Close

Default 1986 Notch Questions

Now, I'll start by saying I know nothing about mustangs, and I have my flame suit on should I make any Fox type mistakes.

SO on with the show.

I have an 86 notch.

Was beige, painted garnet.
    Tan interior
    4cyl 4spd

its in great shape other than the headliner is really destroyed and the back window looks...odd. Kind of like its delaminating, but I don't even know if the window was laminated on them heh.

I'm thinking of making a track car out of it. 1/4 mile, no registration, no interior, lexan the windows and drop something nasty in it.

2 questions, what would you all suggest to get that thing down to 9's

or should I sell it and get a preped car already and not destroy this one?

Thanks in advance!

uh you know nothing about foxes, yet want to go straight for the 9's?

Lots of money.

Big motor with a Big Turbo.
    Have questions about

5 Lug Conversions On 79-93 Capri/Mustangs
    Installing Longtube Headers
    Bushing Installation
    Front/Rear Suspension
    Smog Pump and A/C Delete Tips

PM Me.

Quote Originally Posted by ohno5point0 View Post
    uh you know nothing about foxes, yet want to go straight for the 9's?

Lots of money.

Big motor with a Big Turbo.
    I know nothing about Foxes, but I didn't say I know nothing about going fast

I was thinking big motor with lots-o-spray.

I definitely wont be hopping in it tuned to run 9's and hammer the thing, as I don't know how these cars behave with gobs of HP and traction.

first and foremost, subframe connectors.
    "I'm a mental patient, I'm suppose to act out!"

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by embler View Post
    first and foremost, subframe connectors.

If he is shooting for 9's, hes going to need a cage with thru the floors....

K.I.S.S. it

If the car is completely stripped, tubular suspension etc. a Healthy stock block 331/347 with some spray and/or turbo making 450rwhp or so should get you knocking on the doors of 9's. If this is going to be strictly a drag car, 351 based motor with a little spray in a stripped car will get you there easy.
    "Sometimes the "majority" only means all the fools are on the same side."

2004 F-150- RC SWB 5.4 Vortech Supercharged
    1984 GT-350 - EFI, Hellion Turbo, NX
    1979 Indy 500 Pace Car- Money Pit

Subframe connectors
    Torque Box repair kits
    Heavy duty upper and lower rear control arms
    Drag launch springs/struts
    Lose the front sway bar but NOT the rear
    Roll Bar (of course)

For drag racing they are "musts" for a fox.

From there the sky is the limit. Of course your gonna need a beefy trans and rear. At minimum your gonna need to make an 8.8 swap with some tough internals. However, going for 9's you might as well go for a 9". There are a ton of direct swap 9" kits out there for Fox bodies. Oh and the brakes suck so make sure to upgrade!

Typically parts are interchangable for 79-93 Mustangs/Capris. There are exceptions to the rule but it's a general guide.

Good luck and don't put a Chevy motor in it. The new Ford racing Boss block is the way to go. Or an "R" block or even an old A4 block! All can handle 9's easy with cubes under 365.

Default 9 sec = $$$$$$$$$

You can save ALOT of $$$$ buying someones old quality built race/track car! Cheaper to buy and upgrade than to build unless.... you are loaded.
    '79 Capri Drag/Street car 289 w/Pro street air scoop & 2" COG belt 130 Amp/Alt Alum Rad W/ Elec fan B&M Supercooler w/fan 3800 stall aod Alum driveshaft 4.11 Rear seat Delete Welded Rollcage/Subs/Upper & Lower Battle boxes Southside lower/adjust Uppers ALL Poly mounts 275/15 drag radials Silver w/ Black interior 4" Cowl hood Old school Centerlines

'79 Capri RS 302 4sp Original TRX/Louvers/Dobi plate Dove Gray w/ Black interior

'82 Capri Straight 6 auto Original Yellow (Now black) w/ Tan interior

Quote Originally Posted by 79rsx5.0 View Post
    You can save ALOT of $$$$ buying someones old quality built race/track car! Cheaper to buy and upgrade than to build unless.... you are loaded.
    The whole fun of it is to build it yourself ain't it? Qualitly or not...I don't want to buy someone else's mess...
    Just my .02

If you do gut it and the interior is in good shape other than the head liner. I WANT TO BUY THE INTERIOR!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by StangBoy; 03-10-2007 at 10:32 AM.
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

Default Look before you buy...

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    The whole fun of it is to build it yourself ain't it? Qualitly or not...I don't want to buy someone else's mess...
    Just my .02
    Let me say you have an awsome car and web site!!!

I would like to think that your cars are well built and not someone elses mess. There are quality built cars as well as backyard wanabies. I myself bought someones project with many things I would have done anyway at much greater expense and lots of time dragging it around.

I see your not to far away.....Have to hook up one day.
    '79 Capri Drag/Street car 289 w/Pro street air scoop & 2" COG belt 130 Amp/Alt Alum Rad W/ Elec fan B&M Supercooler w/fan 3800 stall aod Alum driveshaft 4.11 Rear seat Delete Welded Rollcage/Subs/Upper & Lower Battle boxes Southside lower/adjust Uppers ALL Poly mounts 275/15 drag radials Silver w/ Black interior 4" Cowl hood Old school Centerlines

'79 Capri RS 302 4sp Original TRX/Louvers/Dobi plate Dove Gray w/ Black interior

Quote Originally Posted by 79rsx5.0 View Post
    Let me say you have an awsome car and web site!!!

I would like to think that your cars are well built and not someone elses mess. There are quality built cars as well as backyard wanabies. I myself bought someones project with many things I would have done anyway at much greater expense and lots of time dragging it around.

I see your not to far away.....Have to hook up one day.
    Def...where are u from?

man you gonna be talking about spending 25-30k dollars, i don't think 450 rwhp is going to cut it to 9's in the 1/4 mile, i punched in (flywheel) 800 @7000 rpm horse and 800 lb-ft of tourque @5500 rpm in a 3000 lbs car with 50% weight distribution and a 9000 rpm redline on cartest, it comes in with a top speed of 208 mph with a quarter of 10.8 @134.4 so im thinking your going to need about 1000 to 1500 flywheel horse to do it consistently and to truly crack into 9's

Should be able to get it down to 2600 lbs. Drop in a Carbed 408 with some AFR 225's, big solid roller cam, some compression, and a little n2o.... I hate to say it but a powerglide tranny would be good for this set-up. Tie in the floors with through the floor connectors get a cage and work the suspension + rear end. It should achieve what you want while keeping it simple. It is a 4 cylinder car. Not much resale value in that.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

Quote Originally Posted by jonmark1985 View Post
    man you gonna be talking about spending 25-30k dollars, i don't think 450 rwhp is going to cut it to 9's in the 1/4 mile, i punched in (flywheel) 800 @7000 rpm horse and 800 lb-ft of tourque @5500 rpm in a 3000 lbs car with 50% weight distribution and a 9000 rpm redline on cartest, it comes in with a top speed of 208 mph with a quarter of 10.8 @134.4 so im thinking your going to need about 1000 to 1500 flywheel horse to do it consistently and to truly crack into 9's
    explain how huber does it then, pulling the front wheels. running a turbo 4 with much less power? 9 flat?
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

Amazing info, I was on another mustang forum asking similar questions and got about nothing out of it all.

306GT Those are almost my exact plans thus far.

As far as the engine, I never knew these Fox's could be that quick with that small displacement. I've been thinking (flame suit on) about the new GMP LSX Block, tall deck it can handle 500+ cubes and 2k HP .

I know hearing this must make you guys cringe, but its just something I've been toying with, if I can get into the 9's with that small displacement and save the weight, sweet!

the last person that mentioned an LSX got lynched on here, please dont mention it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
    BLAH BLAH BLAH...GMP LSX Block...BLAH BLAH BLAH
    ...............DON'T put a Chevy motor in it..............

Mike Croke

If you're new to the Foxes, it'll save you time and money to buy one that already is done, or close. Let someone else sort through the headaches and take the depreciation while you have fun. Drive it for a year while you learn these cars. Then, if you still feel the need, sell it and build one from scratch your way.

A 1982 GT that went 9.70 sold as a roller. You add an engine and you're done.

1984 GT that runs 10.28 NA. Buy this and a cheap nitrous kit and it'll click a 9.

1985 GT that went 9.22 on a small block with spray. You'd need a motor also as this is a roller.

Point is, someone else has done the chassis, safety stuff, fuel system, suspension, paint and body, etc.

Default CRUZIN TIME...Soon....

Def...where are u from?
    19061...(Marcus Hook) Weather is breaking,Time to travel(CRUZIN)to see cool cars,places and people.

About 48 ML / 48Min
    Last edited by 79rsx5.0; 03-11-2007 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StangBoy View Post
    explain how huber does it then, pulling the front wheels. running a turbo 4 with much less power? 9 flat?

im not sure, id say power to weight ratio, by the time you glass and put lexan windows in a notchback, you could probably cut the car down to 2400 lbs and he is still probably pushing 800 horse at the flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by jonmark1985 View Post
    my buddy went 9.04 at 154 in a 92 stang, 2900lbs without driver. 76mm turbo STOCK BLOCK 306. made 618hp to the wheels.
    '66 mustang coupe- 89 302ho T-5Z 3.80's

Quote Originally Posted by superhighoutput View Post
    well if they start sending me checks again,FREE DASH PADS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

make it a potato-chip, put a stock block 302 in it with inline ford heads and spray it to the grave.

Quote Originally Posted by fordguy View Post
    my buddy went 9.04 at 154 in a 92 stang, 2900lbs without driver. 76mm turbo STOCK BLOCK 306. made 618hp to the wheels.
    yeah and thats probably 800 horse at the flywheel like i said

First, Please DON'T destroy another four eye notch to make a "drag car". Just because it is a 4 cylinder car does not make it less worthy. I will happily trade you my 85 hatch (which is my current DD) for it, if you want one to make a dragster out of.
    After that, the engine and prep ideas here are good.
    1980 Coupe 4cyl, 4spd...transformation in progress
    1985 hatch 2.3...DD "Ugly but paid for"