone has run across this same problemo. Thanks.
    Stock tach?

If no other problems and you did not 'change' anything then its probably that you tach is dying.

Paul
    1978 Mercury Zephyr - The FIRST Foureyed Fox
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

Default Tach question

Yeah, it's stock. Any ideas about swap options/using guts for repair from another Fox-body tach/referrals to guage repairs shops any of you mighta used before? Thanks for any input.

Are you certain that the needle isnt mechanically binding on something? Im not familiar with that particular tach and I cannot say if you could swap 'the guts' from a Mustang tach or not. Im sure that LTD LX tach is RARE. Basically I think you need to (carefully) pull your instrument cluster and take out the tach and go from there.

Paul
    1978 Mercury Zephyr - The FIRST FourEyed Fox
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

No idea, but as mentioned, the tachs are hard to find. I believe the guts are different than other Ford tachs, but I have no proof to back that up.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Default '85 LTD LX Tach

I don't know if it's hanging up on anything, per se. When I turn off the car, it drops back down to Zero as it would normally, it's just dropping from
    4500+ rpm instead of +/- 750 rpm. Right after I start the car, It'll shoot straight up with(seemingly) no snags/hesitation. I try to catch any needle movement while I'm driving--it does move a bit between 4500 and 5000, but it doesn't coincide with acceleration or deceleration. It's definitely a ponderous situation. As I find time to look into it, I'll keep you all posted as to any discoveries I make(good or not-so-good). Thanks for the input. I am not looking forward to the investigation process.