Close

FEP Member

Default T5 experts, come in.....

well i rebuilt my tranny last fall with the motorsport kit, everything has been flawless until it started to get warm around here. when my car gets hot sometimes upon take off i will get a whisp of bearing noise or something, the noise will only last a second or two, im sure alot of you have herd a t5make this noise before, i have, but it drives me crazy when things are not perfect. i pulled the motor and tranny this winter and when i was out i reshimmed the input bearing to clean up some of the initial seat in, but like i said everything has been perfect until today. in fact i just took it out to the store and couldnt make the noise, but i know something is going on. im thinking input roller bearing, torrington bearing, or a possible re shim. any input...?
    92GT, 358, ci cam, 11:1, canfield 195's

FEP Member

took my shifter off cleaned it, and greased it and laid a small bead of silicone down and let it set up before i put the shifter on to give it some cushin so it didnt squeeze out and put a strip of dense rubber between my shifter handle and base and re adjusted my stops and it sounds factory quiet now...thank god because i dont have the money for tranny repairs right now. might be a good idea to check your stops and clean and grease the shifter base once in a while, youd be suprised how much quieter it will be.

FEP Member

oh forgot to mention im using a b&m ripper and the noise i was hearing was resonating up through the shifter handle.

Its hard to diagnose a symptom like you explained in your first post. Especially after a full rebuild of a butload of parts. I'm glad to hear you figured it out.

I had a neighbor who had the B&M shifter but never had the bushing installed in the ball socket of the shift selector. You could move the handle in a pretty good circle before it did anything. After I explained the problem to him and he fixed it, he said it was like having a brand new tranny as it shifted so much better.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI