Close

Default help me work out my parts combo...what do I need?

I'll be getting a dyno run soon to help show what I need, but a lot of you have my same combo, or similar and get GREAT times.

I constantly read about the low 14 second bone stock fox's, and I'm getting those times with a LOT of mods. Last night my buddy with a bone stock notch with 4.10's and drag suspension tied me every bit of the way....

so although I'm close to 14 flat/ late 13's, I don't feel that's good enough compared to what a lot of "stock" stangs have done.

last night I got a 14.9 with a best 60' of 2.44 this is at elevation, so corrected it's about a 14.5. my mph was 95, which should be higher I guess if I wasn't at elevation. I have MASSIVE wheel hop and tire spin, and I'm going to be working on fixing all that this week (stiffer shocks, air bag in the spring, and quad shocks.. I have none right now) and buying sticky tires.

so the suspension work will no doubt get me down to a mid 14, maybe lower, corrected to 14 flat maybe a little better, but I feel I should be deep in the 13's.

When I raced the stock notch last night, once we got out of the hole, I didn't gain on him the entire quarter, and I fully expected to chase him down because of my mods...so this tells me my upper end is severly killing me, which I suspected. I have monster torque and low end power like never b4 with this animal, enough to feel like a low 13 second car, but then once it hits close to 4g's, the power starts tapering off.

mods are as follows:

bone stock fuel pump, 97 explorer motor with gt40p heads, a ported explorer intake (not too heavily ported, just cleaned up a bit) 1.7 roller rockers, SPEED DENSITY, HO MUSTANG cam/tfs valve springs, frpp headers, stock 19# explorer injectors,cat back flowmaster with stock 4 catted h pipe, u/d pullies, 65mm t/b and that's about it for power mods....i've got mm knock off lower control arms, frpp uppers and 3.73 gears.

I can't afford to start throwing money at all kinds of stuff that may or may not work.

i've heard I'm at the limits for the stock in tank pump, i've also heard I may get a lot of high end power from just swapping to speed density, but of course you've got the other side saying speed density is fine. I do plan on swapping to a tfs 1 cam soon, but I still think I've got a lot more power to be had with this HO cam, do I need 24 pound injectors??

what all have you run with similar parts as myself and gotten the best results?

oh yea, the car is a heavy vert

for comparison, my bro has an 86 ttop with a 96 gt40 explorer motor, and his only differences over my motor is he has a tfs 1 cam and a magnaflow x. He also has et street tires, and got a 14.4 last night, corrected to 14 flat or so. this is a VERY ****ty track, and it's hard to get good times there.

he has a best of 8.7 in the 1/8th, which is good for mid 13's right? His car is a bit faster, obviously, but I feel there is a lot of improvement to be had there also.
    Last edited by v8only; 05-13-2007 at 12:55 PM.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

FEP Super Member

Fuel pump, TFS cam and where is your timing? Whats the AFR at? What RPM are you shifting the car?

You should be faster.

Rich ran a 14.8 at 6k feet with 3.08s, cobra intake, full exhaust and 15 degrees of timing.

If you could get a 2.0 60ft that last run would of been a 14.3-14.4

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

I "think" timing is at 14/15, I'll def have to recheck that.

I'm shifting close to 6k, probably right after 5500 or so afr?? how do I tell that, from a dyno?
    Jeremy
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg

FEP Super Member

To get proper AFR you will either need to see the guys at the dyno or invest in a good wide band AFR gauge.

It sounds like the car is down in hp a little bit and obvliously your 6oft times are killing you.

Man I wish you guys where closer to me I want to come out and have fun.

First thing I would do is get a proper AFR reading on the car. This way you can find out of your tune is on or off. Then get a set of DRs and work on those 60fts. I think the car has more in it. I dont see a problem with it running uncorected low 14s with your current combo.

Maybe you and your brother could go in on a LM1 to get good AFR readings.

Just for comparison sake. All uncorectd at 6k feet.

My 86 lx.

Stock long block, 87+ intake and throttlebody, stock headers, 2/1 exhaust, no muffs high flow cats ran 15.1s at right around 90mph. The car had M/T 255/50/16 DRs on it launching at 5k. The 3.08s would cause the car to bog down but it was still getting 1.9? 60fts. I was running as mnuch timing as the car would take without detonating.

My 87 GT.

Edlebrock performer heads, intake, 70mm t-body, 1.7s, 19lb squirters, 255 pump, adj afpr, flowtech shorty headers, non cat h-pipe, dynomax 2/1 cat back, 3.73s, speed density stock 190k short block. 14.2s @ 94 mph with pretty crappy 2.1 60fts.

Your almost there and now is the fun part. Learning to tune and drive the car.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Hmmm, perhaps a change to MAF might help. I have the parts to do it but was going to keep the SD. I am wondering if your mods will respond better to MAF?
    86 GT with some go fast parts

that's what a lot of people have said here, that their explorer motor worked better with maf....i've got all the stuff to do it too, I've just been lazy...guess now is the time to upgrade and test eh?
    Jeremy

I get my tranny from the shop tommorrow and my motor is complete. By June 1, they should be installed. I have decided to go ahead a install the MAF with a BBK fenderwall intake. I am going wth a 76mm calibrated for 19/24's. It seems like you should be faster with your combo and maybe tuning with a MAF ECU will help. I'm installing an A9P, what do you have?
    86 GT with some go fast parts

"Insert rude comment about SD here"

1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectTommy View Post
    I get my tranny from the shop tommorrow and my motor is complete. By June 1, they should be installed. I have decided to go ahead a install the MAF with a BBK fenderwall intake. I am going wth a 76mm calibrated for 19/24's. It seems like you should be faster with your combo and maybe tuning with a MAF ECU will help. I'm installing an A9P, what do you have?
    right now an 87 speed density computer, but the mass air computer I have waiting is an a9t
    Jeremy

My 90 L.X. With bolt- ons went 14.0 @ 99 in the 1/4 years ago. Had 3.08 gears to boot on stock street tires. It also had a Saleen / Vortec intake, 24lb injectors, 65mm TB, 75mm Mass air meter and a cone filter,U.D. Pulleys and a complete exhaust. You need to walk it out of the hole and shift it at 5500. Anything over and it will slow you down. Crank the timing to 14* and leave off idle.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

You should be shifting at @53-5500 anything above will drastically slow you down. Sticky tires are a must. 95MPH shows your car is capable of mid 13s so its just a matter of putting the power to the ground. Spinnin aint winnin. You also dont mention what transmission you are running. If its a T-5 are you shifting fast enough tro keep the revs up?

FEP Member

im running 13.20's with my stock p heads, theyre not limiting you. mass air will help alot anong with a tune. check compression and all that good stuff so you know what youre working with. times are way off. work on your 60' too.
    92GT, 358, ci cam, 11:1, canfield 195's

Have you weighed the car? Verts are heavy.Also a 2.44 60' is garbage, get it down to 2.0( or better) and you'll see 13's all day.
    408 C.I.-Sleeper

I would love to weight it, but i'm not sure where...maybe the local dump would weigh me?
    Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
    I would love to weight it, but i'm not sure where...maybe the local dump would weigh me?
    There should be a drive on scale at your local track.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

crap, I didn't even think about it when I was there sat
    Jeremy

maybe it's the weight and bad DA for those runs?

My 86 ran 14.29@96 mph with:

87 upper intake and TB
    Underdrives
    Black Magic fan
    Griffon radiator
    4.10 gears
    UPR Pro rear lower control arms
    Drag Radials (Weren't needed)
    Stainless shorty headers
    off road H pipe

Stock AOD

Car weighed 3150 with me and half tank of gas

made some good progress tonight, replaced pass spring with a newer stock one, put on a kyb shock that's easily 4 times stiffer than the crap that came out, and put an airlift airbag in the pass spring, and located my quads that are going back in. by tomorrow night my suspension in the rear will be all buttoned up and ready for another run, and likely thur night I'll pull the dash off and fix some electrical gremlins, replace with a better dash, swap out the steering column and steering wheel, and upgrade the harness to mass air while i'm in there......I'll be ready with no excuses next time
    Jeremy

here's a thought. next time when your at the track, back your timing down some. it'll take away some bottom end and help with your traction issues.
    "I'm a mental patient, I'm suppose to act out!"

the scale at Palmdale is just after the time slip booth on the left. You drive up onto it and then weigh your car.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.