Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

and this post may add to that:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showpost...7&postcount=46

Although I am betting he either doesn't remember or misspoke about being a 5speed....cause I thought the 5 speed came out in 83.

But if both these cars are sticks and the product book is right then you had to go with the NA 4cyl. This was probably due to the fact that they new people would still want a stick shift but the turbo option had been yanked at the last minute.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    and this post may add to that:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showpost...7&postcount=46

Although I am betting he either doesn't remember or misspoke about being a 5speed....cause I thought the 5 speed came out in 83.

-Mike
    But mine is a 5 sp too Mike. It is that weird transmission where overdrive is right next to 4th gear. Look at the picture of the shift knob in my gallery. That guy's car sounds like an identical drivetrain setup to this blue one.

Last edited by gregpro50; 04-25-2007 at 12:41 PM.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Well, ok then. I really don't remember much about the early cars.

I know when we've talked about other oddities...never discount anything Ford did. Not from red interior with black carpet to Canadian 85 GS cars with manual transmissions.

I'm betting if you got a salesman's guide from 1981, or better yet a rare dealer's ordering guide, you would see the breakout much clearer.

My question is that with the Cobra Package, did the v8/auto add more money since it was to be standard? If you opted for the NA 4cyl/manual, was it a credit like a radio delete option?

-Mike

I'm sure it was since the 255 V8 was a credit from the 4cyl turbo for '80. As I recall it was the same thing in '79. The V8 was actually less expensive than the turbo-4.

Maybe mine is just equipped with a rare and IMO, undesireable option. I mean who goes to the dealer and asks for a cobra package with a 4 cyl?
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    I'm sure it was since the 255 V8 was a credit from the 4cyl turbo for '80. As I recall it was the same thing in '79. The V8 was actually less expensive than the turbo-4.

Maybe mine is just equipped with a rare and IMO, undesireable option. I mean who goes to the dealer and asks for a cobra package with a 4 cyl?
    Well, Ford had the RS trim level for all engines until 1983.

Also, there is ALWAYS some weirdo who doesn't give a rats ass about a big engine or performance but wants the looks of the performance package. The 4cyl NA Cobra option would have been just the ticket.

-Mike

Could this car possibly be a Canadian Cobra? Is the ODO in KM's or MPH in larger text? After all NY state borders Canada! Also To my knowledge the 5-speed wasn't introduced untill 1983?
    '83 GT, Black, T-Tops, Leather, Built 351W (FEPFER August '09)
    '03 SVT Cobra, DSG, 2.8 Kenne Bell Mammoth, 643 RWHP 621 RW torque

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet'83 View Post
    Could this car possibly be a Canadian Cobra? Is the ODO in KM's or MPH in larger text? After all NY state borders Canada! Also To my knowledge the 5-speed wasn't introduced untill 1983?
    Nope, the 1FA in the VIN stands for Ford Motor Company, USA. Ford Motor Company of Canada is several different codes. My 1981 Powertrain factory service manual lists the tranny that Greg's car has and says it was in the Mustang and Capri.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet'83 View Post
    Like greg says, it's really a 5-speed with overdrive. It's not a a T-5 like a lot of us know and love.

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...ctsBook_11.jpg

That link above shows the 1981 Capri having a 5-speed manual with overdrive.

-Mike

No turbo emblem on the cowl hood and no turbo emblem on the dash panel so it appears to have been ordered that way. Greg, check the green dash light on the left side of the dash and see if it says turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by kj_80Cobra
    1FA in the VIN stands for Ford Motor Company, USA. Ford Motor Company of Canada is several different codes.
    The first three places in '81+ VINs are the Manufacturer Identifier. Ford did not produce Mustangs or Capris in Canada, so you will not find one with an identifier for the Country of Canada.

What you need to look at is the DSO (District Sales Office), and Greg's Cobra's DSO is 15, which is New York. If it had been sent to Canada for sale the DSO would have been A1 through A8 or B1 through B8.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-26-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kj_80Cobra View Post
    No turbo emblem on the cowl hood and no turbo emblem on the dash panel so it appears to have been ordered that way. Greg, check the green dash light on the left side of the dash and see if it says turbo.
    Nope. The green turbo light is built into the bezel just like any car of those years but there is no bulb behind it.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    The first three places in '81+ VINs are the Manufacturer Identifier. Ford did not produce Mustangs or Capris in Canada, so you will not find one with an identifier for the Country of Canada.
    My '81 Factory service manual lists world manufacturer identifier codes of
    2FA- Ford passenger car, 2ME- Mercury passenger car, 2FM- Ford MPV, 2FD- Ford incomplete vehicle, and 2MH- Mercury incomplete vehicle as all being for Ford Motor Company of Canada.

That's all well and good, but.....

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    Ford did not produce Mustangs or Capris in Canada, so you will not find one with an identifier for the Country of Canada.
    Ford of Canada did produce vehicles but none of them were Mustangs or Capris.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

The DSO is New York.
    The "S" on the bucktag is for Speed control/cruise. And I'd say that the V is for the Visibility/light group - but I'm not totally sure of that one, it's just a guess.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Default Search for a Cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    Pics of the door tag, buck tag, and emissions tag are in my gallery. If you click on them they will blow up real big.
    Can you tell me where this car ended up? I am interested in finding one to buy and I like the color combination.

Thanks, Richie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12