Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    FEP Member

Default 5.0's T-top Coupe Goes Racing

Here's a link to the interview and video footage of my T-top coupe's dragstrip debut. Enjoy!

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/index.p...flv&playlist=1

Blog Entries

Car looks freaking awesome! I love the wheels. Looks like it launches reeeal nice.

Oh yeah!
    -Mike Malone
    69 Mach1, 81 LX, 83 GT Turbo, 85.5 SVO 9L, 86 SVO 2A, 86 GT, 90 LX 5.0 - and a badass 84 LTD Wagon

I love that guage panel. Great lookin car. I'd like to see more about the wiring job you did. my 84's factory wiring is getting pretty ratty. I have a gray box fast system in it.. It is sequintial(sp?) I still have the a/c and heater in it. The Fast harness, with all its relays right there at the front, is making a mess on the passenger side of the car.

One awesome car... love the 4 eye coupes.

The notch turned out great and runs very well. Very nice!
    86 GT 363 w/80mm turbo-currently under construction
    19 F-150 Lariat Supercrew-DD

nice job kj! i was just reading the wiring article this morning

Great car, been reading about it for a while. It's nice to see it go down the track, looks like it hooks real well. Congrats
    86 LX coupe, the other house payment
    85 ltd wagon, the surfwagon

Sweet Car! Congrats!
    Brett
    ------
    85 Capri GS 5.0, 5 speed, T-top 147,000 miles.
    Offroad H-pipe and Magnaflow mufflers.

My WebShots Gallery!

FEP Member

Nice car hope my 84 looks that good when it's done. goes to the body shop saturday! being that you guys replaced the weatherstripping on it what company did you use to purchase it?
    99 gt with 03 cobra swap and tko600
    05 Saleen Stage II Procharged
    04 Durango
    01 CRV

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by IEATLT1 View Post
    Nice car hope my 84 looks that good when it's done. goes to the body shop saturday! being that you guys replaced the weatherstripping on it what company did you use to purchase it?
    Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your comments and response to the T-top coupe. And, thanks to those of you who have followed the buildup each month in 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords. I appreciate your support, and hope that now that the project is pretty much completed, those who were skeptical, concerned, etc about how the car would turn out...or possibly be "ruined" by excessive modifications...will now see and understand that I wasn't out to desecrate the rare coupe, I just wanted to restore and modify the car so that it's able to play two roles--street and strip--and play both of them well.

Unfortunately, there probably will be some enthusiasts who are just set on the idea that the car should have been restored to its 100% original flavor, and a roll cage should not have been installed, and a supercharged 347 should have been spared in favor of a stock 5.0. I just didn't see it that way. What you all have seen is purely "my vision" of a street/strip 'Stang that has come together as this T-top coupe. I'm OK with it, and the bottom line is that "it is what it is."

There are a few more articles remaining in the series and I hope you all will continue to follow along. I hope the information has been or will be helpful to those of you who are doing similar Fox-Rod projects. As far as weather strips are concerned, I purchased those items through Late Model Restoration. 5.0 Resto has just about everything for T-top cars and Brian Mertz is very knowledgable and helpful. Good luck with your project. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Shucks KJ. You haven't ruined the car. It is fantastic.
    Now, find me another set of those wheels for mine

-Matt

The car looks awesome.!!
    Greg

83 CAPRI GS 5.0
    82 CAPRI RS 5.0

FEP User

That is one awesome car!!!!!
    86 LX Convertable
    88 GT Convertable
    91 GT
    93 Coupe
    04 GT

Beautiful car! Thanks for sharing the vid KJ! Looking forward to reading more about it in the magazine too!

gtluke

holy crap you have a set of xp's
    dude those rule. i've been looking for a set forever
    awesome car and interview

Great looking car! I followed the build-up in the mag. For what it 's worth, I don't think you ruined it. You did exactly what I would do to it. To restore it all stock would make it boring and slow as hell. Yes, It would be nice until a Honda pulled up to you at a light and smoked you. I think you made it the best of both worlds as far as the looks and power go. Have fun with it, I know I would!
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

Awesome car. Im jealous, I wish mine was a coupe
    408 C.I.-Sleeper

First of all, great ride. After reading the first article you made me want to get a t-top coupe. I actually found one here in MI not far from where I live and it's white. Didn't want the wifey to get upset since I already have this mustang.
    86GT,302,T5/Z-spec,K&N, Cobra Intake, Pulleys, 3:73's, 190lph fuel pump, 3-chamber Flows, subframes, Weld Draglites big and littles with M/T.
    6/06-Milan Dragway
    60ft. = 1.94
    330ft = 5.82
    1/8 et = 9.04
    1/8 mph = 76.65
    1000' et = 11.82
    1000' mph = 87.10
    e.t = 14.18
    mph = 96.14

Good stuff!! That's a sweet drag car. I kinda wish you would have put the interior back in, since it is a rare car but thats what I would have done. you made it yours and it's(or I hope it is) exactly what you wanted out of the build.
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

You can do my GT Turbo next if you'd like, but I want it back when you're done. Great job on an awesome car!!!
    83 GT Turbo

sweet! I've been following the coupe in the articles since day one. hopefully my coupe will grace the pages. I've went through plenty of mustangs, but the coupe is a keeper. you still gonna do drag week?
    "I'm a mental patient, I'm suppose to act out!"

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    Good stuff!! That's a sweet drag car. I kind'a wish you would have put the interior back in, since it is a rare car, but that's what I would have done. You made it yours and it's (or I hope it is) exactly what you wanted out of the build.
    The interior IS back in the car! I restored the OEM interior panels, redid the stock seats, headliner, carpet (with Accumat), console, dash (w/Florida 5.0 instrument cluster), etc. It's a STREET (first)/Strip car, bro. We took it to the track, and will take it again--more and more--but the primary theme of the car is street cruiser...that runs 10s...on straight-up 91-octane fuel. Actually, having all of that interior stuff contributes to the car's portly weight of nearly 3,300 pounds...and I still haven't installed all of the stereo stuff. I don't know what interior pieces you're talking about specifically, but most of the car's interior has been returned to the interior. Obviously, the drag-race items are for safety (harnesses, window net, roll cage, etc).

I'm sure you get the idea now. The interior IS "all there," for the most part. Thanks, dude. I'm glad you like the car. Good luck with yours!

More info on the wheels please
    86 coupe
    1993 GT
    My 10 Sec street cars

FEP Super Member

Car looks sweet. Thats not the direction that I would have taken however the car is bad ass.

Mad props on keeping the 4 eye look. Gotta love it.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast