Close

FEP Member

Default valve shim help......

hey all, i was changing the seals on my gt40p's and noticed my spring shims were kind of sharp and worn. i used the trick flow valve spring upgrade kit from summit. i figure i better change these out real soon before bad stuff goes down. can anyone reccomend a tough shim, and also what size i.d. and o.d. shim will i need ? thanks fellas............
    92GT, 358, ci cam, 11:1, canfield 195's

Go down to your local machine shop,they should have V.S.I. valve spring shims. V.S.I. makes the shims. They also make hardened shims for performance applications. For the small block Fords the part numbers are A103-.060, B103-.030, C103-.015. The hardened shims will have the same part number but add a H.P. At the end of the number. The hardened shims will come blue in color.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

Each spring needs to be tested to figure out which shim is required for it. Without doing that you will never know if you have the right seat pressure. Here is one such machine/tool used for testing:

Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Member

ok thanks, i have a spring height gauge, that wasnt my question.
    92GT, 358, ci cam, 11:1, canfield 195's