Close

Thread: A/C Issues

FEP Member

Default A/C Issues

Hey everyone..

When i got my car, i recharged the a/c, vacuumed it down and everything, because its what i thought was wrong with it... turns out the Low pressure switch was sticking -tapped it with a screwdriver, and its worked fine since, other than the occasional stick, which is easily remedied. Well, i was driving to a fam dinner out in the country, and noticed that the a/c wasnt cooling very well... I cycled it on and off, and it started cooling again. I wound up doing it a few times over a 30 min drive, and then on my way home, it wouldnt cool at all.

I pulled over, tapped the switch - no good. jumped it, no good there either. I decided to tough it out, and about 20 mins down the road, it started working again. when i got home, i cut off the car, and when i went back out, the a/c still wouldnt work.

Do any of you have any suggestions or thoughts"? Im gonna put some gauges on it to see if its low on freon, or building too much head pressure. Is there anything else i can do?

TIA
    86 GT... 3.73's, elec fan, underdrive pulley, Bassani E/L Ceramic Coated Headers, Pypes Catted X, and Magnaflow Catback, MGW Shifter.
    5 Lug Conv, with cobra binders, TownCar MC, SN95 Booster
    H&R Race Fronts, Steeda 350# Rear Springs, MM CC plates, Tokico Illuminas, and a Steeda 5-Link-2
    Sounds:
    Image Dynamics IDQ 10.2 in a sealed enclosure with a RF Punch 201S amp

FEP Power Member

So - are you saying you jumped the cycle switch on top of the dryer in the engine compartment ? If not, you need to jump it (I use a paper clip) to engage the compressor to make sure she is drawing the freon.

Jason

FEP Member

thats exactly what i did... no good. the engine acted like it was loading, but the compressor clutch never locked in. Does that make sense?
    86 GT... 3.73's, elec fan, underdrive pulley, Bassani E/L Ceramic Coated Headers, Pypes Catted X, and Magnaflow Catback, MGW Shifter.
    5 Lug Conv, with cobra binders, TownCar MC, SN95 Booster
    H&R Race Fronts, Steeda 350# Rear Springs, MM CC plates, Tokico Illuminas, and a Steeda 5-Link-2
    Sounds:
    Image Dynamics IDQ 10.2 in a sealed enclosure with a RF Punch 201S amp

FEP User

Put some gauges on it! You should it build about 250 head (red side)and then comp will shut off until the low side reaches about 30 then kick back on. The switch usually is a bianary switch (high and low pressure switch). Make sure when you check your ac system you want your controls set on fresh air (some have a recirculating switch) and on Max with the engine reving about 1200 rpm. When your head reaches about 250 your low side run about 110 and if working right should cycle on/off every 30 seconds or so. But Cant really tell you what the problem maybe without knowing the head pressures your running!