Close

Default Edelbrock heads, threaded insert question

On my Edelbrock rpm heads, the bolt hole that holds the alternator stud has a threaded insert in it. When I removed the stud from the head, the insert came out with it. I've been trying to remove the insert from the stud so I can screw the insert back into the head where it belongs. So far the stud and insert have defeated all my efforts.

Here's the insert and stud in question:

Here's the hole in the head it came out of:

I thought if I put two nuts on the insert, then tightened them against each other, and put them in the vise, I could turn the stud out. I thought I was getting it till I noticed that the vice-grip was merely slipping on the stud, but not turning it. So I used a small pipe wrench on it, which gripped the stud, but no matter how tight I made the nuts, the insert would turn out of the nuts instead of the stud turning out of the insert. Liberal application of liquid wrench did not help. I was forced to retreat and regroup today, but tomorrow I intend to rejoin the battle with my buddy the torch on my side.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Is it possible to just buy a new insert? I don't see anything like that on Edelbrock's website, where would I get one?

The threads in the head where the insert goes look to be fine, and I would just screw the stud and insert back in together if I was reusing it, but I'm going to a different set of heads, and intend to ebay these. I don't want there to be any problem with them that will hurt the resale value.

Any help will be appreciated.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

FEP Member

I have seen them available. I cannot remember where. I know it's not much help but I can tell you they are out there.
    "The fact that "replica" is written down the side of your gun, and "Desert Eagle point five oh" is written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking!"

That kinda looks like a Timesert.

I had to do a whole set of 20 timeserts in my aluminum Northstar block. I'm not postive they are the same but timesert sells all kinds of fittings for aluminum blocks and heads.

www.timesert.com

You'll need to know the thread size / pitch both inside and outside. Good luck searching this.

Betcha that stud has some loc-tite holding it on. The torch will be your friend but something tells me the insert won't be reusable.

Quote Originally Posted by slow84lx View Post
    That kinda looks like a Timesert.

I had to do a whole set of 20 timeserts in my aluminum Northstar block. I'm not postive they are the same but timesert sells all kinds of fittings for aluminum blocks and heads.

www.timesert.com

You'll need to know the thread size / pitch both inside and outside. Good luck searching this.

Betcha that stud has some loc-tite holding it on. The torch will be your friend but something tells me the insert won't be reusable.
    Thanks, that's what it looks like alright. The outside thread is 5/8 - 11 and the inside is 7/16 - 14. At least I know what to ask for if the torch doesn't work out.
    408/T5/3.73's

85 GT Prod. #3,977. Holley Heads, MSD, E303, BBK Headers, Flowmaster Exhaust. Hotchkis suspension.

Those are factory ford thermactor plugs. You can get them at any auto machine shop for a couple of bucks. Pioneer brand engine parts makes them in the aftermarket. I stock them at work. I usually heat the plug with a torch and then they usually unscrew from the stud.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

I had to buy those for my World 180's. There available from Ford and they came on the E7 heads.
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

Just wanted to tell everyone who offered help that the good 'ole torch came through, and allowed me to separate the insert from the stud without any damage. Insert threaded back into head and all is well.
    408/T5/3.73's