Close

Default I might be retarded

My cam that is. I recently read an article in fordmuscle about how they installed a cam on a 460 that they thought was "straight up" but ended up being way off the centerline. I think I may have this problem. They said tell tale signs are not alot of low end power, more up top, and a very hot lower intake manifold. My car seems to have these problems too. I have the Ford Racing E303 cam and when I installed it I just lined up the two marks on the crankshaft and cam gears and reused the stock chain/gears and did not degree the cam with a degreeing wheel. Has anyone else had this problem before?
    '83 T Top 306

What was your old and new cam specs?

I had the same problem when I installed a new cam. The problem with mine is that it needed a higher stall converter and the intake wasn't sealed tight to the heads.
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

I only read the non subscription part of that article and didnt get the exact, "how far it was out" specs. When I degreed the cam on my mach 1 I found that the Summit Racing timing chain was off by -3deg on all three keyways. After I fixed it there was zero bit of difference in the seat of the pants-o-meter.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI