Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FEP Super Member

If you're into that sort of thing! I used to read Car Craft...mostly Chevy stuff though. But they have been getting better lately...more of the non-BowTie stuff showing up (you can only do so many stories on the same stuff!).
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

Quote Originally Posted by 86GT2go View Post
    If you're into that sort of thing! I used to read Car Craft...mostly Chevy stuff though. But they have been getting better lately...more of the non-BowTie stuff showing up (you can only do so many stories on the same stuff!).
    Yeah, they broke thru with the Feb. '06 edition when they published a great article on the 460 buildup. I thought Jeff Smith did a great job on the article even tho he is a die-hard Chebbie guy.

Gave www.460ford.com some exposure.

This one of the coolest threads i've seen i a long time. those wheels look friggin awesome in 17". can't wait to see the stang trx's stretched.
    79 302 cobra project

You could start a buisness making the metric rims to 15/16/or 17 inch and make a killing. i want a set of trx's for my ttop coupe.
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    You could start a buisness making the metric rims to 15/16/or 17 inch and make a killing. i want a set of trx's for my ttop coupe.
    I have made a prediction that someday real soon someone (probably someone on this board) is going to fork out the dough to have the 79-84 TRX Mustang wheels reproduced in a 15 inch size. ( because that is the closest to 15.3 inches or 390 MM )

Of course, some other TRX customers will have to pitch in to help defray the cost. The technology is out there. All that is needed is money.

For us 83-84 TRX T-Bird owners, reproduction will probably never happen tho.

Krass n Bernie RULE!!!! LOL And so does your rim project!! Keep us posted. RAY
    86 Capri 5.0/5spd: Too many mods to list
    93 5.0/5sp LX: Silver, 3,980 miles: now stored
    84 Thunderbird TurboCoupe: she's back!!
    84 Capri RS- T-top car built for my wife
    83 Thunderbird Heritage 5.0
    79 F100, new parts hauler and toy vehicle
    78 Bronco Custom: 2-wheel conversion project
    73 Mach1 -351C-5spd
    64 Galaxie 500 390 Z-code
    55 Ford Customline Sedan-long term project

FEP Super Member

Keep your TRX conversions coming...they look great (who knows, one of these days I might send you a set of the Lincoln wheels for you to play with!).
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

those look so great! did they balance out alright? what did you weld them together with?
    '66 mustang coupe- 89 302ho T-5Z 3.80's

Quote Originally Posted by superhighoutput View Post
    well if they start sending me checks again,FREE DASH PADS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

Well, I polished my wheels yesterday and I believe I like the polished look better than the Satin. The rear tires are temporary until my new M&H 325 -17 drag radials come in.

Last edited by 83-88T-Bird Guy; 04-19-2007 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fordguy View Post
    those look so great! did they balance out alright? what did you weld them together with?
    Actually, they are bolt-in. I am trying to find a wheel co. that can take my centers and put them in some blank hoops.

More pics:

Name:  Side Shot wpolished TRX.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  Rear Wheel polished.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  Left front shot Polished.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  48.2 KB

Those things are friggin awesome.
    79 302 cobra project

I acquired 2 sets of Mustang TRXs a while back with the hopes of doing exactly what you are doing with them. F N SWEET!

Am I understanding this right? You said the centers are bolted in and not welded in? Do you have pictures of the back sides of the wheels and a ballpark cost of doing this? Any additional specific of what was done would be a great help.

Scott
    NASA Rocky Mountain
    HPDE Group Leader and CMC Racer

Quote Originally Posted by MHISSTC View Post
    I acquired 2 sets of Mustang TRXs a while back with the hopes of doing exactly what you are doing with them. F N SWEET!

Am I understanding this right? You said the centers are bolted in and not welded in? Do you have pictures of the back sides of the wheels and a ballpark cost of doing this? Any additional specific of what was done would be a great help.

Scott
    Yes, they are bolt in..... had to use 3" long wheel studs to do it.

The centers I cut out with my chop saw and then I took them to a machine shop and they were put on a lathe and finished to the diameter of the inside of the wheel. Centers can be taken on and off in a minute or 2.

It cost me $ 20.00 apiece to machine the centers and then I paid a local welder $ 20.00 to TIG weld the valve stem holes closed for all 4. All together I have about $ 200.00 in 4 used wheels, 4 machined centers and a ton of labor sanding and polishing everything.

Name:  MVC-004S.JPG
Views: 661
Size:  45.2 KB
    Last edited by 83-88T-Bird Guy; 05-21-2007 at 04:30 PM.

now i get it, they are hubcaps. still cool though
    '66 mustang coupe- 89 302ho T-5Z 3.80's

Quote Originally Posted by superhighoutput View Post
    well if they start sending me checks again,FREE DASH PADS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

Ohhh...that's cheating. Very ingenious. I bet we're all kicking ourselves for not thinking of getting the TRX look that way first.

That seems to be quite a hunk of aluminum to use as a beauty insert. Do you have the wheels balanced or indexed in some way for a particular orientation of the insert, or possibly zero balance the insert so it doesn't need indexing once the wheel/tire assembly is balanced by itself?

Are you using some type of "shield" to produce the black background so as not to see the parent wheel through the inserts?
    NASA Rocky Mountain
    HPDE Group Leader and CMC Racer

Quote Originally Posted by MHISSTC View Post
    Ohhh...that's cheating. Very ingenious. I bet we're all kicking ourselves for not thinking of getting the TRX look that way first.

That seems to be quite a hunk of aluminum to use as a beauty insert. Do you have the wheels balanced or indexed in some way for a particular orientation of the insert, or possibly zero balance the insert so it doesn't need indexing once the wheel/tire assembly is balanced by itself?

Are you using some type of "shield" to produce the black background so as not to see the parent wheel through the inserts?
    The "shield" used is common disk brake dust shields.

As for the balancing issue: I plan to register the Turbo Coupe in June and will road test the centers then. My theory on the balance is this: The wheel and tire combo will be balanced already, and the centers should be balanced very close already.
    I cannot see why there might be a balance issue.

I am more concerned about the torque used on those 1/2 inch wheel studs to secure the centers backing off and the lugs becoming loose.

That is where I will torque to a specified setting with my torque wrench and then re-check after driving. I hope I will not have to apply a small amount of thread locker to my wheel studs.

nice, great idea i knew i kept my mustang TRX wheels around for a reason!

~Mark~
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

Well, finially I got the TC registered yesterday and road tested the new wheel/tire combo.

Everything feels good. Car rides the same with or without the centers installed. Wheel vibration was not an issue.

I am going to call this test a success. ....Now for some shorter front A arms and rear axles.

very PIMP
    ~~~Project Granny Sled~~~
    ~~~4 doors and some hurt feelings~~~
    79 Ford Fairmont with ALOT of mustang parts

Quote Originally Posted by ncontt View Post
    very PIMP
    Thank you.

Thought I would post some updated photos with the new M&H 325-40-17 Drag radials.

Yes, those are skinny "325"'s on the 8 inch wide wheels, but that is how M&H sells their Drag Radials. (looks more like a 275 mm tire to me)

My 275-55-16 M&H Drag Radials on Factory 7 in. wheels look like 245 or 255 BFG size.

Cannot explain why their tires are so skinny.

that is a killer idea! looks sharp.

Those turned out soooo killer!!! Great job Man!!
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/R825OH
    ALL BLING & NO ZING MAKE RICKY A RICER !!

82 5.0 GL
    74 F100 Custom 302/auto
    67 Volvo 122S

Thanks guys. I need to change the front control arms to Mustang pieces and then I can run 245-50-16 on the front. Right now I have 225-55.

Here is a couple of links to videos with the car in motion and with my wife driving.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast