Close

Default 1980 Mercury Capri RS 2.3

Hey guys, I have an opportunity to pick up a 1980 Mercury Capri RS 2.3 4cyl car. The owner says it's N/A 4cyl. Did all Capri RS 4 cylinders come as a turbo 4cyl. or could you get an N/A 4 cyl. car optioned factory? I'm not up on my 4cyl turbo cars LOL! Thanks for any help.

John
    John McBride

Midnite Octane - "Fuel Your Imagination!"
    www.midniteoctane.com

back in 80, all engines were on the menu for the RS.
    1985 Mercury Motorsport Capri Registry
    Official Pace Car of the Mercury Motor City 100 - Grand Prix IV

www.Motorsportcapri.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1985 Motorsport Capri View Post
    back in 80, all engines were on the menu for the RS.
    +1

It wasn't until 1983 that the engine selection was tied to the RS trim level.

Thanks guys. I checked around on the internet before coming back here and you guys are right. I had an 81 GS T-Top car that had the weezy 4.2 V8 and an auto in it, there's the 2.3 turbo, 2.3 N/A, and the 6cyl.

I'm going to see the car probably one weeknight this week. I'm hoping it's not too far gone to save but I'm grabbing it to redo it. It's a 1980 RS 4speed 4cylinder car. No t-top, no sunroof, all original throughout, no rust, no dents, and is red on red. The guy told me that right before the 4 banger blew, the A/C still blew ice cold. I'm gonna see if I can build this one on a budget unlike my 85 Notch. I just need to get the wifey to warm up to the idea of a 3rd fox body!
    I told her that it's a car that will bring back memories of my 1st car - A 1981 Capri RS sunroof car. Black on red. My old 81 RS started life as a turbo 4 automatic car and the previous owner swapped in a 2.8 V6. I then swapped out the dying automatic and put in a 4 speed behind the V6 - converted it to stick. I had that car for 4 years and still miss it sometimes.
    John McBride

Midnite Octane - "Fuel Your Imagination!"
    www.midniteoctane.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGMachine View Post
    Thanks guys. I checked around on the internet before coming back here and you guys are right.
    Look in my sig. The only place you needed to go to is there.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGMachine View Post
    Thanks guys. I checked around on the internet before coming back here and you guys are right. I had an 81 GS T-Top car that had the weezy 4.2 V8 and an auto in it, there's the 2.3 turbo, 2.3 N/A, and the 6cyl.

I'm going to see the car probably one weeknight this week. I'm hoping it's not too far gone to save but I'm grabbing it to redo it. It's a 1980 RS 4speed 4cylinder car. No t-top, no sunroof, all original throughout, no rust, no dents, and is red on red. The guy told me that right before the 4 banger blew, the A/C still blew ice cold. I'm gonna see if I can build this one on a budget unlike my 85 Notch. I just need to get the wifey to warm up to the idea of a 3rd fox body!
    I told her that it's a car that will bring back memories of my 1st car - A 1981 Capri RS sunroof car. Black on red. My old 81 RS started life as a turbo 4 automatic car and the previous owner swapped in a 2.8 V6. I then swapped out the dying automatic and put in a 4 speed behind the V6 - converted it to stick. I had that car for 4 years and still miss it sometimes.
    I'm sorry to say it (since you seem kind of excited about it), but this sounds like the car I bought tonight. Listed on craigslist for $250 in Alto, GA? Red on red with black louvers on the rear window and a blown 4 cyl. I went to look at the car yesterday (Monday) afternoon and bought it on the spot. Going to pick it up later this week. The car is straight as an arrow and 100% rust free, and is totally original and complete down to the original spare tire in the back and owners manual in the glove box. Guy told me the A/C was so cold last time it ran it would blow frost out of the vents, so yea, sounds like the same car... It's going to a good home... I plan to clean it up, have it repainted the original color, and drop a 3.0 V6 from a wrecked Ranger in it and use it as a nice little daily driver that gets good gas mileage since my current car (a Fiat Spider with a 306 pushing 350 hp) is killing me with these gas prices. I have a nice set of 4 lug Cobra R wheels in the garage screaming to be put on something, also.
    Last edited by 80 Capri; 05-15-2007 at 01:24 AM.

Pardon my ongoing ignorance and laziness, but what does the "N/A" stand for?
    Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

Quote Originally Posted by 75coug View Post
    Pardon my ongoing ignorance and laziness, but what does the "N/A" stand for?
    Normally Aspirated = No Turbo