Close

FEP Member

Default TRACK UPDATE......

got it out with the mickeys today and ran a best of 13.31 @102 with a 1.800 60'. my 60' inproved grately...the mickeys are awsome, i mean awsome. i took 4 deg. of timing out and dropped my secondarys down a size and i lost 4mph compared to my previous runs two weeks ago. mabey these "P" heads like timing with my combo ? i was too lazy today to bring my timing light or jet kit plus it looked like it was gonig to unload some rain at any minute. next track day im going to creep my timing back up to verify things. i need my mph back to get the time i want. tuning skills are really comming into play right now. oh yah i think my other thread from two weeks ago is titled "new motor to track today" for all those curious to see where i have been.
    92GT, 358, ci cam, 11:1, canfield 195's

FEP Member

i want this thing at least 13 flat. i know its got it in her !

yeah it's got it you just got to keep at it. are set-up is so close. i think i was talking to you about that x-cellerator on corral not to long ago. keep at it man you will be their
    <<1985 mustang gt, 5 speed t-tops.
    The Objects In The Mirrors Are Losing.......

FEP Member

yah, you have chimed in on alot of my threads.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

If you were running 106 mph, you'll not only run 13 flats, you'll be in the 12's! Get that timing back to where it was and rejet the carb. I'm guessing that you'll be at around 12.70's 12.80's @ 106.

There's so many people out there who underestimate the value of good tires and traction. It's good to see that you've gotten the MT's. I have them too and wouldn't change a thing. Isn't it amazing, the amount of people who have 300+ horsepower and run mid 13's because they don't want to spend the money on tires?
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

FEP Member

[QUOTE=Hissing Cobra;484887]If you were running 106 mph, you'll not only run 13 flats, you'll be in the 12's! Get that timing back to where it was and rejet the carb. I'm guessing that you'll be at around 12.70's 12.80's @ 106.

right on ! thats the plan. the ol man said "give it timing" too, what i told him about the fast burn chamber and less total timing he said "b.s.". hes been racing sb fords since the 60's, but i do value everyones opinion though.
    Last edited by 85GT2NV; 04-15-2007 at 09:49 AM.

yeah i talked to your dad before (you are the son right) He really seemed to know what he was talking about when i talked to him. i see 12's in your future as well
    <<1985 mustang gt, 5 speed t-tops.
    The Objects In The Mirrors Are Losing.......

Good job man. Your MPH may have dropped due to having more traction. Play with tire pressure and launch RPM.Next try bumping your timing in 2 degree increments. Look for best MPH not E/T. MPH indicates Horsepower. Then work on carb jetting for best MPH again. Just make sure you only do one thing at a time. I see 12s in your near future.

FEP Member

thanks fellas, i love the encourgement...! i think i fiddle too much, i cant help myself...i only get to take this thing out of the garage every few weeks so when i do i play i play with everything all at once, i gotta stop that and focus on one thing at a time. my brother has a high dollar edelbrock buildup on his 92 and im knockin right on his door....so close, just a few tenths more !!!
    Last edited by 85GT2NV; 04-15-2007 at 09:34 PM.

LOL Just think how upset he will be when you are running with him with your low buck Junk parts.

[QUOTE=85GT2NV;484907]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    If you were running 106 mph, you'll not only run 13 flats, you'll be in the 12's! Get that timing back to where it was and rejet the carb. I'm guessing that you'll be at around 12.70's 12.80's @ 106.

right on ! thats the plan. the ol man said "give it timing" too, what i told him about the fast burn chamber and less total timing he said "b.s.". hes been racing sb fords since the 60's, but i do value everyones opinion though.

Its good to see that you picked up and if you keep at it Im sure you will go even faster.
    I must say though that the part about the fast burn chambers I must say that I cant agree . My friend that told me that has held NHRA records and has FS stock motors that have run 112MPH and have made over 300RWHP and keep in mind this is with a stock E6 cam and unported GT40P heads.
    On the other hand ,every combo is different so keep trying diferent things and your times wil keep droping
    Good luck
    John
    A bunch of 85gt's

FEP Member

mabey, but all im saying is i backed it and lost mph. real world theroy. i will keep all of you up to date as this progresses...love the support, you guys are so much better than corrall.
    Last edited by 85GT2NV; 04-15-2007 at 10:10 PM.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1kwik85 View Post
    LOL Just think how upset he will be when you are running with him with your low buck Junk parts.
    excatly, i got the junkyard explorer heads. i have heard it all allready.

Test and tune. I pulled timing out of my engine on the dyno and made power. My combo is drastically different than yours. But every car responds differently.

I've found that when going to the track, advice is all around you weather its good or bad. The real racers usually keep tuning secrets to themselves because they know all about the previous paragraph. Giving bad advice is worse than giving none at all.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

FEP Member

i think i gotta agree with todd schriebers response on one of my threads about how a track tune is superior to a dyno tune. i dont care how much hp im making just how fast the car is running. you cant duplicate real world conditions on a dyno, im not saying a dyno is worthless but really, what matters more, mph and et, or a sheet of paper with a number ? granted though you gotta know your car and know what your doing.

Quote Originally Posted by 85GT2NV View Post
    mabey, but all im saying is i backed it and lost mph. real world theroy. i will keep all of you up to date as this progresses...love the support, you guys are so much better than corrall.
    Yup and thats why i said every combo is different. Right now im putting a combo together for my son and it will be close to yours. i will share any results good or bad. i have the P heads now but I was hoping to get something better before it hit the track.
    back in the 80s I went 108mph on stock E7s with about the same combo im doing now so Im interested to see how it runs with the P heads(same carb,intake,cam).
    im trying to NOT spend alot of money but Im sure you know how that is.LOL
    A bunch of 85gt's