Close

FEP Senior Member At1Maverick69's Avatar

Default T5 conversion and various questions.

The RS is currently undergoing major surgery, to be more specific, it's getting a T5 and an 8.8 rearend. While still neck deep in this project, I have few thing I need help with:
    *I have a double hump crossmember from my previous 90 GT, i was trying to put it on and it seems like its putting the tranny high enough to hit the floor board, is the problem the member, or the trans itself which is out of an 89 GT?

* The T5 seems to be a tad futher forward than the SROD judging from the floorboard hole, did any of you guys who converted had to make the hole larger?

* I also have the stock "headers" from the 90, would this work if I was to take off the flapper valve on the driver side manifold?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys!
    *John*
    1982 GT-$old
    1984 Mercury Capri RS-5.0L, 5 speed, T-Tops-FOR SALE
    1979 Coupe-357ci, auto? stick? COMING SOON
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/At1Maverick

In 1983 they changed the "hump" on the tranny tunnel to accomidate the T5.
    When I installed the T5 in my old 82 capri RS I did have to trim a bit of the tunnel to make the shifter fit.
    Matt

1985 Cougar XR-7 5 speed manual.

you'll have to trim the hole a little. as for the "headers" they should fit fine. I used some off a buddy's 89 on my 84 with no problems. I assume you are putting on an h-pipe for a 86 to 93 then?
    "I'm a mental patient, I'm suppose to act out!"

FEP Senior Member At1Maverick69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by embler View Post
    you'll have to trim the hole a little. as for the "headers" they should fit fine. I used some off a buddy's 89 on my 84 with no problems. I assume you are putting on an h-pipe for a 86 to 93 then?
    Is that something I'm gonna need to do? Wouldn't the stock y pipe work? I was thinking, for now while I attempt to put the correct converters on an O/R H-pipe, instead of the 3way cats that might get plugged up.
    *John*
    1982 GT-$old
    1984 Mercury Capri RS-5.0L, 5 speed, T-Tops-FOR SALE
    1979 Coupe-357ci, auto? stick? COMING SOON
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/At1Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by At1Maverick69 View Post
    The RS is currently undergoing major surgery, to be more specific, it's getting a T5 and an 8.8 rearend. While still neck deep in this project, I have few thing I need help with:
    *I have a double hump crossmember from my previous 90 GT, i was trying to put it on and it seems like its putting the tranny high enough to hit the floor board, is the problem the member, or the trans itself which is out of an 89 GT?

* The T5 seems to be a tad futher forward than the SROD judging from the floorboard hole, did any of you guys who converted had to make the hole larger?

* I also have the stock "headers" from the 90, would this work if I was to take off the flapper valve on the driver side manifold?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys!
    I have an '82 GT and had a '82 Capri too:

The T5 will fit, but you might need to trim the hole or just massage it enough to clear the top of the tranny. I made some relief cuts and opened the hole more by pulling up on the sheetmetal..

The crossmember will work, but I had to grind the welds on thebushing tubes so i could slide it back and forth (on the crossmember!). Once the tranny was in the car, I just had to adjust them to the correct place, then had them spot welded back up.

The headers will just fine if you use the corresponding '86-93 H-pipe. i had the full exhaust off an '86 and it went in with no drama.
    1986 SVO: turbo'd fun!
    SOLD:'82 MUSTANG GT: 88' HO, 5-spd, 3.73s, & 17" Borbet Type-A wheels... and other goodies
    RIP: '82 Mecury Capri 5.0 : good times.....
    1969 Chevrolet Chevelle: "the other four eye"