Close

Default 351W Intake Manifolds

I have a question for those of you running 351 windsors in your cars - what intake manifolds are you using?

I recently picked up a 351HO from an 87' bronco and I want to replace the stock 4bbl intake before I transplant the engine into my 87' mercury grand marquis. Since the car is on the heavy side I want something with a good powerband from idle or 1000rpm on up. There are always a ton of deals on eBay for older edelbrock performer manifolds but I can't find much information on them. Another choice is the weiand stealth which I am leaning towards but much harder to find. I am looking for something I can pickup used without paying an arm and a leg.
    -Matt
    2003 Focus SVT
    1968 Fairlane 500

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

If you really want a powerband \torque starting anywhere from idle to 1,000 rpm; please stick with the stocker or an old Performer. Clean it up & gasket match it if you like for a little more mid-range "ooompf".......IMHO
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

I have a Performer RPM on my 351W and it works really well IMO! Great low end torque, and it works well right up through the RPM range up to 6000.
    '83 GT, Black, T-Tops, Leather, Built 351W (FEPFER August '09)
    '03 SVT Cobra, DSG, 2.8 Kenne Bell Mammoth, 643 RWHP 621 RW torque

stock-mild cam w/ stock heads use a low rise intack. mild cam and performance heads use a high rise 180*. performance cam and heads use a hight rise 360*
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

what di you mean 180* and 360*? for my 351w build i plan on a victor jr. intake, if it clears the pace car scoop, i would also like to use the stock duel snorkel air cleaner but i know its a long shot

~Mark~
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

I guess I should add a little more to what I am looking for...

I have a pair of GT40 heads to run on the engine and I want to find a mild street/strip cam - the car isn't going to be a daily driver but I want to cruise around in it from time to time. I figure idle/1000rpm on up would be best for such a heavy car without requiring some major gearing to get any off the line acceleration, I have 3.27s now but may upgrade to 3.55s.
    -Matt
    2003 Focus SVT
    1968 Fairlane 500

nitroracer YGPM

~Mark~
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

FEP Super Member

doesn't that car have EFI ? why not convert it to mass ? with a truck lower , and 302 upper , he should be good .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by 82mustang View Post
    what di you mean 180* and 360*? for my 351w build i plan on a victor jr. intake, if it clears the pace car scoop, i would also like to use the stock duel snorkel air cleaner but i know its a long shot

~Mark~
    Good luck with that. I have a vic jr and it's a pretty tall intake.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

I have a older styler performer and a 600 Edelbrock carb, I'd like to go to a different intake when I redo the engine but was told this one is a good intake. The newer ones have smaller runners than the older style.

I had a Pro Products typhoon but wouldn't fit under the hood w/o going to a drop mount.

Dual plane Performer RPM or Air Gap will work fine. The Air Gap has longer runners for a little extra torque. The "air gap" part is a bunch of silliness but it is a good intake.
    82GT street car: pump gas (9.8 to 1) 408W, C4, 8.8 with 3.55's: 10.70 at 126 on pump gas and drag radials

Quote Originally Posted by 82mustang View Post

~Mark~
    180* is splits into in 2 plart where 4cyls will see on side of the intake and the remaining 4cyls will see the other side. 360* is an open plenum.

A victor jr will not clear and is only useful above a minimum 3500 rpm (more like 5500rpm-7800rpm). I have a vic Jr and drop mounts and it sits about 3" above the hood with the proper sized air cleaner. Use a 180* (performer, performer RPM). Loose the snorkel it only good for at best a mild 302
    Last edited by Mad Max; 05-16-2007 at 10:28 PM.
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

It is currently an EFI car but I want to build a carbed engine for it. Truck lower and car upper don't bolt together without an adapter and still doesnt fit under the hood. Then comes the problem of finding a computer to run it, because there isn't one. Carbed will be fine for this car because its not going to be daily driven.

And it looks like a plain old performer will fit the bill. Thanks guys.
    -Matt
    2003 Focus SVT
    1968 Fairlane 500

gtluke

i have the TFS george forman grille
    its awesome, best one on the market. but i had to mill it to make it fit under a 2.5" cowl hood, even with drop solid motor mounts

I have a 68 Mustang Fastback with a 351W, I put a Edelbrock Air Gap intake on it, made a huge difference, I am vert happy with it. The intake is tall so you may need to modify the hood.

You dont really need to worry about "hurting torque" with a too big of an intake when swapping a windsor into a 302's spot. The windsor will have more torque than the 302 reguardless of the intake manifold.

For whats concerning you, a weiand stealth or an Elelbrock performer RPM sounds about what you're after. Just be prepared to install a hood scoop or cowl hood to fit it. With a windsor its very tough to install one in a fox body without hood clearance issues.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI