Close

Default LTD and LTDLX difference?

Can anyone tell me the differences between these two models? I found a LTD I kinda want to jump on, but I've been looking for a LX (solely based on what I know from the Mustang LX) and I'm curious if there are any major differences or weight reduction.

The LTD I've found is an ex-cop car...is there a special way to identify it as such via VIN, or were there any differences in the cars slotted for police use?

And third, and less important... I started out on my search for a four-door sleeper looking for Fairmonts...but am I right in my understanding that the LTD is just the continuation of that model line, with a different name, and there are no real differences between a Fairmont and a LTD? The car I'm looking at is an '85, by the way.

Four door Fox Mustang, how can these cars not be more popular? Sheesh...

FEP Senior Member

Default ltd

Look at both cars and you will see how close they are. I have a 78 box top zephyr that I have had the ft clip off of a mercury marquise on,it was a sta wag. they are the same sheet metal .dashes and other easy to change components are the main differences. I wanted a ltd sta wag. couldn't find one so went with a 80 z wagon. there are some differences but I think you will find them small.
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

There is some really good information on this site as well:

http://www.ltdlx.org/
    81 CAPRI Best pass: 9.39 @ 142 with 1.25 60 ft.
    *******Naturally aspirated 408W*******

What about the weight differences in the Fairmont and LX. The sales brochure puts the curb weight of a 79 Fairmont Futura at 26## pounds.
    Phillip
    1979 Fairmont Futura-SOLD to save a Ranchero
    1980 Fairmont Futura-Future street/strip car
    1979 Mercury Zephyr-Parts car
    2002 Mustang GT Vert-Daily Driver/For Sale
    1981 Mercury Zephyr Villager SW-Daily Driver soon
    1978 Fairmont Sedan-V8 parts car

I'd love for a 4-door under 3000lbs, so I might pass on this police LTD just to get into an earlier Fairmont if they really weigh around 2700-2900lbs.

Information is a little difficult to get on these cars. Thanks for that website, by the way. Taught me a few things I didn't know.

Doesn't seem like there's much difference to a modder between a LTD and a LTDLX (I thought the LX might be a lightweight, but found no mention of that...). My other concern now is differences between the LTDs and the Fairmonts.

Ok...

The Cop LTD was a V8, had a 140mph speedo with no tach, column shift, and looked just like your normal granies mid sized LTD. Also the Cop LTD used the LTD LX springs, shocks, and sway bars. The Cop LTD had some special cop add ons like an Oil cooler, Power steering cooler, a better transmission cooler, k-member brace and better alternator (usually a 100A 1G large case alt. ).

The LTD LX had a special interior, 85 mph speedo with 7K tach, floor shift, bucket seats, special "blacked out" trim (85 only), Center console, special springs (650 front/275 rear), shocks, and front and rear sway bars.

Fairmonts are still a lot more common than that Mid sized cop LTD your looking at. Get the COP LTD.

Also, the unibody on the LTD's were braced better than the fairmonts.

Look up LTDScott... who is also the owner of LTDLX.org... and you will see what you can do to an LTD LX.
    Last edited by Marz; 03-20-2007 at 07:47 PM.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Quote Originally Posted by Duende View Post
    I'd love for a 4-door under 3000lbs, so I might pass on this police LTD just to get into an earlier Fairmont if they really weigh around 2700-2900lbs.

Information is a little difficult to get on these cars. Thanks for that website, by the way. Taught me a few things I didn't know.

Doesn't seem like there's much difference to a modder between a LTD and a LTDLX (I thought the LX might be a lightweight, but found no mention of that...). My other concern now is differences between the LTDs and the Fairmonts.
    The LX in the LTD use does not mean lighter. Actually... it is probably he heavier than a normal I4 or V6 LTD. The cop LTD may be a slight bit lighter than a LTD LX... but that may depend on the options ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearmont View Post
    What about the weight differences in the Fairmont and LX. The sales brochure puts the curb weight of a 79 Fairmont Futura at 26## pounds.
    Fairmont 4 door is lighter than the Fairmont Futura.

Quote Originally Posted by Marz View Post
    Fairmont 4 door is lighter than the Fairmont Futura.
    this is music to my ears...
    ~~~Project Granny Sled~~~
    ~~~4 doors and some hurt feelings~~~
    79 Ford Fairmont with ALOT of mustang parts

Sure is...

I can already see the stunned expressions in my town.

Quote Originally Posted by Duende View Post
    Sure is...

I can already see the stunned expressions in my town.
    :nod: times 2
    ~~~Project Granny Sled~~~
    ~~~4 doors and some hurt feelings~~~
    79 Ford Fairmont with ALOT of mustang parts

Ok...

The Cop LTD was a V8, had a 140mph speedo with no tach, column shift, and looked just like your normal granies mid sized LTD. Also the Cop LTD used the LTD LX springs, shocks, and sway bars. The Cop LTD had some special cop add ons like an Oil cooler, Power steering cooler, a better transmission cooler, k-member brace and better alternator (usually a 100A 1G large case alt. ).

The LTD LX had a special interior, 85 mph speedo with 7K tach, floor shift, bucket seats, special "blacked out" trim (85 only), Center console, special springs (650 front/275 rear), shocks, and front and rear sway bars.

Fairmonts are still a lot more common than that Mid sized cop LTD your looking at. Get the COP LTD.

Look up LTDScott... who is also the owner of LTDLX.org... and you will see what you can do to an LTD LX.
    Well said, Mr. Ross.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Ok...

Absolutely, thank you very much for the detailed and informative reply. That was exactly what I was looking for.