Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Hooptie View Post
    I had the POSVO to a mathmatically worked out 153 once.

4500rpms in 5th....foot to the floor at 2:30am on an empty highway versus an H/C/I 92 GT with a 4.10

I won. A lot.
    That's not surprising....4.10 takes a lot out of the top end....
    1980 Coupe 4cyl, 4spd...transformation in progress
    1985 hatch 2.3...DD "Ugly but paid for"

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by ttowndex View Post
    That's not surprising....4.10 takes a lot out of the top end....
    Unless you are in a 4V Cobra, then it keeps right on pulling in 5th. Couple of years ago I had a '96 Mystic with exhaust, 4.10's, CAI, and a little giggle gas. Didn't spray it, but speedo showed 153 mph @ 5100 rpm. I was trying to hit 160, but the windshield started fogging up on the OUTSIDE. Only thing I can figure is the moisture was condensing on it due to the air pressure or possibly the vortex being formed by the wipers. It started about 145 and finally got halfway up the windshield by 153...1am, country highway, limited visibility...not good. I was hoping like hell a deer wouldn't jump out in front of me, because it would have been just ugly.
    Lonnie

2013 Deep Impact Blue V6 6MT....Performance Pack...Recaros....and a few mods.

FEP Senior Member Moving_Target's Avatar

1972 Volvo 142 (think flying brick) B20B: Dual sidedraft SU HIF6 carbs, 2L engine, solid lifter flat tappet cam, 9.5:1 compression, 4.30 gears. The factory rated it at 120hp (and it went like stink compared to other cars in the '80s!). It might have been up to about 125mph on a highway when someone was a younger but no less dumb person.

Ive only done that with my cobra once. Was doing around 115-120 (couldnt tell for sure with 85 speedo, estimating by the tach) was on a flat stretch of road and hit a cross wind. Felt like it picked me up. Ended up 5 ft over in the other lane. Couldnt believe i didnt roll it. Slowed down, got to my Moms place and changed my shorts. That is the last time Ive had it that fast. Only taken it to about 95 last time I had it out.

Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
    that's damn scary.....when i was younger, I took the vert to 110, maybe 120, and suddenly lost all feeling of the road, it was like I was gliding. I spoke with my father, and he said I was essentially riding on air...our cars aren't built for that kind of speed, i'll never do it again...is a very cool pic though.
    my old 00 GT did that at 130, riding on air.. kinda makes the hairs on yer neck stand on end.. akin to hydro planing or black ice..
    83 GT w/ T-Tops (JeffCleaned)
    2021 Turbo Blue Audi S5

it did kinda feel like riding on air, my shocks/struts are shot so I was getting a small bouncy effect also, thank god I didnt have to make any serious steering corrections

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12