17. You may not vote on this poll
  • alone me and the car only

6 35.29%
  • With one or more buds

11 64.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Go alone ?

Question Go alone ?

Most of the time i go to the track by myself which makes it a pain when it gets dark to do anything one person wise. My question is how many of you go alone or how many go with others??
    83' capri ~ 306ci
    speedpro LW hyperpistons
    Lightly ported Gt40s milled 040/ 3 angle valve, TFS springs
    E303/ 1.7 RR
    Rpm intake
    holley 650 dp
    BBK headers~ H pipe~ flows
    373's
    C4 and other drag tricks of the trade.

How far is it to the track?
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

FEP Member

i prefer to go alone, i stay more focused. my best times have been alone.
    92GT, 358, ci cam, 11:1, canfield 195's

Quote Originally Posted by 85GT2NV View Post
    i prefer to go alone, i stay more focused. my best times have been alone.
    How can buds affect times
    83' capri ~ 306ci
    speedpro LW hyperpistons
    E303/ 1.7 RR
    Rpm intake
    holley 650 dp
    373's

FEP Member

well, i get anxiety between all the smack talking and people watching me.
    92GT, 358, ci cam, 11:1, canfield 195's

FEP Super Member

I ususally only race during Club clash with the local mustang club so we have like 16 cars and plenty of tools and help.

When I race on Ford day I pit with my bud and showcase the car for his business.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

I go alone most of the time. my wife went with me this past time as we had someone to watch the kids for us. she taped my runs and after seeing how slow I was compared to the others, gave me the greenlight to do some more mods, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 1983mercurycapri 302 View Post
    How can buds affect times
    When nobody sees it you can always make up a faster time. LOL JK.

I always try to have at least a couple of people at the track, I need all the help between rounds I can get.

I've gone alone many times. And many times with friends. I usually go for weekends and there is always someone I know there anyways. I like going alone or with just my brother. It is less confusing and peaceful. Plus we can enjoy our time together as we both have families and don't see each other very often. Sometimes going with friends can really help out. I broke an axle once on my first pass. Wondering how to get home for a 2 1/2 hour trip. My brother and buddies rounded me up a used axle and some jack stands while I was jacking up the car. They helped me swap it out and I later went 4 rounds and drove it home. That was quite a day. Without them I would have just called a wrecker.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

I generally try to make sure I have another person with me or meeting me there. It seems that every time I go alone, I break something big. Luckily, the track is only 35 miles away. Close enough that I can run back home for parts or something and not kill the whole day doing so.
    86 GT 363 w/80mm turbo-currently under construction
    19 F-150 Lariat Supercrew-DD

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

I go alone with a cell to call in the troops if necissary...... Friends are very noncommital when it comes to going to the track; the exact opposite of my style IMHO....
    Last edited by anthonydalrymple; 05-07-2007 at 08:32 PM.
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

I always go alone and always see people at the track. Normally, I get involved in helping someone else get more out of their Mustang; I get a lot of enjoyment from that. I find that if my car is running well, I don't really feel compelled to make a lot of passes.

It might be interesting to note how far people must go to get to a track. I have two tracks the same distance from my home -about 25 minutes.
    82GT street car: pump gas (9.8 to 1) 408W, C4, 8.8 with 3.55's: 10.70 at 126 on pump gas and drag radials

45min drive i through a few hicktowns and long contry roads. Last time i went i ran into a guy who help me set the ide mixture on my carb. then i meet a SRT4 driver who i mostly talked with never raced him (did not want to lose to a 4cly srt) older guy very nice to talk to. Next time i plan on having a friend follow me their with extra tools ect.. in his car
    83' capri ~ 306ci
    speedpro LW hyperpistons
    E303/ 1.7 RR
    Rpm intake
    holley 650 dp
    373's

i've only gone once as a pit man for my auto shop teacher and his low 9sec front engine dragster..the good track is 2.5 hours away and an OK one is 2 hours..i wish it was closer, if i break something i'm screwed..

Mark
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

When I run street type car I go alone,but end up seeing alot of the same guys I street race with.When I run the race car my brother comes to help get it ready between rounds.
    Worlds fastest 357 c.i.d.,1983 Crimson Cat,Mercury Capri RS with one Holley Dominator,One nitrous system,Turbo 400,Nine inch,All steel and glass,except hood,95% stock floor,Almost all stock interior(8.31 166)Under Reconstruction! 25.5 Complete now!

1978 Ford Fairmont Stationwagon,393 Windsor,OTMC,Turbo-350,8.8 31 spline axles,steel spool,C-Clip Elim,T/A cover,4.30 gear,MM Adj.Lowers,Baseline Pro-launch#2,Anti-roll bar,UPR K-member,A-arms,Coilover kit,Manual rack,Bumpsteer kit.Engine complete 648hp, 508lbft tq.93 octane N/A.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by embler View Post
    I go alone most of the time. my wife went with me this past time as we had someone to watch the kids for us. she taped my runs and after seeing how slow I was compared to the others, gave me the greenlight to do some more mods, lol.
    Now that's just sad!

Or were you holding back....?

Wink

Back in the day, I went with buddies. Now. I have been going alone, but there is usually someone I meet from another club that can help if needed. The joke in that though is that the last two times I went to a track I went with my club, had no intentions of racing, and the tracks closed due to heavy rains. Traveltime? 1 to 2 hours depending on the track.