Close

Neither here nor there

Default Valve cover gaskets - Brand ? - Rubber / Cork ?

I plan to clean my valve covers when I swap my throttle body/ egr spacer.
    I am going to bead blast the Upper intake as well...not relevant...lol

What brand/type cover gasket do you recommend for a stock EFI cover?
    Also should I reuse the stock hold down hardware...or is there something better for stock covers?

I saw some ARP's in another thread....

These.....are they better? will they work?
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...6&autoview=sku

Last edited by capriman86; 05-16-2007 at 11:25 AM.

I will only use the neoprene style Felpro gaskets. Studs are nice, and keep things lined up, if you want to pay the extra for them.
    83 GT Turbo

I'm a believer in the tried and true cork gaskets. They simply require a retorque after a few heat cycles.

Rubber and other expensive gaskets can leak just as well as cork if improper sealing surfaces or techniques are used during instalation.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

I always use Fel Pro VS50029C. These are cork/rubber with crush limiters pre-installed. I coat both sides of the gasket with a THIN layer of Permatex Ultra Blue, install the VCs and let the silicone set up overnight before running the engine. Ive NEVER had a VC leak on my 5.0L. And the stock VC bolts are fine - Im using ARP stainless bolts (not studs), but just for looks. But Im using the stock fasteners that hold the plug wire seperators at those locations (one per side)

Do NOT beadblast the inside of the upper intake. You will NEVER get all the blast out and it will destroy your engine. Even if you are considering doing only the outside I would be VERY carefull in masking off any entry path to the inside. The stock upper is powder coated from the factory - is this what you want to remove? I just had my stock lower bead blasted but NOT the upper. The upper I had jet washed. To bead blast the lower they removed all of the baffles on the bottom side. The lower looks better than new. The upper is clean.

Paul
    Last edited by paul78zephyr; 05-16-2007 at 01:13 PM.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

Neither here nor there

the powder coat on my upper is peeling in places and doesn't look so good now.
    I am very aware of the dangers on blast media in the motor but thank you for
    that info....it could be catastrophic to someone if not done correctly for sure.

I was going to tape all the port holes off, then i was going air it off, and I have
    access to a dunk tank that I can let wash it for an hour just to be safe.

Its no prize engine bay, but with a few things like a clean upper, valve covers,
    and clean the oxidizing off the atlernator, power steering pump, tensionor,
    etc etc it will make it more presentable I think.

I thought about pulling the lower off, but I don't know if I want to get that deep into it...

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI View Post
    I will only use the neoprene style Felpro gaskets. Studs are nice, and keep things lined up, if you want to pay the extra for them.
    agreed, never had an issue with neoprene
    down to two eyes

seller of the FIRST 4-eye in Modified Mustangs Magazine!

I have some felpro gaskets I dont know what they are called but they are a blue rubbery kind with a metal part in the middle and stops around the bolts. they are very nice I dont use any adhesive. I also have valve cover studs and they are good too they help line up the valvecover and gasket when putting them on so they dont move also its harder to break a stud then a screw i recommend these also.

I use nothing but the Ford gaskets for the 99ish Explorer. They are a metal gasket with a bonded o-ring. They work very well, and are reusable.

Ive found that Ford gaskets are very high in quality.

Fel-Pro always
    **Life is a web woven by necessity and chance**

1982 GT BLK/BLK w/ sunroof
    1985 GT Vert
    1986 LX Hatch
    1993 LX Vert

FEP Senior Member

Default studs

I use a variety of gaskets and v/c .I use threaded rod for my studs. In alum heads i super glue them in so you don't have steel cutting new threads every time you adjust the valves. same for the carb intake.
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post
    I use nothing but the Ford gaskets for the 99ish Explorer. They are a metal gasket with a bonded o-ring. They work very well, and are reusable.

Ive found that Ford gaskets are very high in quality.

Those are the same gaskets I use. I wouldn't use anything else.

Delos
    Delos

1991 Mustang GT Convertible 347

1985 Capri RS 5.0/5speed

2005 Expedition Limited

Quote Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI View Post
    +1, love these.
    86 GT with some go fast parts