Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Now that's an interesting cage setup. Any difficulties, confusion, or amusing comments from any tech guys on that?

I really like the car, and it's nice to watch a professional quality video for a change instead of the jerky, out of focus ones that most people seem to post!
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by srad2drag View Post
    More info on the wheels please
    That's been a hot question from everyone asked by everyone that has seen the car! The wheels Weld Racing's 17-inch AlumiStar 2.0s. The fronts are 17" x 4.5" and the rears are 17" x 9". To keep it simple, they're '05-up Mustang wheels. Obviously, they fit on a Fox 'Stang--with an 1/8" spacer and we needed to modify the lug-nut holes on the rears just a little, but it's really not a big deal. The rear tires are 275/40 17s by Mickey Thompson (Nittos are pictured in this photo). The fronts aren't traditional "racing" skinnies. Hoosier is the only company I could find that makes a 17-inch, narrow front tire that works/gives up the right "look." I forget the size, but they're used by street rodders and they worked perfectly on the coupe.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by evlgt85 View Post
    Now that's an interesting cage setup. Any difficulties, confusion, or amusing comments from any tech guys on that?
    Nothing really, Skye. I guess the only thing I thought was amusing in Tech was that the inspector was kind of passing the car off to be a lot less than what it is (supercharged, etc). He never looked at anything under the hood, and didn't realize the cage is NHRA certified until he saw that I had written the certification number on the Tech card. He had to go back and check it.

Actually, I'm not trying to throw the guy under a bus or anything, but the car wasn't scrutinized nearly as much as I thought it might be. Dude checked belts, battery/battery switch and that was pretty-much it, and this was at Fontana, so I'm sort of surprised it wasn't a deeper inspection. Glad my ride is safe nonetheless!

Blog Entries

I'd love to watch some of the guys I've dealt with at Firebird be bamboozled by it. One thing I've noticed with tech guys is the cleaner and better presented the car is, the less scrutiny it seems to get. Since it's blatanty obvious that your car isn't suffering from shortcuts or shoddy work, that's probably a good part of why they didn't get out the fine tooth comb on it.

Definitely like the cage, it's a cool and unexpected detail to the car to set it off just a bit more. Not like the car is lacking in that department, though.

Are the wheels much lighter than stock because they look really good..I have pro-stars now and looking at those wheels makes me want to change up again..
    86 coupe
    1993 GT
    My 10 Sec street cars

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by srad2drag View Post
    Are the wheels much lighter than stock because they look really good..I have pro-stars now and looking at those wheels makes me want to change up again..
    The wheels are feather light. I'm talkin', really, really light, and they're embossed with "For Drag Race Use Only" around the outside ring. I'm pretty much going to adhere to the advisory and run the bigger "street" wheels I've got for the coupe, even though the car's "look" is killer with the Weld wheels mounted. I'll be absolutely sick if I taco one of these wheels by accidently hitting a hole or something in the street while cruising. Don't get me wrong, I'll maybe take a chance here or there when driving around the neighborhood or out to the Friday night cruise spot that's a few blocks away, but if I take the car to work or something or really go for a trip that stretches some miles, these street wheels/tires (Shelby GT 500 replica and Nittos) will be on the car!

FEP Member

I wanna work for 5.0
    99 gt with 03 cobra swap and tko600
    05 Saleen Stage II Procharged
    04 Durango
    01 CRV

looks great but I'd have to paint the mirrors, 1/4 window trim and door handles black.....

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Jones View Post
    That's been a hot question from everyone asked by everyone that has seen the car! The wheels Weld Racing's 17-inch AlumiStar 2.0s. The fronts are 17" x 4.5" and the rears are 17" x 9". To keep it simple, they're '05-up Mustang wheels. Obviously, they fit on a Fox 'Stang--with an 1/8" spacer and we needed to modify the lug-nut holes on the rears just a little, but it's really not a big deal. The rear tires are 275/40 17s by Mickey Thompson (Nittos are pictured in this photo). The fronts aren't traditional "racing" skinnies. Hoosier is the only company I could find that makes a 17-inch, narrow front tire that works/gives up the right "look." I forget the size, but they're used by street rodders and they worked perfectly on the coupe.

I just seen the price for those wheels. Gulp.......I almost passed out.
    the fronts are 547.00 ea. the rears are 623.00 ea.
    86 coupe
    1993 GT
    My 10 Sec street cars

KJ... love the car... you did good man! You make us all proud!
    Last edited by Marz; 04-02-2007 at 01:43 PM.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

saw the car on SBP.com KJ, looks incredible...

I have seen this car in person and it it definitely awesome!
    Brian
    82 GLX
    EFI 302/AOD out of an 88 Crown Vic.
    Notchback.
    Marlo's Frame and Alignment
    Frame and Suspension Shop as seen in 5.0 Magazine, Mustang Monthly, Mustang & Fords, etc.
    All Mustang and Ford Club of So Cal

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

WOW! KJ, the car looks AWESOME! I love the wheels too. I applaud your efforts to build it the way that you wanted it. Your taste really shows. I'm also jealous of those 11 second timeslips!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

The car turned out real nice and we NEED more pics of the car with the welds on it. That is by far the best looking wheel on the market.Nice car.
    A bunch of 85gt's

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by jleews6 View Post
    The car turned out real nice and we NEED more pics of the car with the welds on it. That is by far the best looking wheel on the market.Nice car.
    Sorry, but from this point forward, you'll have to get your fix for pics by checking out the remaining articles in 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords. You may have noticed, there really haven't been any photos of the "whole car" in any of the stories in this build series. Consider the pics of the car (and those Welds) that have been posted on the 'Net as a treat to all of you guys. I believe there are two more Tech stories to go (Jul and Aug '07), and a full-on feature article (with shots of those wheels) will appear in the Oct '07 issue. Thanks for following along.

It almost goes without saying that folks will be taking pictures of the coupe at the Knott's show in a couple of weeks, so you'll almost certainly be able to see more photos of the wheels by the time people get home and start posting on the 'Net...I just can't post any more. Buy the book!

Nice ride!

Great job K.J. ! Outstanding !!!

I want to work for 5.0 magazine when I grow up.

FEP Senior Member

I like it, has that resto-mod look.

Gives me ideas for my 81 T-top coupe though Im planning more of a autocross-roadrace car and Im planning to keep the I6 motor.
    85 Mustang Coupe, 3.3L I6, C4, 8.8 3L23, 17x8 wheels. About 70% towards firing it up.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anlushac11 View Post
    I like it, has that resto-mod look.

Gives me ideas for my '81 T-top coupe though I'm planning more of a autocross-road race car and I'm planning to keep the I6 motor.
    Thanks, man. We like to refer to the look as, "Fox-rod," but it's all good.

Feel free to take the ideas...just don't forget where you got the ideas from!

Good luck with your coupe, man!

The car looks SWEET! Great job!

What's up with the Mav in the background?

FEP Super Member

Dang nice coupe, and glad this site was able to help out. With the car getting national exposure, I'm sure the 4eyes will be getting just a little more respect now. Maybe we could get a shameless plug in 5.0; kind-of like an "If you would like to see more of these types of cars, check out www.foureyedpride.com; they are a big help for those with early foxes." sort of thing. Nonetheless....outstanding car!
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Jones View Post
    Unfortunately, there probably will be some enthusiasts who are just set on the idea that the car should have been restored to its 100% original flavor, and a roll cage should not have been installed, and a supercharged 347 should have been spared in favor of a stock 5.0.
    cough... cough... MOCC cough... cough...
    Brian
    82 GLX
    Notchback.
    Frame and Suspension Shop as seen in 5.0 Magazine, Mustang Monthly, Mustang & Fords, etc.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clarko View Post
    cough... cough... MOCC cough... cough...
    Hahahahahahahahaha! Good one, Brian! I got the paperwork for that outfit's June show. Since it's just down the street from the house, I guess I'll roll the couptie out there and sit in the sun for a day. It'll be interesting to see how many "votes" the car gets. I swear, it seems like some'a the folks in that group would have their classic 'Stang sit down at the dinner table with them and eat, if there was any way possible for it to happen. Hahahahahaha!

I'm gonna call you guys next week and make the appointment for that alignment, etc. Need to get that handled before the "big show" in Anaheim!

I got to work on it. at all of you!
    J/k!
    The car is super super super nice underneath with the subframe connectors and the tubular k-member looks great. The electric waterpump that's in the radiator is trick. Buy the mag and go to the show!
    Brian
    82 GLX
    Notchback.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast