Close

Default 91 Crown Vic 5.0L

Just a quick question guys, will a 91 crown vic 5.0 engine fit in a 85 and run well without any modifications?
    -Kal
    "One man can make a difference." -Wilton Knight
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Women are like cars, sometimes you find one you fall in love with, and sometimes you end up with a lemon.

i'm sure somebody will chime in, but, i happened to have a 91 crown vic 5.0 in my building and it looks alot different than my 88 5.0, first off the plenum is facing the opposite way, and the pulleys on the front of the engine seem all different, not saying it won't work though. but there are definately some differances, also the motor mounts are completely different looking also
    1988gt hiding in a 90lx
    1985 capri gs 5.0-
    3 88lx parts cars
    89gt parts car
    [U]2 95intrepid-1parts,1daily driver
    www.mustangcanada.com

Shoot, ok. I came across one on craigslist for $200 complete and I was hopeing it would work. I don't plan on keeping the EFI so a computer wouldn't be a problem, engine configuration is. I wanted a 302 that I can just throw in there and I wouldn't have to do a lot of modifying to. Right now there is nothing, not even a tranny. So would a 302 out of a stang and not one out of a crown vic or a bronco/truck be the best solution to my problem?
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Women are like cars, sometimes you find one you fall in love with, and sometimes you end up with a lemon.

i'm not saying that it won't work, i'm just saying that there are noticeable differances just looking at them anyways. the changes needed may be simple. but yes another mustang motor would definately be alot easier. i'm sure someone will "chime" in here shortly and give you a better answer.
    1988gt hiding in a 90lx
    1985 capri gs 5.0-
    3 88lx parts cars
    89gt parts car
    [U]2 95intrepid-1parts,1daily driver
    www.mustangcanada.com

Thanks man, I appreciate your help.
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

The Crown Vic longblock motors use E6 heads, cast pistons, and a milder roller cam than the HO cam. Ignition firing order is also different with this particular cam. The longblock will work, but it's not a performance engine. You can swap out the cam for an HO cam and swap the plug wire locations to have the correct firing order for the HO cam.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

since you are not going efi. all you should have to do is swap your carb and intake setup onto it. swap on some mustang motor mounts and that really should be it. now this isn't taking into consideration the flywheel, flexplate, bell housing etc. however a 302 is a 302. what you can do to one, you can do to another. this engine, as stated before isn't the highest performing 302 but it can be made to work. a mustang 302 would be an easier, better performing path to v-8 fun though.
    79 302 cobra project

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE82 View Post
    since you are not going efi. all you should have to do is swap your carb and intake setup onto it. swap on some mustang motor mounts and that really should be it. now this isn't taking into consideration the flywheel, flexplate, bell housing etc. however a 302 is a 302. what you can do to one, you can do to another. this engine, as stated before isn't the highest performing 302 but it can be made to work. a mustang 302 would be an easier, better performing path to v-8 fun though.
    I think you guys have a point. I just may look for a stang motor, I might even be able to find the matching t-5 tranny. The only thing is around here, from my experience, it's hard to find a stang motor, especially if you are on a budget. crown vic's and bronco/f-150 motors are easier and cheaper to find. I just don't want the headache of trying to make it work where it wasn't intended to be. There again having a HO wouldn't be a bad thing either
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

I just came across a 88 HO engine out of a stang complete with the puter out of a stang for $450 OBO in washington. Is that a good thing? I also just came across one for $200 out of a 94-95 with the 5.0 .
    Last edited by Shadow 1; 05-09-2007 at 02:42 PM.
    -Kal
    84 Mustang T-Top
    THE WRAITH

Don't forget about the early V8 Explorer motors with the GT-40 heads. Can't remember when they first started putting the 5.0 in the Explorers, but up to 1996 1/2, they had the GT-40 iron heads. After that, Ford installed the GT-40P heads, which would require different headers and ditching your EGR system and air injection at the back of the heads.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/