Close

FEP Member

Default NEW MOTOR TO TRACK TODAY.....

well, for all of you who followed my build this winter i finally got to take it out to play today. i ran it about ten times the best i could squeeze was a 13.4401 @ 105.36 with a pathedic 2.0491 60'. my jetting is a little off im sick of guessing im going to try to get a dyno pull to get a a/f reading soon, and i got my timing set 15 deg. initial, 40 deg. total @ 2900 rpm. i didnt play with my timing today either. i was doing this on my sorry kuhmo ecsta's 245/50/16, i also plan on some d/r's in the very near future. how much room for improvement do you guys think i have ? im hoping to get this combo into the at least 13.teens.
    Last edited by 85GT2NV; 03-31-2007 at 07:36 PM.
    92GT, 358, ci cam, 11:1, canfield 195's

sorry kuhmo ecsta's 245/50/16...
    I will agree with that there P'sOS pull timing out to like 32 or 36 ...do it on the dyno though ..

You have enough power for 12's right now. Traction tires are a must to get there though. I agree with trying less total advance. Running it leaner will net some power too, but don't go too lean. The best check on what's going-on in each chamber is pulling the plugs right after the pass.
    82GT street car: pump gas (9.8 to 1) 408W, C4, 8.8 with 3.55's: 10.70 at 126 on pump gas and drag radials

FEP Member

pull timing ? anyone want to explain this to me, i always thought to run as much as you can get away with without detonating. right now im running 70 and 80 jets...plugs seem to still look a little lean, like a light brown cresent halfway around the electrode and the rest white. im running motorcraft awsf42c's, i wonder if switching to a colder plug would change the effect of the jetting ?

I always ran around 36-38 degrees total timing on most street engines. Higher compression engines will want a bit less 30-34 or so. I would bring the timing light with you next time to the drags and experiment since its a new combo for you, you might find a couple tenths in it. You never know. With the 105 mph you have you just need some tires that hook and you're in the 12's with low 1.7 or high 1.6 60ft times.
    85 Mustang GT
    85 Mercury Capri

Quote Originally Posted by 85GT2NV View Post
    pull timing ? anyone want to explain this to me, i always thought to run as much as you can get away with without detonating. right now im running 70 and 80 jets...plugs seem to still look a little lean, like a light brown cresent halfway around the electrode and the rest white. im running motorcraft awsf42c's, i wonder if switching to a colder plug would change the effect of the jetting ?
    Yes, a colder plug will change your burn characteristics and will allow you to run a leaner mixture. Timing will affect A/F ratio too.

Just make one change at a time. Since you are running so much advance right now, I would suggest that you try 2* less total timing each pass until the acceleration rate slows (I suspect you will go quicker after the first or second decrease in total timing). Then you'll have a better idea of optimum timing. record all data. Once optimum timing is established, experiment with jetting. Please note that I wrote "acceleration rate" A slower 60 ft will produce a slower ET, but not necessarily a slower rate of acceleration. Look at your entire time slip: 60ft, 330ft, 1/8th mile, 1000ft, and especially mph in each of those categories. Trap speed is a more accurate reflection of power.
    Last edited by esoteric; 04-01-2007 at 11:34 AM.
    82GT street car: pump gas (9.8 to 1) 408W, C4, 8.8 with 3.55's: 10.70 at 126 on pump gas and drag radials

FEP Member

thanks for the replies, i think im going to try dropping the timing down to 12deg. initial @ 37 total and put some colder plugs in it and take it out and wail the piss out of it and see how it feels. stay tuned......

12.60s-70s seem reasonable with that MPH.Keep at it man you will get there.

Congrats on getting it out to the track!

FEP Super Member

16* with a total of 36-38 in by 3000 rpm is about optimal , reducing your inital does not mean it will reduce your total timing .
    The total is adjusted with springs and stops inside the base of the distributer on an 85 duraspark .....and if you are running a vac.advance there are adjustments to be made there also .
    you can gain a lot of info with an onboard vac gauge , and reading the exhaust color also .
    But you probably know this already
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Member

i recurved my dis already with soft springs, i have a 10L and 15L reluctor arms so i can only adjust my total through my initial. i know i need a msd box and all of the sort, but its just not in the cards at the moment...im getting no overtime at work, no overtime=no toys, keep this in mind as you respond...lol
    man...i hope you guys are right about the 12's, id be tickeled pink. my dad gave me a set of 255/50/16 bfg d/r, but they got about three seasons on them, i guess they are better than nothing though, so ill mont these up too.

FEP Member

carrying a on board vac. gauge...what will this be able to tell me ? i was taught and grew up with efi, so this carb stuff is new to me...

what's you 1/8 time and mph on that run? did you pull your front sway bar?
    "I'm a mental patient, I'm suppose to act out!"

You have enough MPH to run well into the 12s and your combo looks like it can make alot more than what your making now. I have a friend that has built alot of FS type motors and he says that the P heads (I think thats what you have?) do not like alot of timming. He says that they have a fast burn chamber and thats why he runs them around 32* max.I know that there is alot of others things like cam timming that will effect this but I aggree with others in that you need to back it down.
    FWIW my friend has the same heads unported and with a stock cam (FS) and he has run 111 mph. I think when your car is all sorted out and in good weather I think you are going to be suprised at what the car is capable of.

Good luck,have fun.
    A bunch of 85gt's

Maybe I overlooked it in someone else's post, but....
    I'm thinking that if you want to succeed on the race track, you ought to use race tires.
    :^)
    Pick up a pair of 10-holes and a NEW (not used) set of M/T 26x8.5 slicks and you will be SHOCKED how much more fun you'll have at the drag strip.
    Sounds like an oversimplification of a complicated topic....but consider my advice. BTDT.
    Matt
    Last edited by megamustang; 04-02-2007 at 05:24 PM.
    Matt Eggleton
    85GTvert
    http://www.eggleton.net/megamustang/85GTvert/index.html

FEP Member

guy at work has a set of m/t 26-8.5, said hell give me cheap...very few runs on them, i got a pair of ten holes to my access also. i will definiently take everyones advise and back the timing. i did not remove my sway bar as this car is not a dedicated strip car...i like high speed "therapy" runs on the back roads, thats why i have the springs and shocks that i do, and i know this is hurting me with 0 weight transfer...so mabey i would be better off with the 26x8.5 slicks vs. d/r's. my 1/8 et was 8.747 @ 81.68, 330ft-5.754, 1000ft-11.284.

FEP Member

megamustang...thats a sweet gt, im a big fan of the 85gt. somewhat similar to mine car too, same color and whatnot, the car i have now is the spittin' image of what i had in high school so shes special to me...gettin a little off topic here, sorry

Next time out just remove the links off of the front sway bar. Only takes a few seconds and you can re connect them when your ready to go home.

FEP Member

well i got som new m/t et streets 255/50/16...hopefully this will show an improvement. backed my timing and knocked my jetting down a hair, later this afternoon i will do some holeshots and some pretend quater runs in front of the house (i live in the sticks). prob. wont get to the track for another week or two.

FEP Member

does removing the sway bar really help your 60' that much ?

Yes. With it connected it wont let the front raise up and transfer the weight over the rear end. Usualy worth 1-1.5/10ths.

FEP Member

huh, guess ill have to try that.

Slicks=12's for you

I ran a 13.015 at 103.6 with the combo in the sig.......

Friends dont let friends go to the track without slicks.
    OOTB TW heads , AFM B4 cam , Systemax , 4.30's
    2900w/ driver
    Best 1/4..... 11.51 @116 mph...1.52 60ft...1933 D/A
    Need a cage to go faster.

Running your car on an engine dyno will not tune it properly.The engine in not loaded the same as when you are making a pass down the track.Mph is a better indicator of horsepower than et.You can put the stock jets in and run it that way.Then try shifting consistently and move your shift points around seeing if you incrimentals are getting better.Then work on jetting ,then timing.If you are using unleaded fuel you should not have color on the spark plug.(a new set not driven a hundred miles or more.)Spark plug is just an indicator of whats happening in the cylinder.(unless you are way off the mark with heat range.)if you are not making hundereds of horsepower above stock ,your stock heat range plug will work.(rule of thumb a 100 hp increase over stock is 1 heat range colder and so on.) Engine temp. will effect timing more than heat range.Most people don't keep the oil,water ,trans temp equalized on test and tune,so they just end up chasing thier tail.

My .02 cents.
    Worlds fastest 357 c.i.d.,1983 Crimson Cat,Mercury Capri RS with one Holley Dominator,One nitrous system,Turbo 400,Nine inch,All steel and glass,except hood,95% stock floor,Almost all stock interior(8.31 166)Under Reconstruction! 25.5 Complete now!

1978 Ford Fairmont Stationwagon,393 Windsor,OTMC,Turbo-350,8.8 31 spline axles,steel spool,C-Clip Elim,T/A cover,4.30 gear,MM Adj.Lowers,Baseline Pro-launch#2,Anti-roll bar,UPR K-member,A-arms,Coilover kit,Manual rack,Bumpsteer kit.Engine complete 648hp, 508lbft tq.93 octane N/A.